Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

1 minute ago, MedicineLCS said:

Yes, as I previously noted, the poll results are pointless at this point due to confusion. People who are corrected in this thread were removed from my spreadsheet, which you can now find here (save it before you crash another platform or it disappears!):

https://ethercalc.org/ang7zhlx47or

If it disappears you may be able to use the edit history to recover the data.

You're assuming admissions people are organized enough send in their results already. 

You can add my data. Mac / Queens / Western Interview. Have the button.

13 minutes ago, William Osler said:

43 ppl have the button - they definitely dont send out 50% more offers for ONE regional campus (quota of 29) and it would be odd to happen to 2 regional campus but not main campus. I do think it's a reflection of the entire cohort (550 interviewees) but it is a decent guess for why the GPA, CARS of #buttongang is so strange

What if the offers were just leaked for the main Hamilton campus then? Their quota is about 150

8 minutes ago, HeyMrSnowman said:

Possibly that button = all possible offers finalized for the applicant?  

But its too odd and unlikely that not one person so far who didn't have a mac interview has a button (unless they are already accepted as md/phd). 

edit: im seeing the spreadsheet now, and it look like other schools also have the button. Unless those are mdphd applicants. Applicants who only had interview at Queens and/or Ottawa also have reported the button.

1 minute ago, HeyMrSnowman said:

Possibly that button = all possible offers finalized for the applicant?  

I like this theory. 

The only problem is that, according to the spreadsheet, every school is represented with someone having a "OMSAS Button" (except NOSM!) thanks to multiple interview applicants. 

Out of the people who interviewed at MAc and see a button 6 interviewed at Queens as well, 5 at Ottawa, 9 at Western, and 4 at the UofT. 

1 minute ago, MedicineLCS said:

I like this theory. 

The only problem is that, according to the spreadsheet, every school is represented with someone having a "OMSAS Button" (except NOSM!) thanks to multiple interview applicants. 

Out of the people who interviewed at MAc and see a button 6 interviewed at Queens as well, 5 at Ottawa, 9 at Western, and 4 at the UofT. 

true, doesnt make sense that they would only get into mac

1 minute ago, HeyMrSnowman said:

if OMSAS is the system coordinating offers, it doesnt make for the button to specifically appear for Mac offers. wtf is going on

This is why I don't think we should be placing our hopes on the button. Even if this somehow did signify offers, what good would ruminating about it do at this point? 

Just now, birdpoo said:

does OMSAS show which campus you're assigned to? I thought it's only disclosed in your offer letter?

If you look in the thread from last cycle, at midnight, ppl at UofT could see MAM or TDR that meant Missisagua Academy of Medicine and Toronto Downtown Region. Offers to Mac also had MDR (McMaster Downtown Region). I'm not too sure about the TDR and MDR acronyms because I've never seen them before but MAM is def Missisagua so the other 2 make sense in that context

1 minute ago, William Osler said:

If you look in the thread from last cycle, at midnight, ppl at UofT could see MAM or TDR that meant Missisagua Academy of Medicine and Toronto Downtown Region. Offers to Mac also had MDR (McMaster Downtown Region). I'm not too sure about the TDR and MDR acronyms because I've never seen them before but MAM is def Missisagua so the other 2 make sense in that context

Oh okay thanks for clarifying! 

3 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

Not sure why some people still want to ask the live people about the button...do you think there are gonna say "yea, you're right it was our bad but whoever has the button can celebrate early this weekend!" ...

2 minutes ago, Anon_9 said:

This is why I don't think we should be placing our hopes on the button. Even if this somehow did signify offers, what good would ruminating about it do at this point? 

So people that have the button can go out and have a mass social gathering, hug their friends and extended family and celebrate their offers this weekend!

... o wait...

1 minute ago, William Osler said:

Add a data point for my accountless friend - 3.87/125 interviewed at uO and Mac no button

Which doesn't make sense with the 70/15/15 theory since their CASPer mustve been redonkulous 

Wow okay yeah the heavy CASPer weighting theory can be thrown out if the glitch indicates a mac offer.

To add a data point to people wondering why poll numbers are so low, I did have an "interview" at Mac, and have not checked whether I have a button. I don't want to give myself false hope or despair so I'm trying to stay strong and wait until May 12, and have no clue whether or not I have a button

There might be people in the same boat as me? Or others who do not check the forum, do not participate in the forum, are discouraged due to not having the button so chose not to participate in the poll, etc.

2 minutes ago, SoftTings said:

To add a data point to people wondering why poll numbers are so low, I did have an "interview" at Mac, and have not checked whether I have a button. I don't want to give myself false hope or despair so I'm trying to stay strong and wait until May 12, and have no clue whether or not I have a button

There might be people in the same boat as me? Or others who do not check the forum, do not participate in the forum, are discouraged due to not having the button so chose not to participate in the poll, etc.

You are stronger than all of us, best of luck to you, I admire your resolve