Premed 101 Forums

How to master the CaRMs interview?

Well, since the Carms is over for now, let's focus on the essentials. So, to me, what is truly frustrating is to get the interview and then you are told you were ok at the interview but you should be a top performer.
So, i am looking for tips on how to master the interview? What are the tips and tricks for giving the best performance?

55 minutes ago, Dr.2020 said:

yes I am an IMG

Do you recommend a certain IMG practice for the interview?

There is no magic bullet for interviews, and like i said, even if you do well in the interview, there is still a strong chance of still not getting a placement as an IMG. It is a lot of luck and very variable. Simple supply/demand, way too much demand, so few spots.

Here are a few links, but you probably already have the general practice questions down. It's about trying to be confident and stand out, but not be too eager and over-the-top. Humble and relatable. No magic.
http://www.med.uottawa.ca/Students/StudentAffairs/assets/documents/Sample_interview_questions.pdf

https://med.uottawa.ca/undergraduate/sites/med.uottawa.ca.undergraduate/files/md2017_-_carms_mock_interview_guide.pdf

40 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

There is no magic bullet for interviews, and like i said, even if you do well in the interview, there is still a strong chance of still not getting a placement as an IMG. It is a lot of luck and very variable. Simple supply/demand, way too much demand, so few spots.

Here are a few links, but you probably already have the general practice questions down. It's about trying to be confident and stand out, but not be too eager and over-the-top. Humble and relatable. No magic.
http://www.med.uottawa.ca/Students/StudentAffairs/assets/documents/Sample_interview_questions.pdf

https://med.uottawa.ca/undergraduate/sites/med.uottawa.ca.undergraduate/files/md2017_-_carms_mock_interview_guide.pdf

Thanks a lot

3 hours ago, Imgrad said:

"IMG" process? More like CaRMS process. 

Just make sure you sell yourself. QE1 and NAC don't matter as much as you think. Look up the programs and sell yourself to what they need. Have good references. It also really depends which med school you went to, and if you have any gaps. PM me for more info @Dr.2020

Sure, more so meant its magnified x100 for IMGs. As a CMG, the odds are still very good for the vast majority of applicants. An IMG can be excellent and still not get anything.  

3 hours ago, Imgrad said:

I wouldn't say strong chance of NOT getting of placement as an IMG. Some overseas schools had match rates of over 60%. It depends on where you went to school. I've noticed your very IMG- non friendly posts and you should watch it. You love commenting on how IMGs have slim chances.

...How are my comments not IMG friendly? I am simply providing realism and context. I am very familiar with the statistics, and colleagues whom are IMGs - the data is mostly available freely on Carms.ca and internal school kept stats. 

Yes, some of the best stats for some school in Ireland and Aussie are 60%. I would say a 40-50% chance of not matching(at best) is by definition "strong chance of not getting a placement". Not to mention the fact that most schools are much lower match rates, and on an individual level you can look at carms for yourself for new grads versus old grads.

My whole point was to let the OP know not to self-doubt and think "I must be doing something wrong, my interview is lacking" - when its very clear that your interview can be GREAT, and you still don't match due to the sheer LUCK involved in the process due to the huge amount of demand for so few spots.  

I think most sensible people, including IMGs who match themselves will mostly agree, the odds of matching in Canada at IMG are very tough. So you do what you can, keep applying and look at other opportunities to hedge your bets. 

I don't think there are many people out there that are IMGs thinking "nice, i have pretty good odds at getting a placement in Canada, this should be okay". 

34 minutes ago, Imgrad said:

Don't throw around generalized stats without knowing anything about the applicant. If anyone needs proof that this dude/dudette discourages IMGs from applying to Canada, just go into this insecure persons recent posts. 

As per your last sentence there, 7 of my IMG friends and I actually did think we would "be okay", and we all matched. So why don't you stop focusing on discouraging IMG's and finish medical school first. You've a lot to learn there bud.

Cheers buddy :) 

Okay, i'm going to assume you're at troll.

Carms.ca is the definitive resource, and you can look at stats yourself. I was not discouraging anyone directly at all, and you have chosen to ignore parts where i was clearly trying to encourage them to not give up, but be realistic and have back-up plans.

I do in fact encourage people to dual apply to Canada AND the US. Especially if you've already failed to match to Canada 1-2 times.  Things don't magically get easier with CaRMs. 

