Premed 101 Forums

WGPA question

Hello,

I was wondering if I take 4 courses per semester will I still be eligible for the wGPA formula at uOttawa.
Also I did a total of 8 courses in my third year and I am planning on pass/fail (at my school we call it credit/no credit) one course, will that pass/fail course result in my third year not being used in wGPA calculation? In addition, I have about 14 courses left to graduate and I was thinking I will take a 4th year and 5th year with 4 courses per semester. Will they count my 4th and 5th year if I do that?

Thank you

Taking 4 courses per semester voids that entire year, unless the remaining 2 courses are taken in the summer or you take 12 courses in another academic year.

Your third year will be disregarded because you are missing 2 courses (unless those 2 courses were made up for in the summer or in addition to your 5 courses per semester in another academic year).

You are allowed only one P/F course per semester.

They will not count your fourth and fifth years if you take only 4 courses a semester, unless you take 2 summer school courses following each year.

Bottom line: Take 5 courses per semester!

2 hours ago, TrustTheProcess21 said:

Taking 4 courses per semester voids that entire year, unless the remaining 2 courses are taken in the summer or you take 12 courses in another academic year.

Your third year will be disregarded because you are missing 2 courses (unless those 2 courses were made up for in the summer or in addition to your 5 courses per semester in another academic year).

You are allowed only one P/F course per semester.

They will not count your fourth and fifth years if you take only 4 courses a semester, unless you take 2 summer school courses following each year.

Bottom line: Take 5 courses per semester!

Though I wouldn't disregard the (pretty good) possibility that their policies will change due to the current situation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi !  To add to this topic, without making a new posts, can someone help me with my situation, I'm a little bit confused ...

If I have completed my bachelor studies as follow, which years will be counted towards the wGPA and which year would not? 
3 credits = 1 course

Year 1: Fall 15 credits Winter 15 credits Summer 3 credits
Year 2: Fall 12 credits Winter 15 credits Summer 15 credits 
Year 3: Fall 15 credits Winter 0 credits
Year 4: Fall 15 credits Winter 12 credits

Could the Credits during Summer Year 2 be used to complete for example the missing 3 credits for Year 4?

Thank you!

12 hours ago, 1997vna said:
Hi !  To add to this topic, without making a new posts, can someone help me with my situation, I'm a little bit confused ...

If I have completed my bachelor studies as follow, which years will be counted towards the wGPA and which year would not? 
3 credits = 1 course

Year 1: Fall 15 credits Winter 15 credits Summer 3 credits
Year 2: Fall 12 credits Winter 15 credits Summer 15 credits 
Year 3: Fall 15 credits Winter 0 credits
Year 4: Fall 15 credits Winter 12 credits

Could the Credits during Summer Year 2 be used to complete for example the missing 3 credits for Year 4?

Thank you!

your year 1, 2, and 4 will count. your credits from other semesters like your fall year 3 will make up for the 3 credits you “missed” in year 4. 

Wouldn't fall year 3 not count at all because it's not full time? 

A full-time academic year where the equivalent of four (4) courses per semester is taken is accepted and counted in the WGPA calculation only if the missing course/unit is completed either as an additional course within another academic year or as a summer course.

By additional course, don't they mean like 5 + 1 additional?

On 5/6/2020 at 8:48 PM, 1997vna said:

Wouldn't fall year 3 not count at all because it's not full time? 

A full-time academic year where the equivalent of four (4) courses per semester is taken is accepted and counted in the WGPA calculation only if the missing course/unit is completed either as an additional course within another academic year or as a summer course.

By additional course, don't they mean like 5 + 1 additional?

That's what I originally thought too, that you would need to take 5+1 classes. That isn't the case. Ottawa is essentially ensuring that nobody with less than 30 completed university classes matriculate. By saying "A full-time academic year where the equivalent of four (4) courses per semester is taken is accepted and counted in the WGPA calculation only if the missing course/unit is completed either as an additional course within another academic year or as a summer course," they're basically saying you need to make up for the missing course at some other point (summer school, a part time year, or your 3rd year fall semester).

Also note that the course that "makes up" for the shortage of credits won't be used in GPA calculations if it's not a part of a FT year. So for example, if you took a part time year with 3 classes in a semester and got straight A+s, the grades of those classes won't go towards your overall wGPA at Ottawa. Theyll simply be used as checks to meet that minimum 30 courses requirement.

I hope this makes sense.

Source: I've called them with the same question AND myself and others I know have received IIs with semesters of 4 classes and without ever taking 6 courses to make up for them.