Premed 101 Forums

Will McMaster release selection criteria before May 12?

Just now, MDLD said:

Sorry im like stress so read the email over like 5 times.. sorry if im being dumb but can someone summarize whats happening... 

Students who ranked as the top 100 according to pre-interviewing scoring (GPA, CARS, CAPERS and Masters/Phd boost) are getting offers.

Rest of the class is chosen via lottery. 

Just now, RejectedAgain said:

The button is probably indicative of offer then too eh

I commented this on another thread, but I was waitlisted last year (not accepted) at Mac (only interview), and had the button. This year, I interviewed at Mac and still have the button. 

Button probably doesn't mean anything

2 minutes ago, SoftTings said:

I'm honestly disgusted with Mac. This is horrible and messed up. Why not just send offers to the top 206 ranked??? In what world is this better or more fair??

literally using ANY combination of CARS GPA and CASPer would be acceptable...... at least that’s somehow merit-based. this is appalling 

Literally replacing the MMI with a 10-min panel interview would have been more fair and I don't get why they couldn't do it when others did. *Anything* to give us some sense of perceived control, Jesus. 

Also releasing all of this news on a Friday afternoon at the last minute--MMI cancellations, then this--just really frustrating. I am also surprised they fluffed-up the email with a bunch of unnecessary approval boards rather than justifying why this is better than simply opting for pre-interview scores or boosting the CASPer. I'm sure there's so much more we're not seeing... 

1 minute ago, Juxtaglomerulus said:

Literally replacing the MMI with a 10-min panel interview would have been more fair and I don't get why they couldn't do it when others did. *Anything* to give us some sense of perceived control, Jesus. 

Also releasing all of this news on a Friday afternoon at the last minute--MMI cancellations, then this--just really frustrating. I am also surprised they fluffed-up the email with a bunch of unnecessary approval boards rather than justifying why this is better than simply opting for pre-interview scores or boosting the CASPer. I'm sure there's so much more we're not seeing... 

This entire process has made me lose so much respect for Mac Med

Just now, thisisamess said:

Can someone please explain the whole "button" thing? I'm from OOP and have seen people mention it on other forums but have no explanation of what it actually is!! 

Under choices - offer page on OMSAS, since yesterday, a group of individuals of noted the appearance of a reset responses button that they suspect might indicate an offer

To be honest, this provides a great opportunity for research. 

Anecdotally, we believe that we can differentiate the top 5% and the bottom 5% of applicants, but there is a large swath of people in the middle. I personally can attest to this from being an assessor for multiple MMIs and having trouble differentiating applicants. In truth, most of the people McMaster interviews would make great physicians. So maybe we do not need to separate applicants by decimals (how they did on one station vs another, or a mild difference in GPA). Maybe the interview should just be used for cutoffs and if everyone can meet that standard, we use a lottery system? 

By taking the top 100 students and randomizing the rest (from 101-550 or so), you have two cohorts that Mac can study to see if there are any actual differences in scores (PPI, CAE, etc.) between applicants.
I suspect there won't be, which could really change the admissions process going forward. 

2 minutes ago, William Osler said:

Under choices - offer page on OMSAS, since yesterday, a group of individuals of noted the appearance of a reset responses button that they suspect might indicate an offer

Oh weird. I just checked and have the button but I'm not sure what that means obviously - do you think its been there for a while and people are just noticing? I'm not the type to check my OMSAS account on a daily basis but I know that other people keep a pretty close eye on it :confused:

1 minute ago, thisisamess said:

Oh weird. I just checked and have the button but I'm not sure what that means obviously - do you think its been there for a while and people are just noticing? I'm not the type to check my OMSAS account on a daily basis but I know that other people keep a pretty close eye on it :confused:

It's definitely a new thing

Nobody knows what it means for certain

4 minutes ago, Ethereal said:

By taking the top 100 students and randomizing the rest (from 101-550 or so), you have two cohorts that Mac can study to see if there are any actual differences in scores (PPI, CAE, etc.) between applicants.

As well as LMCC scores, match rates, what position of their list they matched on, etc. The possible outcomes are endless but the confounders increase as they progress through medical school. There aren't many objective measures to begin with anyways.

I think that it is also important to note, and perhaps a great source of comfort for all of those that were invited to interview this year, that if you are not offered admission to McMaster (or any other Canadian school) that they are guaranteeing you an opportunity to interview again next year. 

While this may mean you have to wait another year, it really could be a blessing in disguise. For example, what will the first year of medical school look like for students who are accepted into the class of 2024? Will it be in part online? Will students miss out on certain opportunities that other medical students have when not attending school in the midst of a pandemic? Of course there are many unknowns here, but at the bare minimum if you are not fortunate enough to receive an offer this year, then you will have a full year to try new things, gain new experiences and apply those next year to your interview. It isn't the best situation, but we are not the only ones making sacrifices in these trying times and by taking a step back and putting that into perspective, well, it has certainly done me a lot of good.  

33 minutes ago, William Osler said:

It's definitely a new thing

Nobody knows what it means for certain

After all of this the button definitely means an offer, the 100 random offers given out explain the difference in stats and the lack of a clear pattern. In total atleast 203 people will have the button (maybe more if they oversend) and these 203 people are made up of the top 100, and the 100 drawn by lottery.

Just wondering, what do you think Mac will do next year. Since there is a high good chance Covid won't be 100% resolved and that large groups of people as well as travel will be restricted. 

Like if would they do the lottery system again or add a component now or do an online interview.

And if they do an online interview then like why not have done it this year. 

1 minute ago, MDLD said:

Just wondering, what do you think Mac will do next year. Since there is a high good chance Covid won't be 100% resolved and that large groups of people as well as travel will be restricted. 

Like if would they do the lottery system again or add a component now or do an online interview.

And if they do an online interview then like why not have done it this year. 

I think by March next year it should be resolved. The thing that I’m thinking about is the interview spots. Some people might be offered the guaranteed interview next year. Will the cap still be at about 552 interviews or will they just interview more people?