Premed 101 Forums

Does UBC assess MCAT scores competitively?

On 5/6/2020 at 10:12 PM, mdpwns1763 said:

I don’t know maybe it’s my frustrations, but reading some passages on a test really doesn’t seem to be an indicator of ones personality and how they would perform in school. I know there is probably statistics behind it but I’d be frustrated to know that was the thing stopping me from getting In (125 in cars, 517 overall) 

Yeah, the whole MCAT was a big frustration for me as well – and for the most part not predictive at all of med school performance. I think it mostly serves as a 'barrier' to people applying to med on a whim. IIRC the only MCAT testing metric that's somewhat representative of how a person performs in medical school is CARS. I should probably re-look at the source for this metric, otherwise it's just heresay at this point.

That being said, the MCAT is something that, fortunately in Canada, students can retake without prejudice for earlier takes. If you do decide to retake it, I'm sure you'd study hard and come out better than before. I'm hoping for your acceptance this cycle!

On 5/6/2020 at 10:12 PM, mdpwns1763 said:

I don’t know maybe it’s my frustrations, but reading some passages on a test really doesn’t seem to be an indicator of ones personality and how they would perform in school. I know there is probably statistics behind it but I’d be frustrated to know that was the thing stopping me from getting In (125 in cars, 517 overall) 

Take a look at this post by @Neurophiliac