Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Does UBC assess MCAT scores competitively?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a 509 MCAT as an OOP and received an invite to my first choice campus at the first batch of wait list offers. Average wasn’t insanely high either (~90-91). Thought I did well on the interview!

I remember a number of years ago (maybe 10 now), UBC's post-interview weighting was leaked from someone in adcom. While it fluctuated ~5% per year, post-interview weighting looked something like 20% M

I asked an admission advisor this question once after an info session and she basically told me that it is assessed like a comparison kinda thing, so for example if you did poorly in a chemistry class

I’ve also thought about this a lot recently! 
 

As an applicant on their 4th application and 2nd interview and who’s mcat expires this year, it makes me wonder.. if ubc has two applicants who are equal in all else but one is like myself and one is on their first application with a fresh mcat, I would like to think that spot would go to the person who’s exam is expiring. 
 

who knows though

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish we could know! I have a lower MCAT but a 4.00 and tons of ECs. I got an interview this year as an OOP and I'm still in shock. I'm really hoping for an invite especially since I thought the MMI went so well. This wait is honestly killer. 

I can't remember who posted it, but they brought up a good point—if MCAT was really that important, it would be considered pre-interview.  Why waste time interviewing applicants who will automatically be disqualified post interview due to low MCAT scores? 

It's an interesting point...I don't know if it has any merit but it give me some comfort. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, coffeeandmed said:

I wish we could know! I have a lower MCAT but a 4.00 and tons of ECs. I got an interview this year as an OOP and I'm still in shock. I'm really hoping for an invite especially since I thought the MMI went so well. This wait is honestly killer. 

I can't remember who posted it, but they brought up a good point—if MCAT was really that important, it would be considered pre-interview.  Why waste time interviewing applicants who will automatically be disqualified post interview due to low MCAT scores? 

It's an interesting point...I don't know if it has any merit but it give me some comfort. 

Please keep us updated on your app! Would be interesting to know the outcome.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I asked an admission advisor this question once after an info session and she basically told me that it is assessed like a comparison kinda thing, so for example if you did poorly in a chemistry class but scored highly on the chem/phys section of the MCAT they would consider that. However, I have also heard a rumour before that they asses post interview score with 25% being counted as the MCAT- so I have no clue! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, initrams said:

I asked an admission advisor this question once after an info session and she basically told me that it is assessed like a comparison kinda thing, so for example if you did poorly in a chemistry class but scored highly on the chem/phys section of the MCAT they would consider that. However, I have also heard a rumour before that they asses post interview score with 25% being counted as the MCAT- so I have no clue! 

Whoa interesting! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, initrams said:

I asked an admission advisor this question once after an info session and she basically told me that it is assessed like a comparison kinda thing, so for example if you did poorly in a chemistry class but scored highly on the chem/phys section of the MCAT they would consider that. However, I have also heard a rumour before that they asses post interview score with 25% being counted as the MCAT- so I have no clue! 

but UBC has no pre-reqs so why would they care about what you scored in a chemistry class?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Their FAQ says pretty clearly: "Pre-interview, as long as score and date requirements are met, the MCAT is not a factor in determining who is invited to interview. Post-interview, MCAT scores are evaluated, so higher scores are better."

It's almost certainly a weighted portion of whatever calculation they use. It's also very likely evaluated as part of the holistic file review - e.g. if you don't have a lot of science courses in your prerequisites, but you do well in those areas of the MCAT, then that's likely beneficial. 

9 hours ago, HopefulMD786 said:

but UBC has no pre-reqs so why would they care about what you scored in a chemistry class?

They don't have science prereqs, but when the prereqs were eliminated several years I recall blog posts from the faculty about how they still had an emphasis on demonstrating aptitude for science in your application. Pretty sure they specifically talked about looking closer at the courses you do take that fall into the 'strongly recommended categories', like chemistry, biochem, etc., as well as those sections of the MCAT. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2020 at 9:54 AM, frenchpress said:

Their FAQ says pretty clearly: "Pre-interview, as long as score and date requirements are met, the MCAT is not a factor in determining who is invited to interview. Post-interview, MCAT scores are evaluated, so higher scores are better."

It's almost certainly a weighted portion of whatever calculation they use. It's also very likely evaluated as part of the holistic file review - e.g. if you don't have a lot of science courses in your prerequisites, but you do well in those areas of the MCAT, then that's likely beneficial. 

They don't have science prereqs, but when the prereqs were eliminated several years I recall blog posts from the faculty about how they still had an emphasis on demonstrating aptitude for science in your application. Pretty sure they specifically talked about looking closer at the courses you do take that fall into the 'strongly recommended categories', like chemistry, biochem, etc., as well as those sections of the MCAT. 

maybe they would consider activities like research as aptitude for science

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, HopefulMD786 said:

maybe they would consider activities like research as aptitude for science

Maybe! But UBC has also been pretty clear through things like reference requirements that they’re looking for evidence from your application that you can perform in an academic, undergraduate course setting. So I don’t think you could rely on research alone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, frenchpress said:

Maybe! But UBC has also been pretty clear through things like reference requirements that they’re looking for evidence from your application that you can perform in an academic, undergraduate course setting. So I don’t think you could rely on research alone.

yeah well thats what your uni grades are for

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 9:29 AM, helicase said:

I remember a number of years ago (maybe 10 now), UBC's post-interview weighting was leaked from someone in adcom. While it fluctuated ~5% per year, post-interview weighting looked something like 20% MCAT, 20% GPA, 60% interview. 

Wow, I wonder what it is now. Also, I can't understand why they wouldn't count the MCAT pre-interview but count it post-interview.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, coffeeandmed said:

I have the same line of thinking...why waste the interview on an applicant who will get rejected post-interview because their MCAT isn't competitive enough? It doesn't make sense. 

I know two people who got admitted last year, both of which scored less than a 507 last year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coffeeandmed said:

I have the same line of thinking...why waste the interview on an applicant who will get rejected post-interview because their MCAT isn't competitive enough? It doesn't make sense. 

It's not that their score would make them automatically ineligible for a spot, but that they would just need to score really well on the interview to be offered a spot. If your MCAT is low, other areas of your application have to shine post interview to get a spot. I think that's why they offer interviews to those with lower scores and dont just reject them right off the start. People get in every year with below average MCATs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...