Premed 101 Forums

May 9/10 Countdown

I got rejected at 7:04 am this morning. Not sure where the right place to post this is but: 

Result:    Regrets After Interview

Geography: In province

Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
Timestamp: 7:04 am PST
AGPA: ~84.7 %

NAQ score: 75th -100th Percentile

EC's - I feel like this was the strength of my application. I have a variety of strong service, leadership, hospital experience, awards, research with over 10 publications, and employment positions, lots of unique experiences. Almost all of my experiences were long-term commitments. 

MCAT: 501 
Interview: Above Average Interview

Year: BSc. with Honors 2018

Does anyone have any advice for me? It looks like the MCAT was a red flag for my application and I'm not sure what help going back to school to boost my GPA would been. I've seen one or two similar stories of rejection in the past on the forum. Feeling pretty bummed but hopeful if I can retake the MCAT and do well.

2 minutes ago, FutureSir said:

I got rejected at 7:04 am this morning. Not sure where the right place to post this is but: 

EC's - I feel like this was the strength of my application. I have a variety of strong service, leadership, hospital experience, awards, research with over 10 publications, and employment positions, lots of unique experiences. Almost all of my experiences were long-term commitments. 

Does anyone have any advice for me? It looks like the MCAT was a red flag for my application and I'm not sure what help going back to school to boost my GPA would been. I've seen one or two similar stories of rejection in the past on the forum. Feeling pretty bummed but hopeful if I can retake the MCAT and do well.

Awww my heart goes out to you.  You have incredible NAQ and above average interview.... I would rewrite MCAT and try again!!

15 minutes ago, FutureSir said:

Definitely looks like an MCAT red flag – a big red flag, if I'm honest. You said your EC's are the strength of your application, making up for your "low" (which isn't even low) gpa of ~84.7%... The redemption arc for a weaker GPA will be a strong MCAT. I think, ultimately, somewhere, you need to demonstrate strong academic chops.

(That being said, an 84.7% is a perfectly good GPA, and a 501 MCAT is something that can be rectified painlessly rather than needing to do another degree or something.)

Edited by HongHongHong
grammar

19 minutes ago, FutureSir said:

I would DEFINITELY kill that MCAT and you'll be golden. Everything else is great!

24 minutes ago, FutureSir said:

I am so sorry, it must be frustrating that your interview and EC was so great but you got rejected :( I agree, writing the MCAT seems like a good plan- I think given everything else you would get in with a rewrite. What was your CARS?