Premed 101 Forums

May 9/10 Countdown

On 4/13/2020 at 1:56 PM, Sp0ngeb0bsquarepants said:

Purple would be so cool! They had purple a few years ago and it looked good but dont know if they would recycle the color that fast. It could be yellow ahaha! Orange would be cool too.

how will they distribute the backpack, considering as we may not be having an orientation? Idk about UBC but UofA (accepted to UofA med last year and deferred) seems like theyre likely going to start classes online in the fall.

6 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

How do you know?

I dont know for sure!! But basically on this forum somewhere,

- I saw people talking about rumours that McMaster (who start earlier in July) is probably going to start online.

- UofC's dean (also starts in July) said in their blog that theyre doing everything in their power to start classes online in July.

- UofA, where I'm currently doing a masters, said in an email that they are planning for Fall term already for all faculties and based on that email it really sounds like itll be online.

- My friend who is in pharmacy at UofA told me that her faculty has said Fall sem will likely be online. 

I think that if McMaster and Calgary start online then med schools across Canada would probably coordinate. Plus I feel like there won't be a drastic change in whats happening with COVID between July and late August. The most concrete thing was what UofC said but still lol thats how I assume that we may not be having an orientation the way its been previously. 

7 minutes ago, teeezyyy said:

I dont know for sure!! But basically on this forum somewhere,

- I saw people talking about rumours that McMaster (who start earlier in July) is probably going to start online.

- UofC's dean (also starts in July) said in their blog that theyre doing everything in their power to start classes online in July.

- UofA, where I'm currently doing a masters, said in an email that they are planning for Fall term already for all faculties and based on that email it really sounds like itll be online.

- My friend who is in pharmacy at UofA told me that her faculty has said Fall sem will likely be online. 

I think that if McMaster and Calgary start online then med schools across Canada would probably coordinate. Plus I feel like there won't be a drastic change in whats happening with COVID between July and late August. The most concrete thing was what UofC said but still lol thats how I assume that we may not be having an orientation the way its been previously. 

I could definitely see different schools taking different approaches. Just because a few schools are going online doesn't mean all will. It will depend on the situation in each given province, along with class sizes and opinion of the individual schools. It makes sense that schools that start earlier such as UofC and Mcmaster start online, but I don't think that will automatically mean others will follow. That's just my thought. 

3 minutes ago, HugeEuge said:

I could definitely see different schools taking different approaches. Just because a few schools are going online doesn't mean all will. It will depend on the situation in each given province, along with class sizes and opinion of the individual schools. It makes sense that schools that start earlier such as UofC and Mcmaster start online, but I don't think that will automatically mean others will follow. That's just my thought. 

Yeah I really really hope youre right! I'd really like to start in person and see everyone and meet new people. 

2 hours ago, TonyClifton said:

I had to send them graduation completion forms (for grad school) and received the email on April 23rd last year.

The timeline (https://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/application-timelines/) has that final transcripts are due for anyone who completed coursework between September 2019 and April 2020 by June 30. That applies to both undergrad and graduate. I'm not sure why some people have been requested to submit documents in the past! But it doesn't look like anyone has received an email this year....

52 minutes ago, teeezyyy said:

how will they distribute the backpack, considering as we may not be having an orientation? Idk about UBC but UofA (accepted to UofA med last year and deferred) seems like theyre likely going to start classes online in the fall.

OH NO I DIDN'T THINK ABOUT BACKPACK DISTRIBUTION

Honestly I would pay for it to be shipped to my house lol

2 minutes ago, mdpwns1763 said:

Me too :|

2nd interview, mcat is over after this one. Skipped first year of eligibility. Gotta think it plays a role though as they ask about it during the application! (Number of applications that is) 

Yeah, hopefully it plays a positive role!! 
my mcat is still okay, I rewrote. But I’m not sure I have the mental energy to apply again. Fingers crossed!!! 

41 minutes ago, mdpwns1763 said:

Anyone else on their potential last cycle this time around? 

Next year will be my final cycle, as I have almost invested as much energy and stress into this process as I can manage! Hopefully our multiple application cycles work to our advantage.

I am dying for some information about d-day and how COVID19 could affect things. I really hope decisions aren't being pushed too far back, we have suffered for long enough!

6 minutes ago, acceptmeplease said:

Next year will be my final cycle, as I have almost invested as much energy and stress into this process as I can manage! Hopefully our multiple application cycles work to our advantage.

I am dying for some information about d-day and how COVID19 could affect things. I really hope decisions aren't being pushed too far back, we have suffered for long enough!

I see no reason why it would! You’d think that evaluations could be done remotely. 

26 minutes ago, acceptmeplease said:

I imagine that UBC will try to stick to a similar timeline for d-day as in previous years. The Ontario schools are still releasing results on May 12th and some had interviews in late March! 

20 hours ago, coffeeandmed said:

timeline (https://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/application-timelines/) has that final transcripts are due for anyone who completed coursework between September 2019 and April 2020 by June 30. That applies to both undergrad and graduate. I'm not sure why some people have been requested to submit documents in the past! But it doesn't look like anyone has received an email this year....

My bad! I didn’t explain it well. The email sent on April 23rd was a reminder email for deadlines in June. I didn’t mean that the deadlines were earlier last year. At the end of that email there was a mention of May 10 as the date to start sending offers.

Then on May 1 they sent an email that was specifically dedicated to when offers will be released and what to do if you get an offer.

Based on the blog post I’m assuming that they are still in the process of making decisions about what to do with those deadlines because of the situation with COVID-19 and that’s why that reminder email has not been sent yet.

7 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

My bad! I didn’t explain it well. The email sent on April 23rd was a reminder email for deadlines in June. I didn’t mean that the deadlines were earlier last year. At the end of that email there was a mention of May 10 as the date to start sending offers.

Then on May 1 they sent an email that was specifically dedicated to when offers will be released and what to do if you get an offer.

Based on the blog post I’m assuming that they are still in the process of making decisions about what to do with those deadlines because of the situation with COVID-19 and that’s why that reminder email has not been sent yet.

Oh I see!! Thank you for the explanation. 

5 minutes ago, yeet9876 said:

Following the May 1st, May 10th email trend, do you guys think we might be getting an email today letting us know a May 8th DDay date???

I sure hope so! Would like to be able to semi-relax knowing the date.

I was thinking it could come out on Friday, though, given that they often disseminate news on Fridays!

1 hour ago, yeet9876 said:

Following the May 1st, May 10th email trend, do you guys think we might be getting an email today letting us know a May 8th DDay date???

1 hour ago, acceptmeplease said:

I sure hope so! Would like to be able to semi-relax knowing the date.

I was thinking it could come out on Friday, though, given that they often disseminate news on Fridays!

I am thinking Friday too, but would be really happy with it being sooner hahah. 

How is everyone doing with the wait and the covid situation??

1 hour ago, initrams said:

I am thinking Friday too, but would be really happy with it being sooner hahah. 

How is everyone doing with the wait and the covid situation??

I am also hoping for May 8! Theoretically the May 1st email could be sent out today/tomorrow if they want it ~10 days in advance (this is pure speculation!!! Not confirmed anywhere). Any idea of a timeline would be such a help for my anxiety lol. Even though I know my chances are slim, UBC would be an absolute DREAM.

I’m passing the time by reading and learning to code. I also love baking so I’m trying out some new recipes and learning techniques.