Premed 101 Forums

Countdown to May 12th

6 minutes ago, mdhopeful26 said:

Ah oh no! You should definitely still be very proud! I am waitlisted, so we'll see how that pans out...more waiting

Wishing you all the best!! I hope you get in! 

Im curious, do they tell you a rank in the wait list or is it a mystery? 

From their "Admission Selection Process" website, there is a (new?) section that says:

"Unsuccessful applicants, and in particular those who were placed on the waitlist, may submit a request to schedule a 30-minute appointment with an Admissions Officer to discuss how an application is evaluated."

Does that mean we can get feedback on an unsuccessful application? It would be great to know whether it's my ECs, interview, reference letters, context score or a combination of the above that's tanking me. 

Or does this just mean that someone can go into further detail on how they select applicants in general, as what's outlined on the webpage?

Curious to know!

1 hour ago, ruralmed said:

From their "Admission Selection Process" website, there is a (new?) section that says:

"Unsuccessful applicants, and in particular those who were placed on the waitlist, may submit a request to schedule a 30-minute appointment with an Admissions Officer to discuss how an application is evaluated."

Does that mean we can get feedback on an unsuccessful application? It would be great to know whether it's my ECs, interview, reference letters, context score or a combination of the above that's tanking me. 

Or does this just mean that someone can go into further detail on how they select applicants in general, as what's outlined on the webpage?

Curious to know!

That's what it seems like to me! Maybe more of a personal review of your application. I doubt they would tell you anything unpublished, but maybe will provide insight on how to improve

Time stamp: 7:30 am (May 12)

Decision: Accepted!

GPA: 4.0

Context: Grew up and studied in Northern Ontario.

EC's: Research heavy. Long-term commitments in local hospital, sports, community. 

Year: 4th year UG

I will likely be declining for another school's offer. Hopefully this helps someone on the waitlist! Good luck to all on waitlist and those reapplying next year!

Time stamp: 9am ish

GPA: 3.9

Context: Grew up in 2 rural northern towns, <2k people. University in a big southern city

EC's: Health & hospital volunteering, sports, Ontario parks, campus associations, hunting & fishing

Previous applications: 0

I will be accepting, and am so excited to meet everyone in the fall! Good luck to everyone else reapplying, hope to see you on campus next year! west is best ;) 

On 4/26/2020 at 2:38 AM, Plastics96 said:

It seems like time is moving slower and slower as we approach the date lol

On 5/11/2020 at 5:58 PM, teapot said:

yes! i wonder if anything will show up at midnight or if it's better to wait until tomorrow morning

How did things turn out for you guys? Hopefully good? If you are waitlisted, I started a new thread under NOSM for chatter :)

3 hours ago, NorthDoc said:

Context: Grew up in 2 rural northern towns, <2k people. University in a big southern city

EC's: Health & hospital volunteering, sports, Ontario parks, campus associations, hunting & fishing

I will be accepting, and am so excited to meet everyone in the fall! Good luck to everyone else reapplying, hope to see you on campus next year! west is best ;)

Congratulations!

4 hours ago, CyclotronGuy said:

EC's: Research heavy. Long-term commitments in local hospital, sports, community. 

I will likely be declining for another school's offer. Hopefully this helps someone on the waitlist! Good luck to all on waitlist and those reapplying next year!

Congratulations! And thank you for letting us waitlisters know that you will likely be declining! Helps the stress levels. Best of luck :)

5 hours ago, CyclotronGuy said:

3 hours ago, NorthDoc said:

Either of you also have a Mac acceptance/waitlist?

14 minutes ago, Plastics96 said:

Thank you. It’s my dream, so I’ll apply until I get in... hopefully next year! 

It does happen, few of us on here that it happened to. And you’re getting the interviews, so now it’s about practice. I was rejected after my first interview, prepped hard the following year, got off the waitlist right after initial acceptances were due. All about GOOD practice, genuineness, thoughtfulness, you can do it.

just don’t let it take over your life. There will be things you lose in this path. Make sure your life is moving forward no matter what, medicine is not the be all end all.

4 hours ago, IMislove said:

It does happen, few of us on here that it happened to. And you’re getting the interviews, so now it’s about practice. I was rejected after my first interview, prepped hard the following year, got off the waitlist right after initial acceptances were due. All about GOOD practice, genuineness, thoughtfulness, you can do it.

just don’t let it take over your life. There will be things you lose in this path. Make sure your life is moving forward no matter what, medicine is not the be all end all.

Oh believe me, I’ve practiced... I’ve worked with a professional interview coach, read several books, practiced with friends and family, video taped and voice recorded myself, followed advice from those who were accepted... you name it, I’ve done it. I began my interview prep for this cycle in August... I really don’t know what I’m doing wrong. 

This process hasn’t taken over my life, but I’ve known that I wanted to be a doctor since I was literally 2 years old. It’s all I’ve ever wanted. Never thought it would be this difficult to get accepted honestly. But like I said, I’ll keep applying till I get in... It’s just very discouraging. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 12:47 PM, NorthDoc said:

I'm wondering what small town you are from!! I too am from a small rural Northern Ontario town :) 

On 5/12/2020 at 5:38 AM, ruralmed said:

Time stamp : 8:30

Decision: Regrets 

GPA: 3.93

Context: rural upbringing but not in northern Ontario, completed undergrad in a major city

EC: quite a bit of work with Indigenous communities, a lot of volunteering in various things, no research 

what town did you grow up in rurally? I'm wondering because I am from a rural town but not northern