Premed 101 Forums

Do you have to complete your masters to enroll?

Hello, 

Hope you are all well and safe. 

Does anyone know if you get accepted while you're enrolled in a masters, do you have to complete the masters to enroll into MDCM or can you safely drop it if you weren't able to complete it? Anyone know of someone who was able to drop out of their grad studies and enroll into MDCM without any issues?

59 minutes ago, premedubc101 said:

Hello, 

Does anyone know if you get accepted while you're enrolled in a masters, do you have to complete the masters to enroll into MDCM or can you safely drop it if you weren't able to complete it? Anyone know of someone who was able to drop out of their grad studies and enroll into MDCM without any issues?

You don't have to finish your grad degree if you were admitted

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 3:14 PM, Elgar said:

You don't have to finish your grad degree if you were admitted

Hi Elgar. Also in a similar situation. Are you certain that we don't have to complete the masters? I called admissions but it went to voice mail. Guess I will email.

Hi,

Admissions would allow you to defer your admission to finish your masters and start the MD CM program the next year. Finishing your masters can be beneficial, and many people choose to finish it before coming to medical school, as it will make you more competitive for residency programs, plus you will get your masters degree engraved on your white coat.

On 4/26/2020 at 2:13 PM, premedubc101 said:

Hello, 

Hi,

Admissions would allow you to defer your admission to finish your masters and start the MD CM program the next year. Finishing your masters can be beneficial, and many people choose to finish it before coming to medical school, as it will make you more competitive for residency programs, plus you will get your masters degree engraved on your white coat.

On 5/10/2020 at 8:52 AM, guest123 said:

plus you will get your masters degree engraved on your white coat.

Why does that information gets me overly excited? I want my MSc to be on my white coat so bad HAHAHA
I still don't think that should be anyone's main reason to delay though, it just makes me a bit less miserable about the fact that I missed the application deadline for McGill last year :rolleyes: (yeah I know, that's stupid as hell). At least I finished my masters since then and I'll get recognition for it, yay!

On 4/26/2020 at 2:13 PM, premedubc101 said:

Hello, 

If you're doing a masters in another university, you can stay registered full-time or part-time (if you stay full time you can keep your scholarship if you have one), and finish it during your free time and/or during the first summer and/or during a sabbatical year, if needed. That's an option, and having it completed during your MD will give you a considerable advantage for the CaRMS. But if you don't care about you masters and you want to be a family doctor anyway... well yes, you can drop it.

Very similar recent thread:

Copy pasting my reply there to here:

Little note about the registration in 2 degrees at same at same university issue:

I've asked in previous years about this to admissions and current McGill med students because I was looking to apply during my PhD but was wondering if I would be forced to defer a year in case I was accepted (I wanted to complete the PhD but I also wanted to start med training asap). When I asked admissions officers, I got inconsistent answers depending on who I asked lol but someone did end up telling me that it was possible to finish the grad degree concurrently. This was also confirmed when I asked students and they told me stories of McGill grad students who weren't quite yet finished with their grad degree when their medical training (at McGill) started and they were allowed to finish their graduate research at the same time. Granted, in most of these cases, they were close to completing (ex: have heard of students writing thesis and/or doing PhD defense during MS1-MS2).

Now I didn't inquire on this issue again in the last application cycle because I was planning to finish soon, so I don't know if they had a change in policy so don't take my word for it and confirm with admissions.

To the OP:

The disclaimer I just said above also applies here, ask admissions to confirm. Contrary to most other med faculties in Canada, McGill med does not require you to finish your grad degree before matriculating...although they obviously don't encourage that practice (pretty sure I read somewhere on their website that they expect that grad students only apply in the final year of their program or something).  But I definitely know of at least 1 student who dropped his grad degree when starting McGill med.