Premed 101 Forums

Sample Successful Med Application?

This isn't directed specifically at you, more broadly at the copycat philosophy, what use is knowing someone else's experiences/hours/etc when they're themselves and you are you? Getting into Medicine isn't formulaic to the point where you can tread in someone else's footsteps. You do you, and not anyone else. It's helpful to know what others do for inspiration for yourself, but a complete sketch isn't a golden ticket. You have no way of knowing if the sketch was actually the weakest thing in their application, or if the evaluators hated the descriptions but saw past it. Even if copying someone got you to the interview, how are you going to be able to demonstrate any sort of passion for those experiences? As much as interviews are acting tryouts, there are limits to how far most people can go. 

People sometimes seem to act as if its the wording that makes all the difference when I happen to think its the experiences themselves that matter more. The people evaluating sketches are not dumb, I'm sure they can see through even the most flowery sketch description. 

On a up note, I'm fine sharing a description from my (unsuccessful for OOP, interview worthy for IP, unfortunately I'm the former...) application since it would have worked if I were IP and ECs are weighted only/more pre interview at many schools. Just PM so there's some privacy.

Without going into specifics, describe what you did in terms of numbers, responsibility, role, and try to match parts of your experiences to buzzwords on their website/CANMEDS. 

3 hours ago, MedicineLCS said:

This isn't directed specifically at you, more broadly at the copycat philosophy, what use is knowing someone else's experiences/hours/etc when they're themselves and you are you? Getting into Medicine isn't formulaic to the point where you can tread in someone else's footsteps. You do you, and not anyone else. It's helpful to know what others do for inspiration for yourself, but a complete sketch isn't a golden ticket. You have no way of knowing if the sketch was actually the weakest thing in their application, or if the evaluators hated the descriptions but saw past it. Even if copying someone got you to the interview, how are you going to be able to demonstrate any sort of passion for those experiences? As much as interviews are acting tryouts, there are limits to how far most people can go. 

People sometimes seem to act as if its the wording that makes all the difference when I happen to think its the experiences themselves that matter more. The people evaluating sketches are not dumb, I'm sure they can see through even the most flowery sketch description. 

On a up note, I'm fine sharing a description from my (unsuccessful for OOP, interview worthy for IP, unfortunately I'm the former...) application since it would have worked if I were IP and ECs are weighted only/more pre interview at many schools. Just PM so there's some privacy.

Without going into specifics, describe what you did in terms of numbers, responsibility, role, and try to match parts of your experiences to buzzwords on their website/CANMEDS. 

Perfectly mimicking a successful applicant's application should in theory guarantee admission, barring variation in competition, unless perhaps you're insinuating that the admission process is non-standardized and entirely subjective?

The OP is living in the realm of science fiction, and with respect to mimicking, will he mimick our treatment for patients should he become a physician?

This is the first time ever such a request has been made and no responsible applicant would ever disclose in public one’s application details as a guide for others. If you are unable to be authentic, using your own intellect, experiences, creativity, individuality, then you have absolutely no chance to over+one this hurdle! We are here to support you, to give you valuable help or tips but not to allow you to copy our  work product as if it were yours. 

6 hours ago, Limus said:

Perfectly mimicking a successful applicant's application should in theory guarantee admission, barring variation in competition, unless perhaps you're insinuating that the admission process is non-standardized and entirely subjective?

Theoretically I suppose, but of course the issue would be the interview as MedicineLCS said. As far as that goes, I know people who only added to their application from one year to the next and didn't receive an interview the 2nd year, and I know people who added nothing but received the interview the 2nd year. There definitely is some amount of subjectivity in the process.

8 hours ago, Limus said:

unless perhaps you're insinuating that the admission process is non-standardized and entirely subjective?

"Past performance is no guarantee of future results"  " non-standardized and entirely subjective". There's room in between extremes. 

Schools try to convert subjective experiences into numbers/percentiles using standards of some sort, but there is so much variability that this is going to be difficult. As already mentioned, people can go from being waitlisted one year, to being rejected pre-interview the next, with no changes. Call it luck, call it providence, there's definitely some aspect of chance involved every cycle. For one, the applicant pool changes each year, and many (if not all) schools standardize scores against the pool. Another issue is human subjectivity. Perhaps your sketch was read by someone who has very similar experiences and felt that since they consider themselves a good physician/medical student, the person presented on the sketch would be too, and scored accordingly? Maybe the next year a different evaluator thinks differently? Look to how people's scores have fluctuated at schools that release "numbers" over the years, with identical activities, such as at the UofC. Finally, if you define "successful" as an offer, instead of an interview, you have the massive black box of interview skills. It's certainly possible someone with a perfect sketch could have a bad day, be tired, or simply not have developed interviewing skills. As standardized as schools try to make their processes, the process has an inherent amount of randomness. 

There are so many unknown variables that complicate copying anyone. For one, the first 16, 17, 18 years of anyone's life definitely have an impact on their aptitude for activities and interests. A sketch that starts later in life misses formative experiences that could have profoundly shaped someone/slotted them into certain pathways. What if the "successful" sketch includes competitive sports, teaching little kids, or some activity you profoundly dislike? If listening to interview meet & greets with current medical students has shown me anything, it's that there are many paths to Medicine. The other missing portion is how the time management and work capacity. Some people are in easier programs and can spend 20-30 hours a week on activities outside schoolwork and do just fine. Everyone's balance in life is slightly different, and trying to match someone else's hours, experiences, time management, and work capacity, is a recipe for disaster. 

11 hours ago, Limus said:

No it would not, as the interview is a large component. 

The worst decisions I've ever taken occurred when I followed someone else's advice/suggestions too closely, even suspending my own doubts, - no matter how well-meaning, close, successful the other person may be.

otoh, the best decisions, came when I followed my own interests/passions even if unsuccessful b/c I felt much more satisfied with the process and outcomes, knowing that I'd truly tried to pursue my own path  - it’s key to “own” what you do take charge from day one.

It's really important to develop and understand your own preferences, interests, and strengths and to go from there while remaining open minded to helpful suggestions.  Trying to copy someone else's application is an extreme version of this kind of approach and not likely to succeed for many reasons - individual factors/preferences, chance/randomness of the experience/evaluator, etc..   

OTOH - looking at a previous invite/regrets UBC thread can give you an idea of what types of activities some applicants have done, if you really don't know.