Premed 101 Forums

Study for MCAT as Incoming Med Student?

Hi everyone,

I was fortunate enough to gain admission to a medical school that does not require the MCAT. I come from a non-science background (except a few pre-requisites) and have never taken the MCAT.

Since I have alot of free time in the summer due to COVID, I was wondering if it is a good idea to "study" for the MCAT so I'll be more prepared for medical school? Is content on the MCAT useful for medical school? If not, do you have any recommendations (e.g. online anatomy courses, etc.)?

I won't be studying intensively; I was thinking a couple of hours per day.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, bearded frog said:

Nothing on the MCAT is relevant to medical school, except some of the biology/biochem, tangentially. Enjoy the last few months of your life where you don't feel like you should be studying for the next 5-9 years.

The MCAT is to med school like USMLE Step 1 is to residency - a filter used to keep applicants out (Step 1 only for another year)   

• 3 months later...

If you feel like learning medicine then anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology might be the most relevant. You could read the sections on the human body/medicine from MCAT prep and maybe pharmacology and genetics.  Basic science content from MCAT is not as directly useful. In med school and residency I used a tiny amount of my knowledge of physics, chemistry, biochem, bio but not much and I don't think it would be worth your time to study them.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On 8/14/2020 at 1:06 PM, Weltschmerz said:

probably a French-speaking program or Ottawa (which a has an English and a French stream but neither requires MCAT)

On 8/14/2020 at 4:26 AM, yampotato said:

Which school did you get into that doesn’t require MCAT? 

NOSM doesn't require (or consider) the MCAT as well.

On 7/12/2020 at 3:09 PM, MD2015:) said:

If you feel like learning medicine then anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology might be the most relevant. You could read the sections on the human body/medicine from MCAT prep and maybe pharmacology and genetics.  Basic science content from MCAT is not as directly useful. In med school and residency I used a tiny amount of my knowledge of physics, chemistry, biochem, bio but not much and I don't think it would be worth your time to study them.

Do you think reading on a pathology textbook could give you a leg up?  

On 7/13/2020 at 12:27 AM, anonymouspls said:

Lol this was posted in April so hopefully you've been doing absolutely nothing school related in the past few months. For anyone reading this in the future: Please don't waste one of the last summers of your life studying for the MCAT or anything else before medschool.

Some people like to study though. For me, it is like a hobby. I genuinely enjoy reading and learning new useful things especially when there is no exam.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2021 at 12:51 AM, neurologist19 said:

Some people like to study though. For me, it is like a hobby. I genuinely enjoy reading and learning new useful things especially when there is no exam.

The MCAT is not useful for medicine. Physiology is, and clinical skills (M3 and beyond) is ultimately most useful for practicing as a physician.

• 4 weeks later...