Premed 101 Forums

Is my term GPA useless now?

Hi,

So I am a third year student going into fourth year. 

First Year GPA = 3.2 ..pathetic I know 

Second Year: 3.4 .. yes I know 

Its trash I'm trash I had a lot of circumstances honestly still kind of have some of them but learning to deal with them better with age 

Third Year (current): 3.96 FIRST SEMESTER and expected 3.9 something this semester (still waiting on one course mark)

so are my grades for this semester essentially trash? I hear all this stuff about how it was easier to get better marks this semester and what not, honest to god this semester was absolute sh** for me, I worked very hard, and 3/4 of the semester wasnt online, stressed about midterms and projects and basically did not have a life, and then corona came and everything went online and i was screen recorded for all my online exams didnt cheat or anything just studied at home despite how hard it was. 

Now I hear they're just tossing these marks, man the lord does not want me to be a doctor, the year I finally fix my grades is the year grades dont count.... I feel like my upward trend doesnt mean anything to them anymore theyre going to look and be like "yes because of corona" and not even realize first semester didnt have this situation and that it was actually much harder with this scenario for me to do well.. I dropped my grades in 2 courses I was getting an A+ in... to an A when we went online because those online exams were horrible, I guess not everyone had the same experience, since apparently a lot of grades went up going online meanwhile I went down... 

Anyways, does anyone have any advice? Like anything???? 

UofT and Western Conditional were my only options this year., since my wGPA is a lot higher for UofT than my cGPA, I worked it out to 3.8 something, which I know is not competitive but I thought it was worth a shot... Do I just like jump of a bridge like what do I even do.... 

Anyone please any advice I know the world is in sh** right now and this virus effects everyone but I feel absolutely hopeless at this point and I dont mean to sound dramatic but like I honestly feel like I worked hard for nothing and this has essentially been how my life always goes, I work hard, and then something happens and ruins everything (exactly what happened to me first year.. lets just say I went into all those course exams with high 90s from the midterms and the week of exams I got sick and  I was too scared to defer them, so I was literally throwing up before my calculus exam it was awful, now I know to just defer the stupid exam if I am that sick) : anyways I'll save the sob story 

A huge part of me wants to give up on everything , find the nearest bridge, and jump off

But the fighting part of me is asking for advice, masters ,post , anything. Since I will be graduating this upcoming year, and it looks like my chances of med this year are done, I dont really know what to do. 

I really do not want to do a fifth year, and I am set to graduate, does anyone have any advice ???? Good masters programs they thoroughly enjoyed??? plan b's they did while pursuing med??? 

I definitely get what you mean, and this is very unfair for everyone who were counting on wGPA. People who worked harder this semester due to everything going online should not have to suffer, and be told that all of their hard work went into nothing. You are also right in that we had 3/4 of the semester completed anyway. I just hope the admissions committee does not only look at this in a one-sided manner, and actually look at all sides before making this decision.

Hey the situation sucks, but please keep perspective. Even in jest it is not a good idea to talk about this making you want to jump off a bridge. I am in a similar situation (tho not exactly) where this term's GPA would have been beneficial, and while it sucks that a few schools have come out and said they won't consider w20, it is not the end of the world. Keep in mind NOT ALL SCHOOLS have done this, and stateside, they are NOT all throwing out the semester. Keep calm pls.

Think about all the challenges you will face in your life. This will not be the last one, nor the hardest, especially if you hopefully do become a physician. It's tough to do this but we need to embrace the situation and do the best we can given the circumstances. 

24 minutes ago, AB2 said:

Hey the situation sucks, but please keep perspective. Even in jest it is not a good idea to talk about this making you want to jump off a bridge. I am in a similar situation (tho not exactly) where this term's GPA would have been beneficial, and while it sucks that a few schools have come out and said they won't consider w20, it is not the end of the world. Keep in mind NOT ALL SCHOOLS have done this, and stateside, they are NOT all throwing out the semester. Keep calm pls.

Think about all the challenges you will face in your life. This will not be the last one, nor the hardest, especially if you hopefully do become a physician. It's tough to do this but we need to embrace the situation and do the best we can given the circumstances. 

Man,  I respect physicians so much, but I think a lot of their maturity came from actually being in med school and doing the residency, as of right now I am a premed stressing to get into medical school, I agree 100% that if the day god blesses me and decides I can become one,  I will have benefited from those years of medical school and training and have learned to deal with situations accordingly, but as of right now, I am a premed set to graduate next year with undergraduate debt and a bachelor degree in science that I have NO idea what I am going to do with if I do not get into medical school, I've faced a lot of challenges, but this is the first time in my life where I have felt lost... theres always been a timeline.. you go to school... you graduate... you get your career, i'm in the last stage latter the career part, so I am a little stressed, I also have -2929020 financial privilege and 0 family so i rely on OSAP and a part time job for income, my networth is like 3000$ and proected to be -18,000$ after i graduate so yes I am stressed  

Maturity comes from many things, residency and med school certainly, but don't discount the ways you will grow that aren't med school. You can certainly learn to deal with situations of stress outside of med school. And remember that resilience+maturity is a virtue unto itself, not simply something Adcoms looks at positively (though they do).

I hope I'm not coming off as just fake trying to reassure a stranger, but this is the perspective I strive to keep in life in general. I feel for you, and your stresses are valid, but even tho we do not have the same set of difficulties I think we can all benefit from this attitude.

