Premed 101 Forums

Updated admission requirements

Dal updated their website regarding who may be eligible/not eligible to apply. 

“Successful applicants who are enrolled in an undergraduate program in progress at the time of application, and have submitted this degree for eligibility and GPA calculation, will receive an admission offer which is CONDITIONAL upon the successful completion of their undergraduate program by Jul 1st of the year of entry into the medical program (ie prior to the start of the medical program).”

7 minutes ago, Pizza123 said:

Yeah exactly! It seems that Dal has created a loophole for itself to not get blamed for not doing a thorough job of checking transcripts and now is letting these people go by! 

This is not correct 

Dal checks transcripts. This situation isn’t hard to understand. 

If you have an undergrad degree and then went into pharmacy, you are eligible to apply because you already did an undergrad degree and submitted that for GPA calculation 

If you started a business degree and in your second year transferred into pharmacy, and therefore were in first year pharmacy, you would NOT be allowed to be accepted into Dal med in this scenario because you did not complete an undergrad. 

The above two scenarios are different. 

I cannot stress enough that Dal checks transcripts. 

1 minute ago, multitry said:

This is not correct 

Dal checks transcripts. This situation isn’t hard to understand. 

If you have an undergrad degree and then went into pharmacy, you are eligible to apply because you already did an undergrad degree and submitted that for GPA calculation 

If you started a business degree and in your second year transferred into pharmacy, and therefore were in first year pharmacy, you would NOT be allowed to be accepted 

The above two scenarios are different. 

Dal checks transcripts. 

So what you are saying is I don't have to submit all my degrees  for consideration. Just seems very bizarre that Dal would be ok with a 1st year pharmacy student but not a 2nd.

Just now, mermaidblue said:

So what you are saying is I don't have to submit all my degrees  for consideration. Just seems very bizarre that Dal would be ok with a 1st year pharmacy student but not a 2nd.

No that’s not what I’m saying. It is not a loop hole. 

Dal is okay with accepting any year pharmacy student as long as they already a fully completely undergrad degree that they submitted for GPA calculation. 

1 minute ago, mermaidblue said:

How could they submit their pharmacy degree grades if they hadn’t started the program by the time applications are due? Yes that is correct, it doesn’t seem they’d be ok with a second year pharmacy student because that first year grade would be part of gpa calculation.

Just now, multitry said:

No that’s not what I’m saying. It is not a loop hole. 

Dal is okay with accepting any year pharmacy student as long as they already a fully completely undergrad degree that they submitted for GPA calculation. 

Not sure that’s true as for upper year pharmacy students their gpa would be included in calculation as dal looks at most recent years gpa.

Apparently you can “SELECT” the undergrad you use in your GPA calculation, so if you already have a BSc and start pharmacy (or whatever the heck else) they don’t even need those grades for your GPA calculation if you choose to omit it. This seems bizarre to me, say you were in law school (already with a degree), you could just say “oh just use my first undergrad in my GPA calculation! Ignore law!”. And no, they won’t look at your most decent years if you’re starting a new degree, they can completely omit the new in-progress degree from their GPA calculation if they want. I got this info straight from the assistant Dean. 

Just now, yesmedman said:

No they will look at most decent years like it says on their website. Multitry is wrong.

I’m not wrong. They will look at the most recent years of the completed and submitted bachelor degree that was submitted for GPA assessment. You aren’t reading this properly. 

Email admissions for yourself and they will say the exact same thing. 

I mean, the wording is weird, it could imply that if you don't submit grades it doesn't count towards the criteria, and therefore would be exempt.

It just seems weird that they would basically so heavily support professional degree students in this way, as based on the graduate studies, masters students cant do this. Why are students treated so differently for a pretty arbitrary reason.

lol, why is there so much legalese in interpreting an admission policy, its kind of dumb.

3 minutes ago, spense said:

I mean, the wording is weird, it could imply that if you don't submit grades it doesn't count towards the criteria, and therefore would be exempt.

It just seems weird that they would basically so heavily support professional degree students in this way, as based on the graduate studies, masters students cant do this. Why are students treated so differently for a pretty arbitrary reason.

lol, why is there so much legalese in interpreting an admission policy, its kind of dumb.

Exactly! They just added this second part today “and have submitted this degree for eligibility and GPA calculation“ so that they can have a loophole for themselves. Wheras they don’t have any grad students in this situation this year so they don’t need to tweak their policies. 

6 minutes ago, Pizza123 said:

Exactly! They just added this second part today “and have submitted this degree for eligibility and GPA calculation“ so that they can have a loophole for themselves. Wheras they don’t have any grad students in this situation this year so they don’t need to tweak their policies. 

Lol this isn’t true at all, they’ve always had that part there somewhere on the website whether in GPA calculation or degree assessment calculation. I know for a fact it was there last year 

if you feel strongly about it email admissions and the assistant dean and they will give you the proper response. 

18 minutes ago, multitry said:

I’m not wrong. They will look at the most recent years of the completed and submitted bachelor degree that was submitted for GPA assessment. You aren’t reading this properly. 

Email admissions for yourself and they will say the exact same thing. 

No one is arguing with you which degree you can submit for gpa calculation. You are right that for gpa calculation you ultimately need one degree or grad students two. However Dalhousie Med application asks you to state what degrees you have IN PROGRESS and which one have finished even though you might not use all do those degree for gpa calculation. The fact they added this today “and have submitted this degree for eligibility and GPA calculation” means they tweaked their policy so that if you have an undergrad degree that is not being calculated for Gpa calculation they can be welcome into a class of 2024. Wheras 2 days ago their site specifically said that any undergrad degrees in progress must be done! Does that make sense lol?