Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

6 minutes ago, DrOzuma said:

anywho, in less than 48 hours, well know if we were accepted, rejected, or on some sort of waitlist. are we shitting bricks or logs lads how we feeling

Feeling pretty sick to my stomach.  
don’t know what to think about the button and still sick about what Mac did. 

don’t know if I even want to know the results anymore. 
I interviewed at queen, Ottawa and Mac.

mac I’m guessing I’m a lottery kid. 
ottawa I have a super low gpa 3.85 and for queens I think my panel was pretty bad although the MMI I think I killed.

ugh...

Typing this as I'm shitting bricks.

McMaster: probably going to be lotteried given 128 CARS

Ottawa: some days I feel like I killed it, some days I say "it was fun while it lasted"

Toronto: the entire interview was a virtual recording, I cringe every time I think about it. Oh well.

1 minute ago, DrOtter said:

I'm feeling so sick rn. I can't believe that when I go to sleep tonight and when I get up it'll be less than a day away :wacko:

My plan was to sleep in on Tuesday and wake up not check premed101 and just look at the e-mail. The anxiety sitting on here while everyone is slowly getting the wave of acceptances at a specific time and nothing has come in yet just gives it away that it is a rejection so I'm going to try to sleep in or something. That's what happened when I got the invite. I was out and didn't even realize what was happening. but i've been waking up at 5 AM every day so I know for a fact that won't happen :( 

1 minute ago, theinbetween said:

I'm actually sick to my stomach thinking about Ottawa. Like my stomach turns. I can just picture the bad waitlist email in my head like visualizing it :'( 

I know what you mean. I feel like I’m on a rollercoaster going up and up waiting for the drop, but it just keeps going higher and higher and it’s not dropping until Tuesday. 

2 minutes ago, theinbetween said:

My plan was to sleep in on Tuesday and wake up not check premed101 and just look at the e-mail. The anxiety sitting on here while everyone is slowly getting the wave of acceptances at a specific time and nothing has come in yet just gives it away that it is a rejection so I'm going to try to sleep in or something. That's what happened when I got the invite. I was out and didn't even realize what was happening. but i've been waking up at 5 AM every day so I know for a fact that won't happen :( 

I feel very strongly that I'll be pulling an all-nighter at this point. :eek:

18 hours ago, wowfactor said:

* UPDATED with Proxy Casper Measure *:)

I divided you guys into 3 groups. 

1. People with Button

GPA 3.58 / 131 - BUTTON 

GPA 3.83 / 128 - BUTTON

GPA 3.92 / 127 - BUTTON

GPA 3.93 /129 - BUTTON

GPA 3.6 / 130 - BUTTON

GPA 3.96 / 125 - BUTTON

GPA 3.79 / 128 - BUTTON

GPA 3.75 / 129 - BUTTON

GPA 3.85 / 128 - BUTTON

GPA 3.91 / 127 - BUTTON

GPA 3.92 / 129 - BUTTON

GPA 3.90 / 128 - BUTTON

GPA 3.91 / 129 - BUTTON

GPA 3.96 / 129 - BUTTON

GPA 3.97 / 127 - BUTTON

GPA 3.95 / 130 (did not apply to Casper-heavy school) - BUTTON

GPA 3.99 / 129 (did not apply to Casper-heavy school) - BUTTON

GPA 3.85 / 131 - BUTTON

GPA 3.96 / 130 (Rejection from UOttawa) - BUTTON

GPA 3.98 / 130 (Rejection from UOttawa) - BUTTON

2. People without Button with higher stats  (3.95+/130+ OR 3.97+/129+)

GPA 3.98 / 132 (Invitation from UOttawa)- NO BUTTON

GPA 3.97 / 130 (Invitation from UOttawa) - NO BUTTON

GPA 4.0 / 131 (Invitation from UOttawa) - NO BUTTON

Another GPA 4.0 / 131(Casper ?) - NO BUTTON

GPA 3.95+(?) / 131 (Invitation from UOttawa) - NO BUTTON

GPA 4.0 / 129 (Invitation from UOttawa) - NO BUTTON

Another GPA 4.0 / 129 (Casper?)- NO BUTTON

GPA 3.98 / 130 (Invitation from UOttawa) - NO BUTTON

Another GPA 3.98 / 130 (Invitation from UOttawa) - NO BUTTON

GPA 3.98 / 129 (Invitation from UOttawa) - NO BUTTON

GPA 3.97 / 129 (Invitation from UOttawa) - NO BUTTON

GPA 4.0 / 130 (Invitation from UOttawa) - NO BUTTON

GPA 3.96 / 130 (Invitation from UOttawa) - NO BUTTON

GPA 3.97 / 132 (Casper?) - NO BUTTON

GPA 3.95  / 130 (Invitation from UOttawa) - NO BUTTON

3. People without Button with similar stats with people with Button

GPA 3.87 / 125 - NO BUTTON

GPA 3.96 / 128 - NO BUTTON

GPA 3.84 / 132 - NO BUTTON

GPA 3.89 / 129 - NO BUTTON

GPA 3.90 / 129 - NO BUTTON

The button should mean something, and I am really excited to see which one (group 1 or 3 ) will be accepted at Mac with group 2. Every one of us must be curious about it, so let's add button/no button on the acceptance/ rejection thread. 

