Premed 101 Forums

Will McMaster release selection criteria before May 12?

So how will the waitlist be done? By pre-interview ranking or lottery - Im leaning to the latter

It doesnt make sense to lottery and then revert back to ranking after admitting that all 450 applicants have equivalent chances of admission.

It doesnt take much work to random number generator a number between 1 and n (number of applicants on the waitlist) each time a spot opens. However, why not just keep everyone on the waitlist then instead of rejecting some

1 minute ago, William Osler said:

Why even reject a small number of people by lottery then? Why not keep them all on the waitlist? Strange

to take away some people's hope? lol 

but in seriousness just so some people can move on with their lives

like why keep ~350 hoping when you can cut it to 250 and still fill up the class 

9 minutes ago, William Osler said:

So how will the waitlist be done? By pre-interview ranking or lottery - Im leaning to the latter

It doesnt make sense to lottery and then revert back to ranking after admitting that all 450 applicants have equivalent chances of admission.

It doesnt take much work to random number generator a number between 1 and n (number of applicants on the waitlist) each time a spot opens. However, why not just keep everyone on the waitlist then instead of rejecting some

I think they are going to take the remaining applicants after the top 100, randomly assign a number from 1 through x. Then, based on previous years' ranking and the amount of accepted, rejected, waitlisted, they'll reject applicants whose number fall in the "rejected" posotions, accept whatever amount they would usually accept starting from 1 to 106 or whatever, and then waitlist the remaining in order and work their way down the waitlist. 

2 minutes ago, rawshrimp said:

I think they are going to take the remaining applicants after the top 100, randomly assign a number from 1 through x. Then, based on previous years' ranking and the amount of accepted, rejected, waitlisted, they'll reject applicants whose number fall in the "rejected" posotions, accept whatever amount they would usually accept starting from 1 to 106 or whatever, and then waitlist the remaining in order and work their way down the waitlist. 

This is the best shit Ive ever read - theyre definitely doing this 

9 hours ago, worst24hours said:

Mac was my first choice :/

I'm so sad we are going through this, ..imo Mac is acting like a tyrannical Deity toying with us mere mortals. 

Thinking about the button tho .. so Mac would have had to make programming changes to the offers system. Whether that system is developed and maintained by OMSAS or a 3rd party Idk, but during March they will have been told to alter the offer logic to reflect the changes. So this glitch I believe is absolutely mac  specific maybe releasing it too early or to the wrong group - but the fact that some people have it and others don't does mean something because somewhere there is logic grouping buttoners together  There are several OMSAS  IT people on LI lets ask them wtf they did lol. 

Does anyone else find it odd that Mac decided against weighting casper more considering they developed it and touted it as a strong predictor of physician success? Also, it is the closest thing to an MMI. They didn't really even address casper in their email, which makes me even more skeptical of mcmaster.

Also to add to the spreadsheets-my stats are 3.95/131 and I don't have the button. I also interviewed at Ottawa.

I always tried to avoid these forums but I'm way to frustrated/stressed by macs decision so i need to talk about it somewhere and I just read 70 pages of discussion about this.

11 minutes ago, ready2go said:

Does anyone else find it odd that Mac decided against weighting casper more considering they developed it and touted it as a strong predictor of physician success? Also, it is the closest thing to an MMI. They didn't really even address casper in their email, which makes me even more skeptical of mcmaster.

Also to add to the spreadsheets-my stats are 3.95/131 and I don't have the button. I also interviewed at Ottawa.

I always tried to avoid these forums but I'm way to frustrated/stressed by macs decision so i need to talk about it somewhere and I just read 70 pages of discussion about this.

i totally agree. for a school that loves to promote the evaluation methods they developed, they were sure quick to abandon them in a time of uncertainty...

for some reason I just don't believe what the live chat person said. it even shows in the omsas tutorial vids that only those with an offer have the button. and we've done a lot of analysis that leads to us believing that button = lottery offer. perhaps they just don't want to say they made an error... or maybe this is just what I want to believe as a buttoner