Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

Just now, Anon_9 said:

Has anyone tried analying the source code of the choices/offers page? I have a bit of computer science knowledge and it's definitely showing an error message, but I can't decipher what the error represents. And all my comp sci friends are giving me different answers...

what are those answers? 

1 minute ago, SoftTings said:

With all this info compiled, what do people think the button means?

The fact that there are 15+ people with very high stats but no button is very interesting ..... if it were a glitch it would make sense it's evenly distributed but it doesn't seem like it....

1 minute ago, SoftTings said:

As I previously mentioned, there is a trend with people that have super high stats (presumably top 100) who dont have the button. And we also see that those with the button are relatively average. This leads me to believe that those with the buttons are recipients of the lottery offer and those with high stats are the top 100. I am not sure why the button is only provided for the lottery subset of offers but the general trends points to me to this trend and conclusion.

4 minutes ago, SoftTings said:

Button = Offer, in this case at Mac's 2 regional campuses (58 offers) 

- Most Mac applicants ranked Hamilton over the two regional campuses. 

- Top 100 applicants would have received their pick of Hamilton along with 42 other lucky lottery picks. 

- The remaining 58 lottery picks were assigned to the regional campuses. Those with buttons generally have non-extremely high stats which leads me to believe that they're not part of the top 100

- OMSAS stores which campus you've been offered to so it makes sense that the decision for the regional campuses were accidentally revealed through the button

- I anticipate that those with extreme high stats will get offered to Hamilton. Those with similar stats but no buttons unfortunately were randomized to waitlist and reject by the lottery

1 minute ago, MDLD said:

what are those answers? 

One said it's definitely a meaningless glitch, another said it could indicate an offer but he isn't sure, another said it's a typo in the code but we have no way of knowing what it could mean.

2 minutes ago, M9V said:

As I previously mentioned, there is a trend with people that have super high stats (presumably top 100) who dont have the button. And we also see that those with the button are relatively average. This leads me to believe that those with the buttons are recipients of the lottery offer and those with high stats are the top 100. I am not sure why the button is only provided for the lottery subset of offers but the general trends points to me to this trend and conclusion.

See if my theory of button = offer from regional campus makes sense, it addresses this conundrum

10 minutes ago, Anon_9 said:

Haha oh my if we are going to go this deep, add my stats too:

I got the button glitch, GPA: 3.92, CARS: 127- didn't apply for other schools that require CASPer so not sure how well I did on it but I felt pretty okay.

16 minutes ago, wowfactor said:

I divided you guys into 3 groups. 

1. People with Button

GPA 3.6 / 130 - BUTTON

GPA 3.96 / 125 - BUTTON

GPA 3.79 / 128 - BUTTON

GPA 3.75 / 129 - BUTTON

GPA 3.85 / 128 - BUTTON

GPA 3.91 / 127 - BUTTON

GPA 3.92 / 129 - BUTTON

GPA 3.90 / 128 - BUTTON

GPA 3.91 / 129 - BUTTON

GPA 3.96 / 129 - BUTTON

GPA 3.95 / 130 (did not apply to Casper-heavy school) - BUTTON

GPA 3.85 / 131 - BUTTON

GPA 3.96 / 130 (R from UOttawa) - BUTTON

GPA 3.98 / 130 (R from UOttawa) - BUTTON

2. People without Button with higher stats (GPA 3.95 + OR /AND CARS 129+)

GPA 3.98 / 132 - NO BUTTON

GPA 3.97 / 130 - NO BUTTON

GPA 4.0 / 131 - NO BUTTON

Another GPA 4.0 / 131 - NO BUTTON

GPA 3.95 / 131 - NO BUTTON

GPA 4.0 / 129 - NO BUTTON

Another GPA 4.0 / 129 - NO BUTTON

GPA 3.98 / 130 - NO BUTTON

Another GPA 3.98 / 130 - NO BUTTON

GPA 3.98 / 129 - NO BUTTON

GPA 3.97 / 129 - NO BUTTON

GPA 4.0 / 130 - NO BUTTON

GPA 3.96 / 130 - NO BUTTON

GPA 3.97 / 132 - NO BUTTON

GPA 3.95  / 130 - NO BUTTON

3. People without Button with similar stats with people with Button

GPA 3.87 / 125 - NO BUTTON

GPA 3.96 / 128 - NO BUTTON

GPA 3.84 / 132 - NO BUTTON

GPA 3.89 / 129 - NO BUTTON

GPA 3.90 / 129 - NO BUTTON

The button should mean something, and I am really excited to see which one (group 1 or 3 ) will be accepted at Mac with group 2. Every one of us must be curious about it, so let's add button/no button on the acceptance/ rejection thread. 

I see my stats havent been included yet so I'll add mine! 3.93 GPA, 129 Cars, I have the button. I also interviewed at Ottawa.

2 minutes ago, Anon_9 said:

One said it's definitely a meaningless glitch, another said it could indicate an offer but he isn't sure, another said it's a typo in the code but we have no way of knowing what it could mean.

When glitches occur, wouldn't they be triggered by something though? Or affect everyone equally

like why did it Only appear for a seemingly similar subset of people 

Just now, lizaloo223 said:

When glitches occur, wouldn't they be triggered by something though? 

like why did it Only appear for a seemingly similar subset of people 

I cant say exactly WHY it occured but we have reasonably deduced that everyone with the button interviewed at Mac and nobody that did not interview at Mac has the button. Something definitely triggered the button appearance for a specific population. What does that population share in common? Thats open for debate

2 minutes ago, lizaloo223 said:

The fact that there are 15+ people with very high stats but no button is very interesting ..... if it were a glitch it would make sense it's evenly distributed but it doesn't seem like it....