And that is nice that you and 7 of your IMG friends matched. There's alot more than 7 that didn't.  

http://carms.ca/pdfs/2020-carms-forum.pdf

40% of current year graduates (63 people) IMGs did not match, and 76% of prior year graduates (820 people) in R1.

Don't let confirmation bias get to your head, if you indeed did actually match.  Plenty of excellent IMGs don't match in CaRMS, and some match after 3-4 attempts.   

My sole purpose is to encourage people to realize that CaRMS is a lottery for IMGs, and to not beat yourself up if you don't match, because its clear the odds are stacked against you. 

EDIT: As for recent posts, yes, please do. Yours clearly shows on one post you "got many IM and FM interviews" and then post later that "only got 1 interview". So troll confirmed :) 

Just now, Imgrad said:

Oh so you automatically know any IMGs chances without even knowing anything about their application? It seems like you do, because you make it seem very grim for all of us. If anyone wants to see just how much this person generalizes, again, just go look in their recent posts. 

No, not a troll. I said I had one interview in first iteration and four in second iteration. You do know theres 2 rounds right? I guess you've got a long way to go. I assure you I'm not a troll. I can show you a screenshot of my match if you'd like to hang that on your wall for something to look forward to.

CaRMS for IMGs is not a lottery. It's a lot of hard work. Not luck. 

Well, you're assuming that applicants can gauge how they are in relation to the pool. You're also assuming that somehow there are alot of poor applicants, because you think that you're automatically better etc. 

"CaRMS for IMGs is not a lottery. It's a lot of hard work. Not luck. "

Yes, for sure, A LOT of hard-work 100% agreed, but many more people than spots available put in the hard work too, so yes it for sure a lot of luck. I doubt a majority of those who don't match, aren't also putting in hard work ha.  Even for CMGs to get certain residencies and locations is alot of luck.

Anyways, sorry you feel that way, and best of luck :) 

15 minutes ago, Imgrad said:

If someone told me they murdered the MCCQE1 and NAC, yeah I would say they have pretty great chances. If they have electives in Canada, and Canadian reference letters then I would say they have pretty great chances. You're just spitting out these blanket statements - "you're an IMG? apply to US, you gotta better chances there"...which you actually did say in a post. Don't make me find it. I guess you find idiots everywhere. Even med school. Damn. 

If someone scores in the 90th percentile for an exam, you can kind of assume that they've done well, and there are worse or "poor applicants" because thats what a percentile is haha. 

Christ almighty. Good luck finishing medical school. Seriously wish you the best.

you are a terrible person. There are many times that you could have been checked for your ignorance and arrogance but John was being polite to you even when you are being extremely vile. That pettiness is expected from a failure who had to go to Australia after being rejected from medical school in Canada lmao. PS finding out who you are (incoming Sask IM IMG resident from Australia) is not hard to find...

2 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

you are a terrible person. There are many times that you could have been checked for your ignorance and arrogance but John was being polite to you even when you are being extremely vile. That pettiness is expected from a failure who had to go to Australia after being rejected from medical school in Canada lmao. PS finding out who you are (Sask IM IMG resident from Australia) is not hard to find...

You're a fool for calling this person a failure. Maybe he chose to go to Australia instead of applying for MANY cycles like MOST of my friends who went to Canadian medical schools, or who had to take the MCAT multiple times. I hope you're not a doctor, this level of pessimism speaks volumes about you. 

2 minutes ago, happyuser said:

You're a fool for calling this person a failure. Maybe he chose to go to Australia instead of applying for MANY cycles like MOST of my friends who went to Canadian medical schools, or who had to take the MCAT multiple times. I hope you're not a doctor, this level of pessimism speaks volumes about you. 

when someone is constantly name-calling and belittling a senior member of this forum who was politely stating facts and giving advice....someone needs to step up and check them. It's cute you made an account to post this lol 

1 minute ago, YesIcan55 said:

when someone is constantly name-calling and belittling a senior member of this forum who was politely stating facts and giving advice....someone needs to step up and check them. It's cute you made an account to post this lol 

Nope I actually wanted to reach one of the users on here, creeper.

It's weirdos like YOU who add to a very negative work environment. Residency and life post-residency is only made worse by the people some of us have to work with.  If this is how you are online, I can't imagine how tragic it is to work with or be around you. Smh.

ok..............

everyone cool it.  

(sigh - I am up to my eyeballs in covid-19 stuff, it would be nice we didn't have forum flame wars right now.) 

I will clean this thread up tomorrow. For now it is locked - no personal attacks people. 

Edited by rmorelan