Premed 101 Forums

Chatter as we wait.

3 minutes ago, motherofdragons said:

Same though it is at random. I thought they would have completed this step in the process by now if we were to find out by May 11th. I do remember reading somewhere that they continue to verify even after results come out so maybe it doesn't affect timelines too much.

Agree, I'm not gunna read into it but also thought it was interesting that they're still doing checks

17 minutes ago, motherofdragons said:

Same though it is at random. I thought they would have completed this step in the process by now if we were to find out by May 11th. I do remember reading somewhere that they continue to verify even after results come out so maybe it doesn't affect timelines too much.

If you (or others) don't mind sharing, how many of your verifiers did they contact? Top 10 and/or employment? I'm wondering because some of my verifiers probably wouldn't think to let me know if they have been contacted, though others would. 

1 minute ago, Gumby said:

If you (or others) don't mind sharing, how many of your verifiers did they contact? I'm wondering because some of my verifiers probably wouldn't think to let me know if they have been contacted, though others would. 

Just one and I'm in the same boat as you - not sure if my other verifiers would let me know. 

11 hours ago, Gumby said:

If you (or others) don't mind sharing, how many of your verifiers did they contact? Top 10 and/or employment? I'm wondering because some of my verifiers probably wouldn't think to let me know if they have been contacted, though others would. 

Just one for me as well (that I know of). This one was both a top 10 and employment entry

Ahh I'm grateful for the latest blog post--to know that I may still stand a chance, even if my verifiers haven't been contacted. I hope that they contact me in the case that some of the verifiers aren't able to be reached (COVID and all). No matter the outcome, I wish us all the best next week!

In the meantime, what is everyone doing to pass the time? I've taken up jigsawing (as the Brits say), written a few new songs, and have accumulated 23 house plants. I even got myself a Bob Ross puzzle with many "happy little trees". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5nMXlA-_rM

47 minutes ago, Gumby said:

Ahh I'm grateful for the latest blog post--to know that I may still stand a chance, even if my verifiers haven't been contacted. I hope that they contact me in the case that some of the verifiers aren't able to be reached (COVID and all). No matter the outcome, I wish us all the best next week!

In the meantime, what is everyone doing to pass the time? I've taken up jigsawing (as the Brits say), written a few new songs, and have accumulated 23 house plants. I even got myself a Bob Ross puzzle with many "happy little trees". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5nMXlA-_rM

Yes, don't lose hope! It is random like they've said. I've started prepping my backyard for gardening and have been obsessing over where to plant what. 

Tbh, thinking of waiting another week makes me even more impatient. I don't know how some applicants go through this consecutively over multiple cycles. You need real tenacity and mental fortitude!! 

5 minutes ago, Heme said:

Debate topic #1 :D: Should there be a maximum age for admission to med school and/or when is it time to move on?

Let's keep it friendly.

Based on some of the posts we have seen on the blog, you should also discuss minimum age, as it is clear that there are plenty of people applying to medical school who are not mature enough to handle uncertainty, grey areas and faith in a system that will never be perfect. The constant chase for "fairness" is ridiculous considering the subjective nature of the process.

Also, I think starting a thread like this is not productive and is only going to cause divisiveness. I appreciate your attempt to start a dialogue, but there are better topics out there which could be more productive and have a relevant application if one was to be accepted in any healthcare field.

6 minutes ago, powdermonkey13 said:

Also, I think starting a thread like this is not productive and is only going to cause divisiveness. I appreciate your attempt to start a dialogue, but there are better topics out there which could be more productive and have a relevant application if one was to be accepted in any healthcare field.

Thanks for your response!

I don't feel that it is unproductive, as there are a number of us who are coming to this profession as older applicants and really need to weigh the financial, situational and emotional costs of "starting over," particularly if we have dependents. We all know how much effort is put into applying to medicine. I suppose I am trying to figure out when the scale tips towards it no longer being a viable option for the applicant or the school.

Are file reviewers able to see an applicant's age? Or do they have to infer it indirectly?

I know that there is some aspect of "what does this applicant do with their time?" or sense of productiveness/achievement per year (lots of applications ask for the amount of hours per activity). Perhaps the better metric is based on the productivity per year and comparing applicants that way? As one would expect, more 'mature' applicant have more experience, but they've also had more time to accumulate that experience. However, someone like myself who started working at age 12 has had many years of 'experience' but not all years since I've begun working can be viewed equally (if adcoms are inferring my age). Alternatively, if one starts their post-secondary education at a later age than most, those years are likely different because the applicant had accumulated experience before entering university that may advantage them in activities outside of university-time. What I'm saying is that it might be better to compare apples to apples, oranges to oranges. 

Apologies for the long-winded response, but I think age is a nebulous metric.