Premed 101 Forums

Winter 2020 grades?

AB2

49 minutes ago, conu905 said:

I heard back today. They told me at the time of application I can send them an email with my McGill ID number. However, at the moment they will not count the winter 2020 grades for the cGPA. Not sure what to make of this. 

Does that mean that if we email them at the time of the application with our McGill ID number and ask them to take into account our winter 2020 grades semester they will? So it becomes to the applicant's discretion?

1 hour ago, zackattack881 said:

Does that mean that if we email them at the time of the application with our McGill ID number and ask them to take into account our winter 2020 grades semester they will? So it becomes to the applicant's discretion?

Im not sure what it exactly means. I think for now they are not considering the grades for winter 2020, but they may change their minds. 

12 hours ago, zackattack881 said:

sounds to me like a bit of a deflective answer.

highly highly doubt they'll let applicants pick and choose.

21 hours ago, conu905 said:

I heard back today. They told me at the time of application I can send them an email with my McGill ID number. However, at the moment they will not count the winter 2020 grades for the cGPA. Not sure what to make of this. 

Honestly, it sounds like they've decided to exclude ... for now. Yet leaving wiggle room to modify their decision later, so it's not 100% set in stone yet. Idk it gives me hope.

Maybe they'll see how it affects the majority of applicants and go from there? Or it'll be like how Queens calculates cGPA and last 2-year GPA and uses the higher one *fingers crossed* 

From my understanding the reason to exclude comes from the fact that most students did not have formal final exams for winter 2020,

I don't know if this was the case for all the universities,  i know that at McGill my friends told me the exams they did have in science were open book and they had either 2 or 3 days to complete it, so all 3 of them got a 4.0 gpa for the semester due to the fact that formal exams were removed and they were able to use all their notes and the internet to complete the final exams over the course of the 48/72 hour time window they had to complete the exam. I realize this may not have been the case for all classes. 

I know the decision might be frustrating given the work done earlier in semester but I think in order to level the playing field with other students this is why mcgill took the decision to not count the 2020 grades since almost all exams at mcgill were take home for winter 2020 which allowed students to work in teams to complete them as well and significantly boost their gpa. I know for other universities this may not have been the case  ( ie universities that have proctored exams for example and where exam guidlines were strictly envoked and I think if you were in that situation its unfortunate it really sucks and I would inquire from that university for perhaps a letter saying exams were proctured) but I also understand that because mcgill itself didn't have a software/platform set up to enforce monitoring of final exams for winter 2020 they decided to do this to even the playing field for students who took the course and had a final exam versus a take home exam and were allowed to work on it with friends and use their notes for example. The second reason comes from the fact that students may have been negatively impacted as a result of loss of income and part time jobs, loosing a family member as a result of covid-19, taking care of family memebers impacted by covid 19, financial difficulties due to parents loosing jobs and may not have been able to complete the courses or complete it properly so to try not to penalize these students the 2020 grades were also not counted.