Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

Just now, William Osler said:

Youve 2 weeks to respond to your offer - so 2 weeks If the school youre waitlisted at is your higher choice you better hope youre at the top or else you wont come off the waitlist until the first massive wave (2 weeks after may 12)

darn this sucks

Just now, pureblue said:

keep in mind that most schools don't even start sending waitlist offers out until AFTER the 2 week mark. Mac is the only one I know of that sends them before the 2 week mark.. not sure if there are others

I am also thinking of Mac - they will begin contacting their high waitlist immediately like a day after D-day. You can keep an eye on the size of the FB group for waitlist movement as well (pro tip)

13 minutes ago, DrOtter said:

It's only ever happened once (last year) when the OMSAS interface is renewed and there are a few exceptions where people ended up receiving offers without seeing them at midnight. So we're all pretty unsure haha

Aw okay thanks for letting me know.

Does anyone know if the Mac student portal updates at midnight lol

1 minute ago, pureblue said:

keep in mind that most schools don't even start sending waitlist offers out until AFTER the 2 week mark. Mac is the only one I know of that sends them before the 2 week mark.. not sure if there are others

okay so might just take the offer then :(

Though mac is the one i want the most, now with the lottery idk where is stand. 

So maybe wait if this happens and see. 

Though at this point i just want an offer anywhere lol

6 minutes ago, MDLD said:

okay so might just take the offer then :(

Though mac is the one i want the most, now with the lottery idk where is stand. 

So maybe wait if this happens and see. 

Though at this point i just want an offer anywhere lol

definitely don't forgo an offer for the chance of coming off another waitlist lol. but you can take a week and six days to see if anything else comes up! 

Reasons why I will not be refreshing OMSAS or student portals at midnight:

Incomplete information: What does no change mean? Am I rejected? Waitlisted? Has the portal decided not to update at midnight? Did some applicants portal status not get updated? It's not worth stressing about these things if there is no offer on OMSAS. Just wait 8 hours till the am

Missing information: Which campus have I been assigned to? 

5 minutes ago, theevilsloth said:

Meh, missing information = OMSAS not updated. There's no reason why missing information would mean rejection. At worst, checking gives me no information, at best I know that I've been accepted or rejected and I can actually sleep in peace. 

But you won’t know if lack of an offer means you’re still getting an offer, or if you’re waitlisted, or rejected. Waitlist and reject status is not shown on OMSAS.

I’m not sure myself if I want to check at midnight lol so I’m confused on what to do too.

12 minutes ago, short_stack said:

But you won’t know if lack of an offer means you’re still getting an offer, or if you’re waitlisted, or rejected. Waitlist and reject status is not shown on OMSAS.

I’m not sure myself if I want to check at midnight lol so I’m confused on what to do too.

Oh if WL and Rs arent shown on OMSAS then that changes things lol

12 minutes ago, short_stack said:

if you're the kind of person that hates uncertainty (me) then just wait till you get an email.

im personally planning on waiting until my phone dings four times. then i'll slowly go through each one while covering the majority of the screen lol

46 minutes ago, William Osler said:

I am also thinking of Mac - they will begin contacting their high waitlist immediately like a day after D-day. You can keep an eye on the size of the FB group for waitlist movement as well (pro tip)

Which fb group? Never heard of this one

2 minutes ago, ThisIsMe said:

Which fb group? Never heard of this one

They probably mean the class fb group like Mac med class of 2023

edit: just take it w a grain of salt - there are usually a lot of upper year students in those groups so the numbers may not correctly reflect the class size 

16 minutes ago, theevilsloth said:

Oh if WL and Rs arent shown on OMSAS then that changes things lol

Yeah it’s literally just offers from what I understand. So the only guarantee is if you GET an offer at midnight. If nothing changes at midnight, you can still get any of a/w/r edit: someone beat me to this answer lol sorry