Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

17 minutes ago, William Osler said:

No O week and CMA backpack distribution

No bonding with classmates in-person (meeting strangers over Zoom does not feel the same) 

No white coat ceremony (or stethoscope ceremony if you're special cough cough) 

No clinical experiences (upper years in clerkship will be prioritized and no shadowing will be allowed, making it hard to meet faculty to begin research and career exploration) 

What else am I missing?

(Anatomy will be fine you can read textbooks and do modules. Mac hasnt had a mandatory anatomy program ever and its been doing fine)

Where did you get all this information? Just curious. Also is it for all schools confirmed O week cancelled or just Mac?

Just now, William Osler said:

If you get in next cycle you will also be considered an independent student for OSAP and get hella loans (if your parents are loaded)

well thats a plus i guess, just feel like im old already at 23 (which i know isn't that old) but ugh...

4 minutes ago, conditional knockout said:

Really?! A Mac grad could theoretically never have seen a cadaver?

If they never go to anatomy class then yea; it is possible since theyre not mandatory but usually everyone goes to the first couple then they stop going.

They also dont have dissection courses with a fresh cadaver; all their cadavers are dissected by lab techs and most are prosections that you go around in small groups and teach yourselfs with anatomy profs there only for guidance. Most ppl cant learn anatomy that way so thats why they stop coming

Not a button discussion - just wanted to say that whoever with Mac interview plans on checking OMSAS at midnight - let us know whether you had the button before and whether the button is still there or it appeared and whether you got an offer or not 

In general, midnight OMSAS checkers should let us know what schools they see offers for. Once we get confirmation for each school we know all updated OMSAS at midnight :) 

Grazi

3 minutes ago, SoftTings said:

Would anyone consider trying to defer for a year if they got accepted? Due to how significantly next year will be impacted by COVID? The thought has crossed my mind

Lol definitely crossed my mind, but tbh I rather just start haha. Been waiting for so long already so many rejections over the years. Guess its up to us to come up with a way to make the ost of it. and honestly, it's not gonna b like we can't meet classmates. we could meet in small groups etc. Things will get better before classes even start, just not good enough to have 257 people crammed in one lecture hall haha

5 minutes ago, SoftTings said:

Would anyone consider trying to defer for a year if they got accepted? Due to how significantly next year will be impacted by COVID? The thought has crossed my mind

As an older applicant I  wouldnt, but I can understand why some people my consider it. 

I wonder how housing is going to work this semester for those moving away and are classes already online for term 1?

1 minute ago, kreedz said:

If the OMSAS midnight glitch doesn't happen, do offers show on OMSAS after e-mails the following day, or before emails? Sorry if this has already been asked

Before OMSAS updated its UI last year, emails came first. Last year was the first year with the new UI and OMSAS updated at midnight. If OMSAS doesnt update at midnight, emails should be first. I assume OMSAS would update the midnight of May 13

41 minutes ago, William Osler said:

No O week and CMA backpack distribution

No bonding with classmates in-person (meeting strangers over Zoom does not feel the same) 

No white coat ceremony (or stethoscope ceremony if you're special cough cough) 

No clinical experiences (upper years in clerkship will be prioritized and no shadowing will be allowed, making it hard to meet faculty to begin research and career exploration) 

What else am I missing?

(Anatomy will be fine you can read textbooks and do modules. Mac hasnt had a mandatory anatomy program ever and its been doing fine)

We're still planning O-Week at UOttawa. To date there has been no official cancelation or postponement. The decision to cancel will be reviewed at a later date in June or July. 

3 minutes ago, ottawa1234 said:

We're still planning O-Week at UOttawa. To date there has been no official cancelation or postponement. The decision to cancel will be reviewed at a later date in June or July. 

I understand that, but unfortunately it feels like it will be highly likely cancelled, or at least fundamentally altered to where it's not really the same you know.