• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

-

-

Since people found this funny, will update you on what I dreamed last night as it seems to be a continuation of that dream lol.... Dream:  So its med acceptance day, but for a weird reason w

Posted Images

Just now, ThisIsMe said:

They automatically reject 200 people every year?

I thought so because every year, there's ~60-70 people who get in off the waitlist, which implies they over-offer. Every year they send out like 300-320 offers. Which means they would send out like 230-240ish offers at first? And then you have the waitlist which might be another 120 people long, maybe? That leaves like 200 people who get rejected.

1 minute ago, MedicineLCS said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the number of Mac rejections right off the bat is lower this year. They must have realized that doing this is going to affect their waitlist, and since they can't predict it, why not simply waitlist more people just in case? 

Will they rank their waitlist or have the sequence of ppl coming off be random

1 minute ago, YesIcan55 said:

I'm gonna to make a wild prediction that just like how other schools slowly adapted MMI and Casper (which Mac created)....over the years other schools are gonna do the same thing when selecting who gets in (a certain % of the top people pre-interview get in, rest are a lottery). Sounds crazy but I called it! 

They called me a madman - Thanos

"I don't feel so good Mr. Stark" - MacMed applicants when they realize they got rejected on Tuesday

4 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

I'm gonna to make a wild prediction that just like how other schools slowly adapted MMI and Casper (which Mac created)....over the years other schools are gonna do the same thing when selecting who gets in (a certain % of the top people pre-interview get in, rest are a lottery). Sounds crazy but I called it! 

I don't think Mac would ever do this again assuming interviews return as per normal next year. This is unprecedented and seemingly insane

26 minutes ago, SoftTings said:

Also now if I get accepted I won't feel nearly as proud of my accomplishment... That might sound dramatic but I want to earn a spot in the 206, not the 552 and then a ping pong ball puts me in

23 minutes ago, takasugi said:

I think many people with multiple offers may choose non-Mac schools to avoid being in the "lottery class"....

I feel this... Mac has been my number one choice since i started this journey. Now i would feel like a fake, like what's the point...

I wish they said nothing, this is actually hurting me alot

Just now, MDLD said:

Now i would feel like a fake, like what's the point...

I wish they said nothing, this is actually hurting me alot

It was "fake" the moment they scrapped the MMI and any attempt of an interview. This is their best approximation for their class of 2023 and I actually like the fairness behind a random lottery.

2 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

I really doubt it for multiple reasons. 

1. Public perception. "Medical school picks future Doctors via lottery" is a horrible headline for optics and PR purposes. Medical schools are the first (and arguably most important) step in selecting Canada's future physicians and saying that "everyone is equal before interviews" isn't going to make the public distaste for lottery systems die down. 

2. Interviews matter. They did this because they wanted to maintain their class composition, without interviews. This very much implies it's back to normal next year. There's a reason the email is entitled "Alternative admissions process" and talks about evidence. They want to use the traditional method, but can't. 

3. The long-term consequences and how our society views success. We live in a North American society that prizes individual effort, drive, resilience, and all those wonderful things. That's why our professionals are selected using this kind of system which prizes grades, test performance, and interviews. We're socialized to believe if we work hard we can obtain our goals, and introducing a lottery system permanently would directly conflict with this deep-seated cultural belief. 

Also, what European schools do is not highly relevant to what we do. We use the Canadian/American model of medical education, not a direct entry model like they tend to use. 

1 minute ago, YesIcan55 said:

if they accept top 100, they would still need to select another 225ish (from 450) so getting in from the lottery is a coin flip lol not that hard

If I flipped a coin to determine if I got shot in the head and I flip it and did not get shot in the head, I'm still buying a lottery ticket.

Another thing to keep in mind - the top 100 ranked are more likely to have multiple offers. People with multiple offers (in my opinion) will probably be less likely to accept the Mac offer with these developments. 

So even if, let's say, 50 out of 100 of the "merit-based" offers accept, that makes more than 75% of the class will have gotten in via a lottery. Insanity.

1 minute ago, William Osler said:

It was "fake" the moment they scrapped the MMI and any attempt of an interview. This is their best approximation for their class of 2023 and I actually like the fairness behind a random lottery.

i think it will always be in the back of my mind i got in over someone else just beucause a computer picked my name though

2 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

if they accept top 100, they would still need to select another 225ish (from 450) so getting in from the lottery is a coin flip lol not that hard

Well think about the sequence of events, when you were preparing your application last September, did you think for a moment that it will come down to a coin flip with no interview? Lol 

Anyways I’m done with this thread, it’s giving my stomach aches :’(