Premed 101 Forums

New 2019 Prereqs

Hi,

I saw that, recently, University of Ottawa Med School has changed the list of course requirements, which now lists the following:

• 6 units in humanities /Social Sciences
  • 6 units in Biology or Physiology
  • 3 units in Organic Chemistry
  • 3 units in Chemistry
  • 3 units in Biochemistry
  • 3 units in Statistics

My question is: is there a list of courses that would satisfy each prerequisite? I am a UofT student, entering now second year, and I have taken Intro into Organic Chemistry I CHM136H1 and was wondering if that would satisfy the requirement of (3 units in Organic Chemistry).

I was also wondering if a course such as SOC202H1: Introduction to Quantitative Methods in Sociology would qualify for the 3 units of Statistics.

Also, would you be allowed to PASS/FAIL any of the course requirements, or you must obtain an actual grade in all of them?

Thanks!

I think they can be quite accommodating with their requirement. I did a stats course in biomedical application and that was accepted. Intro to Orgo I is definitely good enough - I applied this year having completed just that as well.

I do believe you need to have it graded at a minimum of 70% or a B+ in order to satisfy the prerequisite requirement. But with all this COVID going on, there is speculation that they might allow some flexibility with that. But the Faculty hasn't made any official announcement yet though.

3 minutes ago, DrOtter said:

I think they can be quite accommodating with their requirement. I did a stats course in biomedical application and that was accepted. Intro to Orgo I is definitely good enough - I applied this year having completed just that as well.

I do believe you need to have it graded at a minimum of 70% or a B+ in order to satisfy the prerequisite requirement. But with all this COVID going on, there is speculation that they might allow some flexibility with that. But the Faculty hasn't made any official announcement yet though.

Hi, did you get an interview with them? How do you know it was accepted? Appreciate it and many thanks!

You can also email the med school if you're unsure about a prereq- I did this when I was applying and they got back to me quickly! I'm sure your courses are fine but better safe than sorry imo- you don't want to lose your shot at an interview over something like this

Thanks Psych, I sure will!

I have another question: what exactly are considered to be "units"? I am asking this because I am UofT student, and I am more used to FCEs, which are "full course equivalents". Would it be that 6 units = 1 FCE?

Many thanks!

4 minutes ago, dtor3 said:

Thanks Psych, I sure will!

I have another question: what exactly are considered to be "units"? I am asking this because I am UofT student, and I am more used to FCEs, which are "full course equivalents". Would it be that 6 units = 1 FCE?

Many thanks!

Yes! 6 units = 1 FCE at UofT