• 64-64.9
    • 63-63.9
    • 62-62.9
    • 61-61.9
    • 60-60.9
    • 59-59.9
    • 59>

2 hours ago, mermaidblue said:

I am just wondering, does anyone know if you are automatically registered for classes if you pay the deposit or is it that you need to pick the class? Also what does the min and max mean here? Like do you mean some classes have a max of 34 people not registered yet and a min of 13 for others? Sorry about the questions, just trying to gauge if we are likely to see movement! 

Thanks!!

I’m pretty sure you need to pay your deposit, then you can go in and register for each of the classes. I meant that the classes vary in how many have already registered. A few classes had 34 seats left open, one other had only 13 seats left open (of the posted 120, which may or may not be the actual number of seats LOL!). 

8 minutes ago, med1day said:

It doesn’t make sense that the class size still stays 120 when they were supposed to add 16 new seats in total? https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5240073
...unless they didn’t do it...

I also read this article when it came out! Someone posted last year that the class registration page listed a max class size of 120, and it has yet to be changed... another mystery I guess. 

7 hours ago, mermaidblue said:

I am just wondering, does anyone know if you are automatically registered for classes if you pay the deposit or is it that you need to pick the class? Also what does the min and max mean here? Like do you mean some classes have a max of 34 people not registered yet and a min of 13 for others? Sorry about the questions, just trying to gauge if we are likely to see movement! 

Thanks!!

Registering for classes is one of the to-do's you have to actively do. However they also add to not register for classes unless your likely to actually go to Dalhousie. 

5 hours ago, med1day said:

It doesn’t make sense that the class size still stays 120 when they were supposed to add 16 new seats in total? https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5240073
...unless they didn’t do it...

I could be wrong, but I thought they'd only fill those 16 new seats if they had applicants who fit the criteria, and as far as I saw they never really explicitly said what the criteria was? (i.e. what do they define as "rural"?)

1 hour ago, halimed said:

Registering for classes is one of the to-do's you have to actively do. However they also add to not register for classes unless your likely to actually go to Dalhousie. 

Oh I see, so perhaps people have registered but will drop out? Thank you for the info. 

20 minutes ago, Chels1267 said:

I could be wrong, but I thought they'd only fill those 16 new seats if they had applicants who fit the criteria, and as far as I saw they never really explicitly said what the criteria was? (i.e. what do they define as "rural"?)

I agree, but at the same time wouldn't it be useless if they don't fill in the position since we need more physicians in NS. I think since the gov has already funded it then they need to fill it and maybe if they don't have enough people who meet the criteria then they still fill it out with others from NS? Just making some guesses here!

They definitely could find 16 people from rural Nova Scotia in the applicant pool, Nova Scotia has a high rural population so I don’t think filling the seats is an issue. And even if they didn’t I don’t see why they would leave any government funded seats unfilled. I’m suspecting they may have delayed adding them due to COVID concerns with class size or just haven’t updated the max seats on dalonline. There should be 130 seats there to reflect the new class size. 

May 26 @ 820am

Foundations / Human Development have 28 seats open

Metabolism/ Electives/ Rural week/ Professional Competencies have 23 seats open

Host Defense has 5 seats open but I should mention that this class is correlating with 2nd year course seats dropping as well so I really feel like its not just Med1s in Host Defense

I highly highly doubt they would leave any seat unfilled, and don't think they would get away with not adding the seats because of COVID. Its likely just them not bothering to change the 120 because they know its easy enough to override and they'll get everyone accepted in the classes eventually. Maybe they read these threads and like to keep us guessing lol.

11 hours ago, mermaidblue said:

I agree, but at the same time wouldn't it be useless if they don't fill in the position since we need more physicians in NS. I think since the gov has already funded it then they need to fill it and maybe if they don't have enough people who meet the criteria then they still fill it out with others from NS? Just making some guesses here!

Oh I totally agree they should fill them. If, for example though, some of the seats were allocated for low income or Indigenous applicants and they didn't have any applicants who fit those criteria they'd have to leave them unfilled. I never saw more about the new seats after they announced them last year, maybe someone else saw more?

If anyone made it to the little potluck the day before the November interviews, students from the current class mentioned that the incoming class this fall is going to have the extra 12 seats. My understanding from the news releases about the extra seats (16 seats total, 4 added last year and 12 added this year) was that they are for NS applicants in general but will be earmarked for rural applicants. Bottom line is they will be filled with NS students for sure. The point of adding seats in the first place was to deal with the NS physician shortage so I can't imagine a scenario where they will be left unfilled.

On another note, is anyone on the NS WL waitlisted somewhere else and would decline Dal if they get in elsewhere?

