Premed 101 Forums

Homophobia and matching

I hope to match to a niche/competitive surgical specialty. I know they require publications and I have several from previous experiences. My concern is that two of my previous papers are scientific publications about homosexuality. I have several other publications that have nothing to do with homosexuality, and I might be overthinking this, but I worry that when reviewing my application, they'll see those publications, think I'm gay, and then judge me negatively because of homophobia. I'm not homophobic and would be okay talking about the research I did, but still, I'm worried about someone being prejudiced and discriminating against me.

What do you think?

I don't know.... when I looked at an application for matching as a resident, those things always caught my eyes and I was like "this person is interesting. I want to get to know them better" and actually pay a bit more attention to their application (in a positive manner). Of course, this is just me and can't speak to other people reviewing your application, but I kinda like to see the applicants not be a cookie cutter. As much as it sounds pretty stupid, I truly believe diversity is the key to a good residency program! Even in my residency interview, I was never asked about my "more scientific" research like diabetes, but was always asked about my coffee research XD 

I assume it's program dependant to some extent; but I wouldn't worry that much about homophobia negatively affecting the match process. Even a decade ago when I matched--I'm openly gay and very up front when it comes up--it wasnt much of an issue.  Most academic programs in Canada have 1 or 2 LGBT faculty at this point. 

Even a decade ago, the only time it came up was at one program where it was suggested that I wouldn't like living in a more rural community--which I took as a dog whistle at the time. But in retrospect, the person who told me that may have been (correctly) intimating that the program would not have been a good fit for any number of other reasons. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 7:46 PM, #YOLO said:

tbh ur at an advantage. this is the new hype train/crave in medicine right now

On 5/7/2020 at 2:55 AM, garceyues said:

What do you mean by this?

Standard dog whistle.  Engage or not at your preference.

Those who think one way will read it as acknowledge of positive change or at least dismiss it as a neutral comment.

Those who he's speaking to will read it as an indication that the minority is receiving preferential treatment enforcing their victimization.  

We should all easily be able to read this type of comment for what it is by now.

I can't believe I have to say this, but please refrain from spouting homophobic views/shady statements. Judgemental comments are unnecessary in this thread. Being homosexual is obviously not a fad. This thread was started on legitimate worries and questions, and thus should be answered with serious replies. 

The thread won't be locked for now, but take this commentary as a warning to whom it may concern.