Premed 101 Forums

CHANCES FOR UBC AS IP

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all doing well. Just wanted to ask for some advice regarding stats for the upcoming cycle and if there is anything I should look to improve on, I am just finishing up my 2nd year of Undergrad:

In province applicant

GPA: 4.14/4.33, roughly about 91% for UBC

MCAT: Not written yet, not sure how it'll be looked at for the upcoming cycle

ECs: NSERC USRA with UBC Faculty of Medicine, BCCHR Summer Research Studentship award (4 months), Student Research Position with UBC Digital Emergency Medicine (1 year), Student Research Position in Orthopedic Surgery at BC Childrens (3 months), Student Research Assistant at Uni working with children with FASD (3 months), Vice President of Circle K Club at Uni, Big Brothers Big Sisters Mentor (2+ years), Game On Mentor for Big Brothers Big Sisters ( 3 months), eMentor for Indigenous students and students from rural communities (1 year), Peace Ambassador, Executive Member of STEM Fellowship Journal Editorial Board (1 year), Tutor at Uni, Employment for the past 4 years including being a Community Rec Leader, Student Ambassador at Uni, President's Entrance Scholarship at school, leadership award, Poster Presentation at Ottawa Conference, Poster Presentation at BC Children's, Poster Presentation at conference at Harvard, selected to attend Leadership conference in Bangkok, Thailand ... that's about all I can think of right now

What do you guys think? I am hoping to apply this upcoming cycle at UBC just to see what my chances are?

33 minutes ago, Olle said:

GPA is golden, and I wish you the best for the MCAT

Your ECs could use more long-term activities as all of your activities are very short-term. Med schools tend to value depth. 

What would you consider long-term? I dont have anything that is longer than 4 years unless I include stuff like playing basketball for fun for 8 years, travelling, employment (5 years), etc

13 hours ago, HopefulMD786 said:

What would you consider long-term? I dont have anything that is longer than 4 years unless I include stuff like playing basketball for fun for 8 years, travelling, employment (5 years), etc

Those are all things that are important to include. ECs are a way for them to get to know you as a whole. When thinking of ECs try and include things that are not only traditional premed activities. 

On 4/16/2020 at 10:22 PM, HopefulMD786 said:

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all doing well. Just wanted to ask for some advice regarding stats for the upcoming cycle and if there is anything I should look to improve on, I am just finishing up my 2nd year of Undergrad:

In province applicant

GPA: 4.14/4.33, roughly about 91% for UBC

MCAT: Not written yet, not sure how it'll be looked at for the upcoming cycle

ECs: NSERC USRA with UBC Faculty of Medicine, BCCHR Summer Research Studentship award (4 months), Student Research Position with UBC Digital Emergency Medicine (1 year), Student Research Position in Orthopedic Surgery at BC Childrens (3 months), Student Research Assistant at Uni working with children with FASD (3 months), Vice President of Circle K Club at Uni, Big Brothers Big Sisters Mentor (2+ years), Game On Mentor for Big Brothers Big Sisters ( 3 months), eMentor for Indigenous students and students from rural communities (1 year), Peace Ambassador, Executive Member of STEM Fellowship Journal Editorial Board (1 year), Tutor at Uni, Employment for the past 4 years including being a Community Rec Leader, Student Ambassador at Uni, President's Entrance Scholarship at school, leadership award, Poster Presentation at Ottawa Conference, Poster Presentation at BC Children's, Poster Presentation at conference at Harvard, selected to attend Leadership conference in Bangkok, Thailand ... that's about all I can think of right now

What do you guys think? I am hoping to apply this upcoming cycle at UBC just to see what my chances are?

Excellent GPA and ECs. Agree, add meaningful and long-term events in your activities. BC likes that kinda stuff and their in province folks ;)