Premed 101 Forums

Ipad pro/air for dental school

Hi:

I have a mac air right now, and I am wondering if it is necessary to buy ipad pro/air? Through undergrad I just typed notes on laptop and it worked well for me. I heard there would be more anatomy in dental school and would be helpful if one has an ipad. I also like the idea to go paper free. Thanks!

On 4/9/2020 at 9:20 PM, DentKoolKid said:

Hi:

I have a mac air right now, and I am wondering if it is necessary to buy ipad pro/air? Through undergrad I just typed notes on laptop and it worked well for me. I heard there would be more anatomy in dental school and would be helpful if one has an ipad. I also like the idea to go paper free. Thanks!

It really depends on your budget. A maxed out iPad Pro or Air would be suffice as they both have A12X chip. IPads are helpful for annotating the slides but they are definitely a luxury as any laptop would do the trick. It is quite hard to integrate iPad into your workflow though if you are used to the Mac interface. I'd say try it in the apple store first and also be mindful of screen size.

1 hour ago, orgolover said:

It really depends on your budget. A maxed out iPad Pro or Air would be suffice as they both have A12X chip. IPads are helpful for annotating the slides but they are definitely a luxury as any laptop would do the trick. It is quite hard to integrate iPad into your workflow though if you are used to the Mac interface. I'd say try it in the apple store first and also be mindful of screen size.

Thank you so much!

• 1 month later...

I thought the same! I watched a really good video by kharma medic on youtube about using an ipad pro for medical school (I'm a first year med student, but I'm assuming it would be similar for dent). I decided that this would be a valuable tool for me but I ended up buying the ipad air instead because  using this device purely for school, I don't need the extra capabilities that the pro has for the extra 500$. Hope that helps! 

You can find the youtube video I am referring to by searching kharma medic ipad and itll be the first video. 

On 6/1/2020 at 12:21 PM, initrams said:

I thought the same! I watched a really good video by kharma medic on youtube about using an ipad pro for medical school (I'm a first year med student, but I'm assuming it would be similar for dent). I decided that this would be a valuable tool for me but I ended up buying the ipad air instead because  using this device purely for school, I don't need the extra capabilities that the pro has for the extra 500$. Hope that helps! 

You can find the youtube video I am referring to by searching kharma medic ipad and itll be the first video. 

Thank you! I watched that video as well. I kind of want to wait for the new ipad air to come out but not sure when :/