Great Casper score seems to be required in addition to the high GPA and CARS stats to be in the top 100.

You mean 3.96+/129 ? right ?

I'm in the same boat as all of you haha. All my eggs are in one basket, being Ottawa; and having a 3.90 makes me a bit more nervous. Though, it's important to remember our memories are often flawed and as terrorizing as it is now, there's no way to know specifically how the interviewers received our responses and behaviour. All that's important is to acknowledge how far we have all come throughout university and any other "unconventional" life paths. Really acknowledge each of our unique life experiences (whether it be work/volunteer experience, our ability to make new friends anywhere we go, dealing with failure/imperfect performance, and other unique personal challenges or successes we've faced). It's really been a long path, for some of us it may be the end and you may get in, while for others, you've made progress and may be even closer to getting in next cycle). Just remember that resilience is one of those key attributes they always bring up--and just see it as another "test" that you'll be successful at too! We're almost there--good vibes all around for all!

49 minutes ago, DrOzuma said:

anywho, in less than 48 hours, well know if we were accepted, rejected, or on some sort of waitlist. are we shitting bricks or logs lads how we feeling

mac: definitely on the lottery list due to low GPA and avg CARS... also no button which gives me a bad feeling about the result. just hoping to be at least waitlisted at this point :/

western: felt pretty good about the interview and got positive vibes from the panel. not SWOMEN tho, not sure if that puts me at a disadvantage. feeling most confident about this one.

queen’s: felt fine about the MMI and great about the panel. felt a lot less confident about my chances here after finding out that panel may be more of a checkmark in the selection process.

In the meantime, what are you all doing this Spring/Summer or are there any things that you are looking forward to do/accomplish (given that outside-of-home activities may continue for a longer period)? I'm personally finally catching up on sleep after 4 years LOL, playing some piano, listening to more music now that I don't have to focus while reading, learning how to cook actual food, and chilling. Would love for the shut-down to hopefully be over soon (though no rushing these things) so I can travel more, but if not, I'll try and learn some new languages or read (never read beyond school stuff lmaoo).

Just now, William Osler said:

Brush up on the francais or fit your language learning to the geographic region of your medical school (Cree or whatever for NOSM, Mandarin for Missisagua Academy of Medicine etc)

LOOOL could brush up on the francais un peu but mostly try out bits and pieces of others like Italian, Norwegian, German, Japanese LOL I'll try some on Duolingo and see what resonates with me

I keep trying to plan my time for after a rejection, so I can handle one better if it comes my way!, but I can’t think of anything solid to fill my resume with as a recent graduate. With research projects being mostly on hold and job hiring at an all time low, how do you guys plan to  improve your applications for the next cycle over the summer at least (not counting course retakes)?!

ps. Sorry if this bums you out! I’m just saying “if” we don’t get in! 

1 hour ago, DrOzuma said:

Western: high gpa/mcat sections but aabs and interview were pretty crummy. would be really excited by a high waitlist placement

Toronto: felt good about my application, interview was quite good for 2 stations, 1 was a slight cringe at one point and another was outright bad. i've heard similar tales from people who've been accepted though.

Queen's: felt bad about MMI until panel invite came out, and felt okay about panel (still do)

Mac: 3.88/129 + uO/OOP rejection so not top 100 but I'm a member of the Canadian Association of Button Havers (CABH for short) so hopefully that's not a random error

Mac: high stats so I hope I'm in the top 100 

Western: interview went okay/average so not really confident. Not swomen either.

Toronto: in-person. 3/4 went great. One interview station went so badly I think it negates the other 3 good ones.

Ottawa: just went horrible from start to finish. 100% rejection.

2 minutes ago, Moonlight2 said:

I keep trying to plan my time for after a rejection, so I can handle one better if it comes my way!, but I can’t think of anything solid to fill my resume with as a recent graduate. With research projects being mostly on hold and job hiring at an all time low, how do you guys plan to  improve your applications for the next cycle over the summer at least (not counting course retakes)?!

ps. Sorry if this bums you out! I’m just saying “if” we don’t get in! 

That's definitely good to plan ahead and be prepared! I'm also a recent graduate and idk about you but I only applied to one graduate program (Global Health at Mac since it's only 1 year and can teach a nice balanced assortment of classes that I see as beneficial wherever life takes me). Currently taking two English and a second physics as a continuing ed student so I can also apply outside of Ontario next cycle. I'm sure you can try to look for remote research positions (maybe do some survey research, or review papers), can try to link people through an online initiative, or apply/prepare for positions after the quarantine ends too). I gotta also look into many options but will prob do so after Tuesday haha.

UofT: Got an invite with a 3.60 cGPA (ineligible for wGPA). Interview was virtual and absolutely cringe. So yea, if I get accepted it’ll go down as a historical miracle. 

Also interviewed at UofA virtually. Went better than UofT. 
At this point, I feel like I’m in a lottery as well, and anything but a rejection will be a pleasant surprise for me.