Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Everyone, Third year medical student from U of C chiming in. I wish each and everyone of you the best of luck today. Many of you will realize your dream of being admitted to medical school, wh

Alright guys, welcome to the beginning to what could reasonably be considered late afternoon

Go! Dr. P, Go! *I have removed the screenshot, as the post has been removed from the blog. 

Posted Images

Only 2 weeks to go, friends! Best wishes to everyone.

I think Dr. P was trolling us with the "mysterious blog post" that seemed to out a couple of IP addresses. Still giggling about this. I think the Dean of Admissions has an incredible sense of humor. :D What a year to take on the role. Hopefully he weathers the storm and choses to return for another year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2020 at 9:52 AM, Heme said:

Only 2 weeks to go, friends! Best wishes to everyone.

I think Dr. P was trolling us with the "mysterious blog post" that seemed to out a couple of IP addresses. Still giggling about this. I think the Dean of Admissions has an incredible sense of humor. :D What a year to take on the role. Hopefully he weathers the storm and choses to return for another year.

.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2020 at 8:52 AM, Heme said:

Only 2 weeks to go, friends! Best wishes to everyone.

I think Dr. P was trolling us with the "mysterious blog post" that seemed to out a couple of IP addresses. Still giggling about this. I think the Dean of Admissions has an incredible sense of humor. :D What a year to take on the role. Hopefully he weathers the storm and choses to return for another year.

I definitely missed this post.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gumby said:

I definitely missed this post. I'm curious, can you tell me more about the content of the post that was taken down?

The title of the post listed two IP addresses and there was nothing written in the body of the post. Most likely an error and nothing to be concerned about. I was just trying to make people smile with my comment above. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 weeks couldn't come faster ugh. I'm still obsessing over verifiers and keep wondering about if they've been contacted or not. I know Dr. Paccione said that it was random but I can't help but feel like they would definitely contact your verifiers if you got in! This is torture....

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, idk105 said:

2 weeks couldn't come faster ugh. I'm still obsessing over verifiers and keep wondering about if they've been contacted or not. I know Dr. Paccione said that it was random but I can't help but feel like they would definitely contact your verifiers if you got in! This is torture....

I’m worried that they contact verifiers this late too. I feel like all of my verifiers expected to be contacted a few months after I had submitted my app. Weird that they would invest the time in interviewing candidates and then screen for something fishy with their references and verifiers. I hope it’s completely random and doesn’t have any connection to who they’re considering for admission! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Heme said:

Anyone up for some meaningless data mining to pass the time? 

Question: Has UCalgary set a precedent for what time invites vs. waitlist vs. regrets are sent out on D-day?

I’ve browsed through the previous posts and it doesn’t seem like applicants recorded exact time stamps in their posts. It also might be hard to predict because of the COVID this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Heme said:

Anyone up for some meaningless data mining to pass the time? 

Question: Has UCalgary set a precedent for what time invites vs. waitlist vs. regrets are sent out on D-day?

I remember going through the forum a while back (in a brief fit of neuroticism) and there were a few years when offers released at ~3 pm and at least once they were released in the morning (~10 am). I think there was even a year when they released at like 3 am.

I'm not sure about different times for offers vs rejections though. They seem to happen pretty close to each other. I think at least for interviews, invites came out a few minutes before regrets?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hopingformd said:

The fact that there's 11 (and up to 19) less spots than there were less year (where waitlist mvmt was already abnormally low) makes me feel like I have no chance at all now. Anyone else really fixating on this information? 

Recently, I've also been reading all the past waitlist threads for some earthly reason :') 

I've been feeling the same because the chances don't look great! Especially not knowing how large of a factor the interview will play in the final scores - I was part of the online pool. The week of the 11th is going to be nerve-wracking for sure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This wait has definitely been a challenging task, especially considering how closely mental wellness is tied to our connection with others. We are finding our way through an unprecedented time, which alone presents enough uncertainty in itself. Social distancing has significantly altered the functioning of our support networks. Yes, we can video chat and surf the internet for every microscopic detail related to med admissions (I don’t have to see your browser history to know what you have been searching every 10 minutes...) but it doesn’t replace a coffee date and supportive hug from a good friend. I am trying not to bring up anything med-related to my family anymore because those poor suckers have been taking the brunt of my neuroses. They feign interest, because they are awesome, but they are tiring of my rapidly shrinking vocabulary. I scroll through past posts, hoping to find something that will sway my rollercoaster of emotions (“Of course I will get in, I rocked that application”,“I should/shouldn’t have said XYZ during my interview”,”I can’t wait to start in July”,”How many more times do I apply before it’s time to move on”,”Two! more! weeks!... but once I know, I know...”). Does any of this sound familiar? My point is, though it may seem that way, you are not alone in this. I am grateful to have a place to chat and it is reassuring to know that there are others feeling just as nervous... even if we are just a bunch of donkeys trying to find meaning in a pile of rocks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, hopingformd said:

The fact that there's 11 (and up to 19) less spots than there were last year (where waitlist mvmt was already abnormally low) makes me feel like I have no chance at all now. Anyone else really fixating on this information? 

Recently, I've also been reading all the past waitlist threads for some earthly reason :') 

I've totally been feeling the same, you're definitely not alone! The odds were already low before and now even more so it is hard :( BUT just have to wait and see and hope for the best! I've just been trying to exercise lots and do things I like to take my mind off of it :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2020 at 10:51 AM, carepep said:

I've totally been feeling the same, you're definitely not alone! The odds were already low before and now even more so it is hard :( BUT just have to wait and see and hope for the best! I've just been trying to exercise lots and do things I like to take my mind off of it :) 

Yeah, I feel like it's kind of crazy they interviewed 576 people for only 120-128 spots. I know it's so they can meet as many people as possible (and provide the experience to as many people as possible!), but it definitely makes the post-interview wait more nerve-wracking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hopingformd said:

Yeah, I feel like it's kind of crazy they interviewed 576 people for only 120-128 spots. I know it's so they can meet as many people as possible (and provide the experience to as many people as possible!), but it definitely makes the post-interview wait more nerve-wracking.

I was creeping on the Ontario forum, and some of those schools have an almost 50% post-interview acceptance rate! UofC is going to be like 20%. And idk bout you, but everyone I've met at interviews seems like they deserve a spot, so the decision is going to come to the smallest differences... 

UofC still has a near 50% acceptance rate post interview!

As you can see, last year only 135 spots were available and they still made 245 offers. Only 7 less spots are being offered this year compared to the year before. I predict that over 200 offers will still be made this year.

A6ECD06D-7569-42BD-91B2-A143760125FD.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2020 at 11:10 AM, RiderSx said:

UofC still has a near 50% acceptance rate post interview!

As you can see, last year only 135 spots were available and they still made 245 offers. Only 7 less spots are being offered this year compared to the year before. I predict that over 200 offers will still be made this year.

A6ECD06D-7569-42BD-91B2-A143760125FD.jpeg

Wow! Thanks for clarifying that, I had no idea. This would be including waitlisters who made it in then i guess? I probably should have checked the stats before blabbing, I'm a first time applicant and haven't really looked into stats anywhere too much. This was really good info to know! :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that includes wait listed people. 

It shouldn't be surprising to see a bunch of waitlist movement at the UofC as they're in the same province as the UofA and there's a substantial group that interviews at both. Most provinces don't have ~300 IP spots available with two schools giving two chances. I also wonder if this is one reason the UofC's average matriculate age is high, someone who is a bit older may prefer the 3 year program, while younger applicants would be more likely to favour the UofA. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...