Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

I'm now starting to think button means offer. A glitch doesn't seem to make much sense as why would only some people be getting it. A glitch would show for everyone. And specifically, only Mac invitees are getting this "glitch"? Just seems unlikely. Also, the fact that Mac has confirmed their lottery process, which means that it makes sense that people with okay stats are getting the button over people with high stats. 

Hopefully the button is only showing for those who won the lottery. I don't have the button so hopefully I'm in the top 100 :(

IF button = offer, it would be for all 203 applicants as we have about 40 or so in this thread and spreadsheet and I doubt the response rate would be so high if it was top 100 or lottery alone with the button. (ie 40% of either group follow the forum and made an acc to comment) Also its definitely not top 100 since we saw many with average and below average CARS and CASPer

3 minutes ago, GLWL said:

McMaster would have been the ones to do the lottery not OMSAS as they have to also do the lottery for the waitlist.

3 minutes ago, MedicineLCS said:

Based off the percentages and raw numbers there's no way those (if they are offers) are all lottery picks. How would you even make that kind of mistake? Also, why would OMSAS do the lottery? 

What makes the most sense is that somehow when Mac uploaded their offers (top 100 or lottery) something flipped in the system. 

2 minutes ago, DrOtter said:

I'm not convinced about this. Only McMaster had the list of candidates invited for the interview, not OMSAS. So why would they make OMSAS do the random selection. It makes more sense for them to do all this selection (top 100 AND lottery) in-house and then release this list to OMSAS.

You guys are all correct lol. With that being said, by just looking at the general GPA/CARS of those who have the button it'd make sense for the button to mean a lottery offer and that the top 100 have not yet received their acceptance. But who knows. 

1 minute ago, William Osler said:

IF button = offer, it would be for all 203 applicants as we have about 40 or so in this thread and spreadsheet and I doubt the response rate would be so high if it was top 100 or lottery alone with the button. (ie 40% of either group follow the forum and made an acc to comment) Also its definitely not top 100 since we saw many with average and below average CARS and CASPer

Exactly 

2 minutes ago, TheWayIAre said:

notice how pretty much everyone who's convinced that button = offer are people who have the button?

confirmation. bias.

There's definitely something to this when you look at how many people chiming in just happen to have the button. Even if you don't, I wouldn't make a big deal of it, who knows what it means right now? No one conclusively. 

And for the record, I don't think it conclusively means an offer, while the circumstantial evidence is decently strong. 

I, for one, am looking forward to how the Mac Class of 2023, "The Buttoners", will handle this in their interview video :)

1 minute ago, pureblue said:

How much do we think the waitlist at Mac will move this time around? More? Less? Around the same?

More, unfortunately there will be those with multiple offers who would have picked Mac but do not have to be associated with the stigma or perceived stigma of being part of the lottery class and go elsewhere. How much more - who knows; my bet is on 20~ not a huge # since multiple offers is rare to begin with and Mac had a huge waitlist before

At the end of the day, I think Mac should have done what all the other schools did. They should have adapted to this unpredictable time and offered a virtual interview, whether it is a traditional panel, MMI or a split between both. I am still shocked that they cancelled interviews. This was a chance where someone with low stats can prove themselves. I really feel for all applicants that applied to Mac or Mac was their only interview, especially with this lottery news. The only fair and professional way to handle this was to offer virtual interviews. I have no idea why the opted not to do it and then chose to rank top 100 and lottery.

2 minutes ago, moonlitocean said:

FYI Mac’s admission system is not as transparent as people think. The admin has several mechanisms to ensure that if two students have similar/identical qualifications, the one from “less privileged” background will ultimately be selected

How on earth would they know who's less privileged?

3 minutes ago, moonlitocean said:

FYI Mac’s admission system is not as transparent as people think. The admin has several mechanisms to ensure that if two students have similar/identical qualifications, the one from “less privileged” background will ultimately be selected

How do you know this? And how would they know who is less privileged?

1 minute ago, theinbetween said:

At the end of the day, I think Mac should have done what all the other schools did. They should have adapted to this unpredictable time and offered a virtual interview, whether it is a traditional panel, MMI or a split between both. I am still shocked that they cancelled interviews. This was a chance where someone with low stats can prove themselves. I really feel for all applicants that applied to Mac or Mac was their only interview, especially with this lottery news. The only fair and professional way to handle this was to offer virtual interviews. I have no idea why the opted not to do it and then chose to rank top 100 and lottery.

McMaster is 100% all in on MMIs. Probably didn't want to do virtual interviews as MMIs would be pretty difficult to do this way. Would have probably had to do a more traditional interview if they wanted to do virtual interviews.

I think they should have done the UofT thing. Where you got questions/prompts and then uploaded an answer. by video .KiraTalent or whatever it was called. Would have been a pretty decent approximation of MMIs in a virutal setting

12 minutes ago, MedicineLCS said:

the circumstantial evidence is decently strong. 

but that's exactly it though. It's strong because it's being skewed that way. You could present evidence for anything if you selectively filter enough information out. There's correlation, but You could make a correlation between literally anything, like the classic example of ice cream correlating with drowning incidents.

People with the button want to believe it leads to acceptance, and they do all sorts of mental gymnastics to validate their beliefs. They share their "findings" on the forums, and others with the button believe it too, not because it's deductively true, but because they want to. Then those without the button fall into groupthink, and you get to where we are now.

I get the forums are a place to speculate and ramble, but honestly peoples' mental health hinge on this sort of thing. And people are impressionable.

2 minutes ago, takasugi said:

McMaster is 100% all in on MMIs. Probably didn't want to do virtual interviews as MMIs would be pretty difficult to do this way. Would have probably had to do a more traditional interview if they wanted to do virtual interviews.

I think they should have done the UofT thing. Where you got questions/prompts and then uploaded an answer. by video .KiraTalent or whatever it was called. Would have been a pretty decent approximation of MMIs in a virutal setting

Yeah, exactly. Honestly, anything BUT cancelling interviews. I think that was ridiculous. And then to add a lottery? 

Just now, moonlitocean said:

Yes, the more highly ranked you are, the more likely you are to get first choice. Though I’m not sure how the lottery will affect campus choice this year.

so you could say that the top 100 are likley to be in hamilton since most people put that as their first choice. 

While the lottery people are at regional campuses 

5 minutes ago, takasugi said:

One thing that is kind of odd is that they are basically saying Casper can't predict how you do on an MMI. Since if it did they could have just used the casper score.

And didn't they make casper, so this hurts them there