Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

Just now, chrsyjun said:

Multiple people have posted here with nearly perfect GPA/MCAT and high CASPER scores (as they are OOP also got offer to ottawa) and they didnt seem to have button :/ which makes it really strange what Mac based their criteria off of

But that's based on the premise that the button means acceptance. We don't even know if that's true

6 minutes ago, HeyMrSnowman said:

Well I do remember hearing that it doesn't matter if the second batch or first batch of applicants are chosen in terms of physician competence.

With this reasoning, maybe Mac used a lottery system to randomly select applicants who would receive offers.

I know that is a crazy theory, but I also remember hearing that "it doesn't matter if the second batch or first batch of applicants are chosen in terms of physician competence". I just don't remember where I heard that.

If the button means Mac offer, how else can you explain the apparent randomness in stats with those who saw the button?

Just now, wolverine123 said:

Honestly considering that all the ‘accepted’ applicants have such a diverse range of CARS/GPA/Casper combos, do you guys think that McMaster might have used a lottery system?

They said they are using an "evidence-based" analysis approved at every level at the university. So I doubt that.

1 minute ago, HighAltitudeMedicine said:

Lol this thread now has over 70k views.  It has surpassed a pinned thread from 2 years ago.  

Lmao this year’s McMaster admissions video referenced the chance me statistical approach thread on McMaster subforum, which has 30k views. I’m calling it now, next year’s admissions video is going to reference Button Fiasco 2020

Just now, MedGoldfish said:

"it doesn't matter if the second batch or first batch of applicants are chosen in terms of physician competence"

Its a common saying - I have heard that too

I strongly assure you all that it has nothing to do with acceptances at other schools or a random lottery system

*Warning: info from a friend of a friend so who knows how valid it is*

my friend knows someone on Mac admissions (v closely apparently) and they told my friend that Mac actually doesn’t select for highest percentile Casper. Apparently candidates with more average Casper scores is what they select for. 

absolutely no idea If that’s true but something to think about!

Edit: to make this make a shred of sense. It was described to me like a pseudo-personality test. So ppl in different quartiles typically possess certain characteristics which they may or may not want.

Just now, RejectedAgain said:

my friend knows someone on Mac admissions (v closely apparently) and they told my friend that Mac actually doesn’t select for highest percentile Casper. Apparently candidates with more average Casper scores is what they select for. 

LMAO what? How does that even make sense, That genuinely made me laugh out loud, no offense to you your friend or their source

1 minute ago, RejectedAgain said:

Yo that's WACK. So if I'm ethical I cannot make it to this school?

Our understanding of our CASPer performance is very limited. Having received an interview to Ottawa is not a strong indicator of receiving a Mac acceptance. Ottawa seems to be weighing ABS and possibly the CAF more heavily lately. I think there is enough evidence in the amount of information shared in this thread to conclude that the reset button is related to receiving an offer, as confirmed by the OUAC staff person on Live Chat. What we may not be seeing, however, is the possibility that not ALL Mac candidates’ OMSAS has been updated. It’s possible that some Mac applicants are still waiting for The Button to show up. At any rate, I think those with the button can be cautiously optimistic that they have received an offer, and those without the button may still receive an offer if the button shows up later, or if they fix this glitch they may just get the offer through email. 

1 minute ago, RejectedAgain said:

lol okkkkkk I mentally cannot handle all this speculation :') goodnight and see you all may 12 with probably a rejection 

5 minutes ago, wolverine123 said:

Honestly considering that all the ‘accepted’ applicants have such a diverse range of CARS/GPA/Casper combos, do you guys think that McMaster might have used a lottery system?

I think it's possible. It would make sense why they aren't revealing the process because it would cause so much chaos. However, I still doubt that the button has any meaning, reminds me of the "green circle" fiasco earlier for McMaster Students

12 minutes ago, HeyMrSnowman said:

I doubt that the CASPer is valued that highly because I know someone who has received feedback for CASPer from another university (i.e. McGill) and they were in the top 5% of all applicants. That person also had a very competitive GPA and CARS but did not see the button.  Also keep in mind the individuals who received interviews OOP Manitoba.

Did McGill already give Casper feedback this cycle?