Premed 101 Forums

Will McMaster release selection criteria before May 12?

5 minutes ago, RawRxD said:

How does that even make sense ? Not all 200 people who don’t get Mac will be reapplying. I imagine a decent chunk will be going to other schools lol

Not to mention many of the reapplicants would have gotten interviews again next year anyways if interviews weren’t guaranteed 

Maybe they add a few more interview spots but 200 more seems far fetched

It shouldn't be MORE anything. It should be total of 552 regardless of who is in that interview pool, whether it's next cycle applicants or leftovers from this cycle.

2 minutes ago, short_stack said:

It shouldn't be MORE anything. It should be total of 552 regardless of who is in that interview pool, whether it's next cycle applicants or leftovers from this cycle.

I’m in complete agreement lol but i personally don’t think they’ll be adding any more interview spots because i imagine most people would have gotten an interview again 

its unfortunate that we have zero control over it but what can we do :/ 

2 minutes ago, RawRxD said:

I’m in complete agreement lol but i personally don’t think they’ll be adding any more interview spots because i imagine most people would have gotten an interview again 

its unfortunate that we have zero control over it but what can we do :/ 

ngl as a low stats person who would need to crush MMI to get in, being thrown into a situation where I'm getting lottery'd and then having to compete against even more people next cycle, this is doing a real number on my mental health. :)

46 minutes ago, short_stack said:

ngl as a low stats person who would need to crush MMI to get in, being thrown into a situation where I'm getting lottery'd and then having to compete against even more people next cycle, this is doing a real number on my mental health. :)

Well if you get in through the lottery then its all good :) 3 more days! 

Does anyone know approximately how many people are put on a waitlist each year for Mac? My friends and I are trying to calculate the odds of a rejection, waitlist, and offer, but we don't know how many are usually rejected and how many are usually waitlisted.

14 minutes ago, Anon_9 said:

Does anyone know approximately how many people are put on a waitlist each year for Mac? My friends and I are trying to calculate the odds of a rejection, waitlist, and offer, but we don't know how many are usually rejected and how many are usually waitlisted.

Nobody knows. I'm assuming 100 offer, 150 waitlist, 200 reject of the 450 lottery applicants

5 minutes ago, Anon_9 said:

You mean 200 rejections?

Yes, assuming 330 waitlist movement and 550 total applicants

If you're ranked 1 to 100, your chances of being offered admission went from 60% to 100% 

If you're ranked 101 to 550, your chances of being offered admission went from 60% to 51% with lottery

Just now, pureblue said:

I know that 330 number is from the AFMC document, indicating how many offers were sent. Does this number include those who removed themselves from the wait list and thus never actually received an offer? The wording seems like it doesn't include it so it may actually be higher than 330.

330 does not include those who removed themselves from the waitlist when they got an offer elsewhere (this number is impossible to estimate). 330 is the number of offers McMaster makes out. So yes the waitlist randomized might be higher than 150

Just now, reginageorge said:

will there be more people on the waitlist? or more on the lottery offer list? 

More on the waitlist for sure 

550 applicants lets break them down:

Top 100

Lottery 100 (103 but just for the sake of having round numbers)

Waitlist 200 (Mac usually offers to 330 applicants but it doesnt include those that accepted offers at others schools, taking themselves off of the waitlist)

Reject 150 

3 minutes ago, pureblue said:

If button = waitlist why are we seeing more buttons than non-buttons?

# of people who get offers + # of people rejected > # of people waitlisted

Are we seeing more buttons?

If so, I see two possibilities: a) People thought the button was good, and therefore were more likely to report it than someone who didn't have it (just like we'll see more acceptances than rejections on Tuesday, due to reporting bias)

b) The waitlist could be very long due to the unusual circumstances, or maybe even all non-acceptances, like Ottawa's "bad waitlist"

Just now, pureblue said:

It just seems like a lot more people have posted saying they do have button compared to those without the button.

Also, the poll

Could be under reporting on the side of the non buttoners

200 waitlisted vs 203 accepted and 150 rejected - hmm youre right but that could be over reporting by button gang like you said

Just now, SoftTings said:

b) The waitlist could be very long due to the unusual circumstances, or maybe even all non-acceptances, like Ottawa's "bad waitlist"

Mac does reject people and even said they will reject people by lottery- I suspect this must be a pretty signifiant # on the magnitude of waitlisters (>100) to even justify randomizing them

However I still dont understand how the waitilst will work (random vs ranked). If random, why not keep everyone on the waitlist

1 minute ago, William Osler said:

Mac does reject people and even said they will reject people by lottery- I suspect this must be a pretty signifiant # on the magnitude of waitlisters (>100) to even justify randomizing them

However I still dont understand how the waitilst will work (random vs ranked). If random, why not keep everyone on the waitlist

That's a fair point, considering they have no idea how movement will look like this year, it seems pointless to randomly assign people to wait list / rejection.

it might be just so they don't have to repeat the lottery process every time someone denies