Premed 101 Forums

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure this out a bit more. I want to match to something competitive, but it feels so impossible. I'm interested in a competitive specialty, but without an objective grades system I feel lost. I'm worried about nepotism and connections, and feel like even the push to publish simply won't help distinguish myself. It's really starting to weigh on me, because I don't feel like studying for school is the best use of my time (pass/fail and all) but at the same time, gunning publications doesn't feel like it's helping much either.

What do you think? I'm surely not the only one feeling this.

23 minutes ago, IMislove said:

Same, same. Just riding the wave, waiting for clerkship so that one can hopefully shine both with being a good team player and doing well on the job. Rest is up to them. 

Well said. That counts for a lot! I applied to 3 fields where I felt I would be happy personally & professionally, and then, it had to play out, as it was entirely out of my hands. I was selected for a small surgical specialty where I was the least qualified but I had the ingredients IMisLove mentioned. Not one gunner was chosen.

1 hour ago, IMislove said:

Same, same. Just riding the wave, waiting for clerkship so that one can hopefully shine both with being a good team player and doing well on the job. Rest is up to them. 

Honestly a lot of this also depends on who your preceptor is - some will give glowing reviews like candy while others just give you what they give everyone

All you can do is try your best and hope everything works out - good luck!

58 minutes ago, Bambi said:

Well said. That counts for a lot! I applied to 3 fields where I felt I would be happy personally & professionally, and then, it had to play out, as it was entirely out of my hands. I was selected for a small surgical specialty where I was the least qualified but I had the ingredients IMisLove mentioned. Not one gunner was chosen.

That's well said. Maybe I should see this less as something to control and simply something to let unfold as it will. Don't you feel though that you could've done more? Maybe research? I have this nagging feeling that if I really wanted it, I could force my way into getting in by working harder. But I think that's true up until a point, and maybe after that it's all luck. Tough to say.

It must unfold, luck is very much involved in this lottery process.I did a literature review with an upperclassman over a 3 week period and was published, it did me no good when I applied in this field. Go figure. Don’t try to for e anything, in clerkship, just be your hard working, collaborative self, in the end, it all comes down to being “a good fit”. I know a physician whose life changing moment occurred in an elevator, when he struck up a conversation with an attending he admired and never met, he got into that specialty! Situations may occur that become opportunities to grasp. 

1 hour ago, Bambi said:

luck is very much involved in this lottery process.

I couldn't agree more.  Discovered a current fellow at McGill who scored a 251 on the MCCEE (250 = pass).  Not only did this person match to an IM program in Ontario, but they are currently at McGill doing a fellowship as we speak.  Meanwhile, people who score over the 80-90th percentiles, have at least one pub, crazy extracurricular experiences, good social and interpersonal skillsets, and dare I say have interviewed well in the past.. can't even get a CaRMS interview - let alone match! 

Goes to show just how much luck and who you know, any given Sunday, can impact your destiny in this game. 

OP - first of all you're completely right that connections/nepotism>>>>elective performance/interviews/LORs>>>>>>research/what you look like on paper in competitive specialties. The thing about CaRMs is that about 50% get their first choice and about 75%ish get their top 3 so the system goes on and for most people it works out. You're absolutely right that there should be a fair/objective system to select applicants because nepotism/connections or even good luck don't predict a good resident. Hopefully now that you've realized the formula to a good CaRMs match, you can go about building those relationships that matter.