In the long run we will be fine, most likely.

Hi Ijustwantmed,

I see your concern and I would just say keep your head up and keep moving forward! Only a couple of medical schools have announced they are not using certain grades due to COVID-19, and there is still a lot of time and a lot of resources available to help you succeed! I am not sure if you were making the statements about self-harm in your post in jest as AB2 had suggested, so I just wanted to let you know that you are incredibly valued and loved. I have attached some resources below to help you if you are feeling down about this process and are having thoughts of any sort of self harm:

Canada Suicide Prevention Service: 1-833-456-4566

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255

Good2Talk: 1-866-925-5454

Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention Centre of BC: 1-800-784-2433

I know you might feel alone during this isolated time, but we are a community and we are here to support one another. I hope that you stay well and I wish you the best of luck as you continue to pursue medicine.

On 4/14/2020 at 8:50 PM, Ijustwantmed said:

Hi,

So I am a third year student going into fourth year. 

First Year GPA = 3.2 ..pathetic I know 

Second Year: 3.4 .. yes I know 

Its trash I'm trash I had a lot of circumstances honestly still kind of have some of them but learning to deal with them better with age 

Third Year (current): 3.96 FIRST SEMESTER and expected 3.9 something this semester (still waiting on one course mark)

so are my grades for this semester essentially trash? I hear all this stuff about how it was easier to get better marks this semester and what not, honest to god this semester was absolute sh** for me, I worked very hard, and 3/4 of the semester wasnt online, stressed about midterms and projects and basically did not have a life, and then corona came and everything went online and i was screen recorded for all my online exams didnt cheat or anything just studied at home despite how hard it was. 

Now I hear they're just tossing these marks, man the lord does not want me to be a doctor, the year I finally fix my grades is the year grades dont count.... I feel like my upward trend doesnt mean anything to them anymore theyre going to look and be like "yes because of corona" and not even realize first semester didnt have this situation and that it was actually much harder with this scenario for me to do well.. I dropped my grades in 2 courses I was getting an A+ in... to an A when we went online because those online exams were horrible, I guess not everyone had the same experience, since apparently a lot of grades went up going online meanwhile I went down... 

Anyways, does anyone have any advice? Like anything???? 

UofT and Western Conditional were my only options this year., since my wGPA is a lot higher for UofT than my cGPA, I worked it out to 3.8 something, which I know is not competitive but I thought it was worth a shot... Do I just like jump of a bridge like what do I even do.... 

Anyone please any advice I know the world is in sh** right now and this virus effects everyone but I feel absolutely hopeless at this point and I dont mean to sound dramatic but like I honestly feel like I worked hard for nothing and this has essentially been how my life always goes, I work hard, and then something happens and ruins everything (exactly what happened to me first year.. lets just say I went into all those course exams with high 90s from the midterms and the week of exams I got sick and  I was too scared to defer them, so I was literally throwing up before my calculus exam it was awful, now I know to just defer the stupid exam if I am that sick) : anyways I'll save the sob story 

A huge part of me wants to give up on everything , find the nearest bridge, and jump off

But the fighting part of me is asking for advice, masters ,post , anything. Since I will be graduating this upcoming year, and it looks like my chances of med this year are done, I dont really know what to do. 

I really do not want to do a fifth year, and I am set to graduate, does anyone have any advice ???? Good masters programs they thoroughly enjoyed??? plan b's they did while pursuing med??? 

Hi :) 

First of all , you're NOT trash!! You are a hard working person that try his/her best to go to medschool.

Please seek help !

If you need to talk, you can always email me here in the forum :)

Stay strong

You're doing amazing!

p.s (Sorry for my english,i'm french haha!) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2020 at 8:30 AM, W0lfgang said:

So bad grades first two years and good grades in third year so far? It's similar to how my undergrad started.

Yeah, so I was kind of hoping for a conditional offer from western , but seeing your PGY-6 Radiology and you saying you were in a similar situation is very motivational thank you so much 

On 4/16/2020 at 1:39 PM, Med89 said:

Hi :) 

First of all , you're NOT trash!! You are a hard working person that try his/her best to go to medschool.

Please seek help !

If you need to talk, you can always email me here in the forum :)

Stay strong

You're doing amazing!

p.s (Sorry for my english,i'm french haha!) 

Thank you god bless you 

On 4/15/2020 at 9:57 AM, ApplyingMD said:

Hi Ijustwantmed,

I see your concern and I would just say keep your head up and keep moving forward! Only a couple of medical schools have announced they are not using certain grades due to COVID-19, and there is still a lot of time and a lot of resources available to help you succeed! I am not sure if you were making the statements about self-harm in your post in jest as AB2 had suggested, so I just wanted to let you know that you are incredibly valued and loved. I have attached some resources below to help you if you are feeling down about this process and are having thoughts of any sort of self harm:

Canada Suicide Prevention Service: 1-833-456-4566

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255

Good2Talk: 1-866-925-5454

Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention Centre of BC: 1-800-784-2433

I know you might feel alone during this isolated time, but we are a community and we are here to support one another. I hope that you stay well and I wish you the best of luck as you continue to pursue medicine.

I actually did call and it put me in a much safer mentality I appreciate this. It was in jest but there is always a bit of truth in jokes, thank you again.