Premed 101 Forums

Western DCS program

Does anyone know anything about the combined dds/phd program at western? Do we get a stipend or tuition relief? Can we go about doing the program like an MD/PhD (i.e. first 2 years in the dds program then 4 years phd then last 2 years of dds).

I'm interested in pursuing research but not much info is on there... it seems that UofT doesn't have a combined program. I wonder if other schools in Canada have the combined program...

thanks in advance! 

@SnowWhite that doesn't make sense to me frankly. Idk why western would set it up like that. 

Wouldn't some rather do a dds and then do a phd afterwards while working as a dentist... At least in this case you would earn some money to pay off your debt as you work on the PhD. 

I was hoping I'd get the first 2 years of exposure in dds and that would catapult me into the PhD with better fundamentals, finish the PhD, then finish the DDS. I'm going to reach out to the program director...

Thanks tho!

"DCS students are expected to complete their PhDs within four years.  Under extenuating circumstances, and following consultation with the PhD supervisor(s), the Chair of the Admissions Committee and Assistant Director (Research) may agree to extend this period by up to two years.

Students in the DCS program will only be admitted to the DDS class if all requirements of the PhD degree (including thesis examination and oral defense) are completed by the end of July of that year.  (SGPS allows a defence to be successful only if the minor corrections to the thesis can be made in less than two weeks.)  This requirement is necessary to allow the Dental Admissions Committee to finalize the list of the incoming class.

Admission into the DDS component of the DCS program is dependent upon successful completion of the PhD degree approved by the Research Committee."

Literally from their website.

5 minutes ago, oscar123 said:

Are you ok? You're literally on an anonymous online forum sweetie - no point starting conflict. It's not that big of a deal. 

Why would I not be okay? 

I'm just playing his game by being annoying but a lot more overtly. He could have replied without being irritating. I don't need his smug 

Just now, KamehameHaaaaa said:

Why would I not be okay? 

I'm just playing his game by being annoying but a lot more overtly. He could have replied without being irritating. I don't need his smug 

I get it honestly, but there's no point. I hope you get more clarity on the program though - the websites can be kinda vague at times 

Not worth my time. I'm more professional than this. But you don't sound ok. If I can get under your skin with 2 sentences, toughen up butter cup! Dental school and patients will eat you up!

But all I copied and pasted was something stating what you wanted is currently not being offered... You can expect a phD stipend of course, but not one during the dental school years - sure you can continue with summer research its $5000/summer fyi. Ask me how I know

8 minutes ago, Zaandrei. said:

Not worth my time. I'm more professional than this. But you don't sound ok. If I can get under your skin with 2 sentences, toughen up butter cup! Dental school and patients will eat you up!

But all I copied and pasted was something stating what you wanted is currently not being offered... You can expect a phD stipend of course, but not one during the dental school years - sure you can continue with summer research its $5000/summer fyi. Ask me how I know; wait you already do since you had to stalk me! :D

Man it's not about being professional or not. It's how you responded to my initial inquiry by being smug. I genuinely appreciated this response a lot more as you gave me valuable info. 

Also deleted the prior comment as it was immature on my side to point you out. Apologies for that. Keep doing you. Deuces. 

13 minutes ago, Zaandrei. said:

Here you go boss; I won't name anyone in particular from the council, but try emailing DART they can give you the inside scoop. These aren't just DDS/phDs though but the council has a couple of those guys/gals.

https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/dentistry/research/dental_academic_research_trainees_dart/index.html

Wow. That helps a lot! Thanks:-)

This convo took a nice turn around aha. Best of luck to you my guy. Maybe we'll cross paths again, but not likely in the Chemistry department...