Yeah and there's no way there were two lists provided to OMSAS for regional vs hamilton campus, that's literally so strange.

OMSAS handles offers to the school in general and is not involved whatsoever with campus assignment.

I think there are two possible scenarios: 1) button means nothing which is likely, 2) since the top 100 don't have the button, everyone who doesn't have the button is also on the "offer" list with them so the people with the button are either in the "waitlist" or "rejected" pool. 

I do not buy the regional campus argument one bit, there's no way they sent some campus offers out before other campuses, OMSAS is in charge of offers not regional offers, those are determined by Mac...

2 minutes ago, William Osler said:

See if my theory of button = offer from regional campus makes sense, it addresses this conundrum

just wondering why regional campus would make a glitch though. 

I guess this theory can be valid until we have to many buttons 

5 minutes ago, William Osler said:

Button = Offer, in this case at Mac's 2 regional campuses (58 offers) 

- Most Mac applicants ranked Hamilton over the two regional campuses. 

- Top 100 applicants would have received their pick of Hamilton along with 42 other lucky lottery picks. 

- The remaining 58 lottery picks were assigned to the regional campuses. Those with buttons generally have non-extremely high stats which leads me to believe that they're not part of the top 100

- OMSAS stores which campus you've been offered to so it makes sense that the decision for the regional campuses were accidentally revealed through the button

- I anticipate that those with extreme high stats will get offered to Hamilton. Those with similar stats but no buttons unfortunately were randomized to waitlist and reject by the lottery

the theory of button = Rejection  also shouldn't apply anymore since most schools should have already uploaded their offers and new buttons should have appeared....unless they fixed the issue 

I still feel like this is all meaningless LOL buttttt I wanna add that when I closed the source code and tried to log out, it said asked if I wanted to save the changes to my application? "You did not save your changes to your application or your offers of admission". I doubt this means anything tho haha

Just now, brattatat said:

Yeah and there's no way there were two lists provided to OMSAS for regional vs hamilton campus, that's literally so strange.

OMSAS handles offers to the school in general and is not involved whatsoever with campus assignment.

I think there are two possible scenarios: 1) button means nothing which is likely, 2) since the top 100 don't have the button, everyone who doesn't have the button is also on the "offer" list with them so the people with the button are either in the "waitlist" or "rejected" pool. 

I do not buy the regional campus argument one bit, there's no way they sent some campus offers out before other campuses, OMSAS is in charge of offers not regional offers, those are determined by Mac...

You accept your offer through OMSAS. Since regional campuses are binding, they also include that information on OMSAS when the offer is made and when you accept the offer. OMSAS knows if you're assigned to Hamiltion vs Niagara vs Waterloo because Mac tells them. They aren't incharge of assigning ppl to campuses but they know who went to each. 

1 minute ago, lizaloo223 said:

the theory of button = Rejection  also shouldn't apply anymore since most schools should have already uploaded their offers and new buttons should have appeared....unless they fixed the issue 

They DEFINITELY patched the glitch in the update so it would stop showing up but not disappear for those who already have it. 

2 minutes ago, SoftTings said:

It seems like the ratio of buttons is already wayyy too high for it to be the ~58 acceptances to regional campuses

OMSAS knowing who is lottery 203 vs top 100 makes absolutely no sense whatsoever tho. We definitely have less than 58 buttons, I just chalked it up to everyone checking the thread and actually participating but who knows. 

People without the button, I wouldn't panic just yet since many perfect stat applicants don't have it and they likely could be in the top 100. Also Mac waitlist usually moves by 130 anyways so even if youre waitlisted you still have a great chance of gettnig an offer.

6 minutes ago, William Osler said:

You accept your offer through OMSAS. Since regional campuses are binding, they also include that information on OMSAS when the offer is made and when you accept the offer. OMSAS knows if you're assigned to Hamiltion vs Niagara vs Waterloo because Mac tells them. They aren't incharge of assigning ppl to campuses but they know who went to each. 

Yea technically the offers are organized into three different "folders" or somewhat separated so they know if you decline an offer what space opened up for the wait list....unless that's all done manually by mcmaster? 

what we need is someone with really high stats, High Casper, a button and Hamilton not as a 1st choice to come up XD 

2 minutes ago, lizaloo223 said:

Yea technically the offers are organized into three different "folders" or somewhat separated so they know if you decline an offer what space opened up for the wait list....unless that's all done manually by mcmaster? 

Once you accept an alternate offer on OMSAS, McMaster knows that there is one offer denied by an applicant and goes into its waitlist to offer someone that spot. OMSAS does not automatically track Mac's waitlist order, its done by Mac itself. OMSAS doesnt even know who is on the waitlist. OMSAS will offer anyone an offer that Mac tells them to. Wendy will email you to ask if you've accepted admission elsewhere and offer you admission off waitlist if you have not

1 minute ago, William Osler said:

Once you accept an alternate offer on OMSAS, McMaster knows that there is one offer denied by an applicant and goes into its waitlist to offer someone that spot. OMSAS does not automatically track Mac's waitlist order, its done by Mac itself. OMSAS doesnt even know who is on the waitlist. OMSAS will offer anyone an offer that Mac tells them to. Wendy will email you to ask if you've accepted admission elsewhere and offer you admission off waitlist if you have not

But how do they know which campus the spot opens up? Mcmaster  just records your omsas number and see what campus you were assigned to I guess?