Premed 101 Forums

Discussions - Final Decisions 2020

5 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

lol no....1/8 = 12.5%. Second of all, 3 males and 24 females is not possible since that is 27 total OOP/162 students = 16.7% OOP, and the absolute max is 15% OOP. Therefore, it must be 2 males, and 16 females OOP = 18 total OOP / 162 total students = 11.1% of the last class was OOP.

1/8 : 7/8 = 1 male : 7 females (per 8 students)... 

On 4/30/2020 at 5:09 PM, YesIcan55 said:

right right, my bad so 24 students in the class OOP. 76 OOP were interviewed. What we don't know is how many OOP declined the offer. 

Total Acceptances = IP acceptances + OOP acceptances

IP acceptances = (IP applicants)(IP success rate)

OOP acceptances = ( OOP applicants)(OOP success rate)

220 = IP acceptances +  OOP acceptances

220 = (IP applicants)(IP success rate) + (OOP applicants)(OOP success rate)

220 = (IP applicants)(0.202) + (OOP applicants)(0.073)

220 = (IP applicants)(0.202) + ((Total applicants - IP applicants)(0.073))

220 = (IP applicants)(0.202) + ((1584 - IP applicants)(0.073))

IP applicants = 809.05 = 809

OOP applicants = 1584 - 809 = 775

OOP acceptances = (775)(0.073)= 56

Therefore, 56 OOP acceptances out of 76 OOP interviews.

https://afmc.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/2020_admission-requirements_EN.pdf

Just now, YesIcan55 said:

Based on your numbers you're telling me that 24 OOP were initially accepted....and since you're saying a final number of 59 OOP were accepted....so ALL 24 OOP initially rejected the offer and then an additional 35 OOP were accepted..?

Nope, I'm not necessarily saying that all 24OOP initially rejected the offer. But at least some of them did, and some of the WL acceptances must have rejected their offers as well. If my math is wrong I would be happy to have it corrected.

1 minute ago, YesIcan55 said:

Oh I see, as in people who were next up on the OOP WL rejected a possible offer and it went to the next person in line. Would they even count that as an offer?

I believe so. The AFMC document defines success rate as: "Percentage of applicants who received at least one offer of admission whether subsequently registered, declined or deferred."

Wow, thanks for all the number crunching--in this context, the stats for OOP applicants seem much more optimistic!

The one thing I'm thinking though, is that if 59/76 interviewed OOP applicants ultimately received an offer, they must have sent out hardly any rejections to OOP applicants on decision day. Maybe 10 or 12 at very most; most OOPs would have gotten waitlisted. I definitely remember seeing a few OOP rejections on last year's thread, but I haven't checked if the numbers line up...

17 minutes ago, Rusty Verdigris said:

Wow, thanks for all the number crunching--in this context, the stats for OOP applicants seem much more optimistic!

The one thing I'm thinking though, is that if 59/76 interviewed OOP applicants ultimately received an offer, they must have sent out hardly any rejections to OOP applicants on decision day. Maybe 10 or 12 at very most; most OOPs would have gotten waitlisted. I definitely remember seeing a few OOP rejections on last year's thread, but I haven't checked if the numbers line up...

It looks like last year, out of the 7 OOP posts: 2 were regrets, 2 were WL turned into acceptances, and 3 were acceptances. Out of the straight acceptances, 2 said they would be declining and the third said they were choosing between three schools.

I have a feeling decisions will come out on Monday May 4th. Last year they released them on May 13th but that seemed to have been an odd year. The 4 years prior (2018,2017,2016,2015) decisions came out on the first Monday of May the latest.