May 27 @ 12pm

Foundations / Human Development have 24 seats open

Metabolism/ Electives/ Rural week/ Professional Competencies have 19 seats open

Host Defense is now displaying 0 seats available.

so it looks like 4 people registered for classes yesterday, yet no posts of people getting off the WLs....  my guess is that it was people who were already accepted but waiting on other schools as long as possible.

Also for those who were discussing the numbers yesterday, it says on the website that 124 will be accepted this year, 79 from NS (confirming that the 12 seats have in fact been added this year to the NS pool).... and then there are the supernumerary positions which are not well described on the website, but by general definition shouldn't be included in that 124.... am I right? Does anyone know how the people who apply under Affirmative Action affect overall numbers? would they be included in the 124? (there is some discussion around this on the forum from last year but nothing concrete)

18 minutes ago, Jessletmein said:

May 27 @ 12pm

Foundations / Human Development have 24 seats open

Metabolism/ Electives/ Rural week/ Professional Competencies have 19 seats open

Host Defense is now displaying 0 seats available.

so it looks like 4 people registered for classes yesterday, yet no posts of people getting off the WLs....  my guess is that it was people who were already accepted but waiting on other schools as long as possible.

Also for those who were discussing the numbers yesterday, it says on the website that 124 will be accepted this year, 79 from NS (confirming that the 12 seats have in fact been added this year to the NS pool).... and then there are the supernumerary positions which are not well described on the website, but by general definition shouldn't be included in that 124.... am I right? Does anyone know how the people who apply under Affirmative Action affect overall numbers? would they be included in the 124? (there is some discussion around this on the forum from last year but nothing concrete)

Interesting... I wish they would let us know when the waitlist has moved or not. I have no idea about the affirmative action affecting the overall numbers but I would assume that it wouldn't because the numbers can vary each year and they aren't set numbers. This is just a guess!

Thanks for the update!

Once someone accepts a seat off of the WL it might take dal a few days to turnaround with the checklist. The deadline for registration also isn’t until August, so there’s a good chance that there’s people out there committed to dal that hasn’t registered yet.

Not here to burst any bubbles, but just giving some information about what those numbers could mean. Good luck to anyone still waiting to hear back :) don’t lose hope!

1 hour ago, Anaik said:

Once someone accepts a seat off of the WL it might take dal a few days to turnaround with the checklist. The deadline for registration also isn’t until August, so there’s a good chance that there’s people out there committed to dal that hasn’t registered yet.

Not here to burst any bubbles, but just giving some information about what those numbers could mean. Good luck to anyone still waiting to hear back :) don’t lose hope!

Good point, I will second this. Try not to get hung up on the numbers here. I just finished Med1 at Dal. By looking at the academic timetable where those numbers were pulled from, there are several discrepancies, like class size, different number of people in different classes, etc. 

Unless they’ve changed it for this year, last year you registered for all Med 1 courses using “block registration” meaning you register for all of the classes with one click. So I’m not sure why there are differing numbers between units (e.g., between Foundations and Host Defence, etc).

I can tell you that while Host Defence is quite challenging, there’s no way there is 20 people repeating it. Just out of the question. Med2’s do not take Host Defence, unless they’ve not passed the exam after several iterations, which is very unlikely. Med2 classes are also messed up too. There should be 116 seats available for all Med 2 classes, not 20..

TLDR; Don’t focus on the numbers, they look all messed up. Remain hopeful that the WL will move all.

24 minutes ago, Dalhousie23 said:

Good point, I will second this. Try not to get hung up on the numbers here. I just finished Med1 at Dal. By looking at the academic timetable where those numbers were pulled from, there are several discrepancies, like class size, different number of people in different classes, etc. 

Unless they’ve changed it for this year, last year you registered for all Med 1 courses using “block registration” meaning you register for all of the classes with one click. So I’m not sure why there are differing numbers between units (e.g., between Foundations and Host Defence, etc).

I can tell you that while Host Defence is quite challenging, there’s no way there is 20 people repeating it. Just out of the question. Med2’s do not take Host Defence, unless they’ve not passed the exam after several iterations, which is very unlikely. Med2 classes are also messed up too. There should be 116 seats available for all Med 2 classes, not 20..

TLDR; Don’t focus on the numbers, they look all messed up. Remain hopeful that the WL will move all.

All very true, I actually got the idea from you Dalhousie23 from your posts last year! I can't speak for everyone but I'd rather have A number, ANY number to look at for any indication at all lol to keep the hope, as I mentioned a few times we can't rely on these numbers for anything valid- but its better than nothing at all (for me at least). Thanks so much for the additional info!!!