Premed 101 Forums

Should I go back to undergrad or do a second undergrad?

Hi everyone, 

I have been getting different opinions from different people. Before I make a final decision, I wanna hear what you think. 

I am an IP applicant. I have completed my undergrad in 2016, then grad school in 2018. My undergrad grades suck. My AGPA converts to about 86.4% at UBC (3.72/4 at McGill). I did experience some family issues that affected my grades (which I will not get into the details) so I might write a letter. I have about 2000h of volunteering, publications, good references and some unique experiences in my opinion. (this year is going to be my first application)

I know my grades are holding me back however I am not sure if going back to undergrad is the best option for me. My friend (who is a medical student) recently told me that it is almost impossible for me to get interviews/accepted with my current GPA. This really made me rethink if I am competitive at all. However looking at the published stats on the UBC website, I believe that I am not that far below the entering average of 88.62?  Dear friends, I would really appreciate if someone could provide me some insight, as I really wanna avoid going back to undergrad unless I absolutely have to. 

Thank you all in advance. 

What’s your MCAT? 

Your grades are fine for an IP applicant, as long as you write your NAQ entries well. Your friend (who is a medical student) sounds like a Negative Nancy and should be more supportive. You need to get rid of toxic people in your life before you’re ready to be a medical student (it’s on the UBC website under Requirements for Entry)

21 minutes ago, NothingButNetters said:

What’s your MCAT? 

Your grades are fine for an IP applicant, as long as you write your NAQ entries well. Your friend (who is a medical student) sounds like a Negative Nancy and should be more supportive. You need to get rid of toxic people in your life before you’re ready to be a medical student (it’s on the UBC website under Requirements for Entry)

Thank you for your kind words. Honestly I have been so upset for the whole week.

I got 512 last year (but 124 in CARS), so I am planning to rewrite this summer to hopefully improve my CARS. 

18 minutes ago, HugeEuge said:

86% is definitely not too low to get an interview as an in province applicant. People get interviews and get accepted every year with averages in the low 80s. Keep up hope and know you have a shot!

Thank you so much! 

Hey!

I currently have a slightly lower AGPA of 83.5 at UBC and have interviewed twice! I just really felt the pressure to improve my NAQ section writing quality and entries. I have really focused on research and packing my resume full of both publications and extra volunteer. I’ve got 300+h volunteering, 1 first author pub, 2 other pubs, 10+ posters, some international sport competitions, and also a letter of explanation for why I had one very bad UG year. Just spend some time getting more experience and have some help writing your entries!

Also, I’ve been taking some extra online courses to keep myself learning and improving my GPA while still applying.

I also felt the same about my GPA, but I’m really hoping that a great NAQ can overcome my GPA and get me that sweet acceptance this year.

Don't give up- You got this!

I want to thank everyone that commented here or PMed me for being so kind and supportive. This really means a lot to me.  I will work hard on my MCAT CARS, and carefully word my NAQ entries but will not go back to undergrad. Thank you!! 

On 4/22/2020 at 11:49 PM, Hopefulm said:

Thank you for your kind words. Honestly I have been so upset for the whole week.

I got 512 last year (but 124 in CARS), so I am planning to rewrite this summer to hopefully improve my CARS. 

I had a lower GPA and also a 124 in CARS and was still interviewed/accepted. Trying to write the MCAT this summer with COVID-19 precautions may not be easy, so I hope you still try to apply with your current stats (remember, UBC just needs minimums (124 in each section) to give you an interview, after that it’s up to you to wow them). Hopefully this can be one less thing causing any anxieties so you can move forward in drafting those NAQ sections.

There are great videos on YouTube about writing premed entries (even for AMCAS). UBC’s entries per section don’t really change, so maybe start now if you have the time figuring out what activities/hours fit under the different sections (Leadership, Service Ethic, Capacity to work with others, etc)