Premed 101 Forums

Do Speciality dent programs look at your undergrad GPA?

6 minutes ago, fluffybunnyyyyy said:

Hello,

ill be entering into the DMD program this fall and know that I want to specialize later on (mb ortho, or OMFS). When you apply to those specialization programs, is your undergrad GPA (BSc) factored into the decision? 

thanks!!

Short answer, No! You can see the requirements yourself on the school website. Competitive programs such as OMFS do require you to attend North American dental school though. 

On 4/15/2020 at 1:02 AM, fluffybunnyyyyy said:

Do you know if canadian OMFS programs look at undergraduate GPAs too? Most canadian programs also have the 6 yr MD component too. 

I am not sure about Canadian schools. I think your best bet is to look at the website or contact them if your are interested. 

1 hour ago, TheGreatPiper said:

Do they put more emphasis on dental school gpa or undergrad gpa?

I am not sure how they look at each. All i know is they look at both for some US MD OMFS programs. 

On 4/17/2020 at 2:43 AM, Censored said:

I have heard from some upper years that ONLY your dental school GPA/class rank matters (especially canadian OMFS) and everything else is secondary.

I heard CBSE is very important for every program,  as well as your references and extracurricular activities.