Premed 101 Forums

May 9/10 Countdown

56 minutes ago, Sp0ngeb0bsquarepants said:

Purple would be so cool! They had purple a few years ago and it looked good but dont know if they would recycle the color that fast. It could be yellow ahaha! Orange would be cool too.

There was a "blood orange" in the backpack choice colours last year so it's definitely a possibility. I wouldn't mind the grey either. The last time the backpacks were purple was the year after green so I'm hopeful!714646449_ScreenShot2020-04-13at2_55_10PM.png.47858ca0d739272064fb4054f87c484f.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 2.55.52 PM.png

On 4/12/2020 at 12:16 PM, Ginny Midgeon said:

I also think that it will be May 8th this year. If so, less than a month to go now!

I don't think it'll be May 8th since final exams at UBC end quite late this year (Apr. 29th). But fingers crossed; the earlier the better! :)

If I get in, I might wear the backpack for all of the first 2-3 weeks of class so classmates can identify me, and then it's going in the closet to never be used again.

Those things are seriously a sign of elitism, and friends of mine have seen random med students (people with those med backpacks) misbehaving in public places, like the bus, and it has only harmed our confidence in future doctors.

6 minutes ago, HongHongHong said:

Those things are seriously a sign of elitism, and friends of mine have seen random med students (people with those med backpacks) misbehaving in public places, like the bus, and it has only harmed our confidence in future doctors.

The general public probably couldnt tell you the difference between nursing and medical school or what a resident physician vs medical student difference is. I don't think they'll be able to tell our backpacks esp when Swiss and other companies make eeriely similar backpacks (the Swiss blue and red ones still trip me out to this day).

I would recommend not wearing a backpack when you're voyeuring girls in Forever 21 of Eaton centre tho, that would not instill great faith in the profession 

Just noticed that the admissions committee posted a brief update yesterday on their blog:

COVID-19 and Your Application

By Admissions on April 17, 2020

At MD Admissions, we recognize that the past month has been a stressful time for current and prospective applicants. In addition to dramatically changing everyday life, the COVID-19 pandemic has affected things like transcript requests and grading policies at many institutions, and has also caused some MCAT sittings to be cancelled. Applicants are understandably anxious to know how these changes will impact their applications. Although we are sorry we cannot give you definitive answers at this moment, we acknowledge that these changes are outside of your control, and are working hard in conjunction with our selection committee to develop ways to accommodate these changes while still ensuring the integrity of our process. We hope to have more answers in early May and will post an update as soon as we can.

https://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/admissions-blog/

36 minutes ago, mdpwns1763 said:

Anyone else just feel inadequate compared to the applicant pool? I was doing some math and it’s like 266 (based on last year) of 589 applicants (BC pool) get in.  45% just doesn’t feel like good odds 

Honestly a ~50% acceptance rate at this point seems pretty darn good! Just to have gotten this far is absolutely incredible and you should be proud. I'm applying as an OOP so the acceptance rate we have at this point is 29/81 = 35%. There have been a lot of OOP applicants in the past who do not accept their offer so I'm trying to stay hopeful!

53 minutes ago, coffeeandmed said:

Honestly a ~50% acceptance rate at this point seems pretty darn good! Just to have gotten this far is absolutely incredible and you should be proud. I'm applying as an OOP so the acceptance rate we have at this point is 29/81 = 35%. There have been a lot of OOP applicants in the past who do not accept their offer so I'm trying to stay hopeful!

Last year, the post-interview acceptance rate for OOP was 65.4% if you include people who got in off the waitlist, so your chances right now are really good!

1 minute ago, lurkitykurking said:

Just wondering, on the UBC site it says there are "up to" 29 seats for OOP and preference is given to IP.. does this mean that OOP seat allocation depends on how good the IP pool is each year? Any clarification would help! Thanks :)

I am also curious about this! In the last 3 years, only 2017 actually had all 29 OOP spots filled. 

1 hour ago, coffeeandmed said:

As much as I know they are decent odds I still feel like I don’t have a shot given how I performed last year! I’ll try to keep it in perspective though!

19 hours ago, lurkitykurking said:

Just wondering, on the UBC site it says there are "up to" 29 seats for OOP and preference is given to IP.. does this mean that OOP seat allocation depends on how good the IP pool is each year? Any clarification would help! Thanks :)

My understanding of how the process works is that applicants are ranked, and then UBC goes down the list offering spots until the class is full. At most 29 OOP students will be offered spots through this process, but the class can be filled before that max 29 OOP spots are allocated. Same process for the waitlist. 

So yes, if the IP pool is very strong and more IPs are ranked higher overall, this can effect whether all the  OOP spots get offered. 

2 hours ago, frenchpress said:

My understanding of how the process works is that applicants are ranked, and then UBC goes down the list offering spots until the class is full. At most 29 OOP students will be offered spots through this process, but the class can be filled before that max 29 OOP spots are allocated. Same process for the waitlist. 

So yes, if the IP pool is very strong and more IPs are ranked higher overall, this can effect whether all the  OOP spots get offered. 

This was my understanding as well. Our class had many OOP applicants accepted. But it varies based on the strength of IP applicants. 

23 minutes ago, coffeeandmed said:

I literally just finished my last exam. I am going to add a new countdown for May 1 just so I can have SOMETHING to look forward to...I am going to go crazy with no studying.  Who knows, I might learn how to code or something just to keep from going insane.

I think they actually sent out the notification email on April 23rd last year! Based on last year's posts. Where is our emailllllllllll :' (