Premed 101 Forums

May 9/10 Countdown

I just found this good read from UBC admissions regarding what happens if you end up on the waitlist.... probably gonna be me, tbh. Based on the admission statistics (Table 15) it looks like every year around ~43 people decline their offers to UBC Medicine. In all, that means ~333 acceptances are sent out before the summer's end. 

1 hour ago, HongHongHong said:

I just found this good read from UBC admissions regarding what happens if you end up on the waitlist.... probably gonna be me, tbh. Based on the admission statistics (Table 15) it looks like every year around ~43 people decline their offers to UBC Medicine. In all, that means ~333 acceptances are sent out before the summer's end. 

Why do you think you will be waitlisted? Also I think it is funny that you have been looking at stats and stuff because I have been too... like neurotically hahahha. 

1 hour ago, 2024 UBC MD said:

This is the message that was sent out.

Thank you for this!!! What is MEDD 411?

1 minute ago, initrams said:

Why do you think you will be waitlisted? Also I think it is funny that you have been looking at stats and stuff because I have been too... like neurotically hahahha. 

I believe MEDD 411 is the first part of the curriculum that is usually done by everyone in Vancouver, regardless of site.

13 minutes ago, initrams said:

It’s the umbrella course for most of the first-year, first-term curriculum. There’s another course called MEDD 419 / flex which is essentially a small “research” course that runs in parallel to the medical curriculum for all of first year.

1 hour ago, initrams said:

MEDD 411 is the course number for first term of 1st year. 412 for first year, second term, 421 for first term, second year, 422 second term second year, etc.

16 hours ago, initrams said:

411 is the first semester of the program including all of the material except for FOS/FLEX (Med 419)

53 minutes ago, ShadesofCyan said:

Ok UBC... this silence isn't fun. 

Please update your admissions blog or send us a brief email! We are excited and scared and an update would make us applicants all feel a tad better. 

Most of the other Med Schools in Canada have announced when their decisions will be released. You can do it! 

I hope you can all remember this dream for emails from UBC ironically, because once (if) you're in and 1st year starts the barrage of informational emails will NEVER. STOP. :P

21 minutes ago, mdpwns1763 said:

With no news today, i am envisioning the following scenarios:

1. No warning email, we find out Friday. 
2. We find out as per the 2nd year email, on the 12th.

3. We get a warning email on the 12th or this Friday and find out next Friday. 

Thoughts?

Hoping for the first option but rationally knowing it will most likely be the second. 

25 minutes ago, mdpwns1763 said:

Thoughts?

I'd bet on option 3. May 15 is close enough to "around May 12" that was stated in the email. It never stated it would be on May 12, only sometime around then. I don't see them sending out results without giving a date and providing information on what to do if you are accepted.

36 minutes ago, mdpwns1763 said:

Thoughts?

Scenario 1 sounds incredibly scary. 

Scenario 2 sounds likely, maybe we get a warning email on Friday.

Scenario 3 makes me sad lol. I hope we don't have to wait that long.

Damn I remember this feeling so hard last year. For the many who will be accepted this cycle, don't forget this feeling of limbo - first year goes by fast! For those who aren't so lucky this year, please keep applying - the class is full of tenacious med students for a reason. It all starts with tenacious premeds. 

All the best, looking forward to welcoming you, 2024s!!