Premed 101 Forums

Western Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected 2019-2020

2 hours ago, 5th time the charm said:

Wonderful to hear!!! Long journey for you. Way to go !! :)  I have wondered how its been going for you down there and even more so since COVID hit. We are doing a lot of telemedicine here in Ontario. I am sure you have heard about the hospital/clinic situations. Next week the government has started to open up the elective surgeries and some clinics will start to see how they can open but most important will be PPE and patient/staff safety. 

Ha - yes it is - which is why it is particular fun this year watching all the incoming class about to start the journey I began when I got accepted 11(!) years ago :)

This really is a marathon in the end. They next step will be one of the more challenging ones but hopefully just as rewarding. 

Result: Accepted (London)

Timestamp:  Midnight (student portal)

2 yr GPA: 3.99

MCAT: (130/129/131) = 390/396 

Interview: In-person. Felt a lot better than my Toronto one immediately after (i really like the panel format), but started overthinking the following months and had a lot of regrets. Main regret was not giving enough of my "personal story" during questions resembling 'tell me about yourself'. Definitely felt like a waitlist was coming, but luckily i think my pre-interview stance was very strong given my gpa and MCAT and i think that's what carried me over.

Currently DO NOT plan on accepting this offer as I'm more interested in Queens, Mac and Toronto because of proximity to my hometown. Unfortunate though, because Schulich gave me amazing vibes. No doubt that this is an amazing school. :) 

Geography: IP, non-SWOMEN

20 minutes ago, supadupafly said:

Result: Accepted (London)

2 yr GPA: 3.99

MCAT: (130/129/131) = 390/396 

Interview: In-person. Felt a lot better than my Toronto one immediately after (i really like the panel format), but started overthinking the following months and had a lot of regrets. Main regret was not giving enough of my "personal story" during questions resembling 'tell me about yourself'. Definitely felt like a waitlist was coming, but luckily i think my pre-interview stance was very strong given my gpa and MCAT and i think that's what carried me over.

Currently DO NOT plan on accepting this offer as I'm more interested in Queens, Mac and Toronto because of proximity to my hometown. Unfortunate though, because Schulich gave me amazing vibes. No doubt that this is an amazing school. :) 

Wow congratulations on all your offers. Your stats are incredible. Let us know what offer you end up accepting

Result: Accepted (Unspecified)

2 yr GPA: 3.96

MCAT: (127/127/129) = 383 

Interview: In-person. Felt really confident coming out, interviewers were really warm the entire time and often said things like "great, you answered the next part of the question already". Thought the questions were very straight forward and used personal examples to answer each. Really liked the pre-interview welcome. 

Have declined this offer - good luck to people on the waitlist!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Result: Accepted off the HWL to Windsor

Timestamp: May 29th, 11:30 Am

2-year GPA: 3.87

MCAT: 128/132/130

Interview: Online- I did not practice as much as I should have, but based on some good advice I received, tried to relate each answer to how I’m going to become a good doctor/ medical student. Felt like I bonded well with the panel, even though half of my responses felt like rambling to myself and I totally missed a hint that a panel member dropped at some point! :lol:

Year: finished B.A.

Geography: OOP

Can’t believe that after so many years of undergrad, repeating courses, making up for mistakes, changing schools, and feeling like my dream was sooo out of reach, I’m finally here...! 
Big thank you to everyone who answered my questions and gave encouraging words on this forum! I just want to say no matter where you start from, dedication and hope is going to carry you where you want to be.

Here’s to hoping the rest of the way works out with the same formula! :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Western med students! 

I have started a youtube channel geared towards Canadian Premeds to hopefully help them with the process of applying to medical school. 

I recently did a video with a UofT med student that focused on Toronto's essays.  Since western also has essays I was wondering if any students would be interested in doing an interview/video with me on these essays!

Here is a link to my video on the Toronto essays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKRkYrERhJo&t=32s

Feel free to DM me or if you want to stay anonymous on premed101 DM on my instagram account @themedtrek or on youtube! 

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2020 at 1:34 AM, CaramelMD said:

Result: ACCEPTED!!!! (London, student portal)

Timestamp: 12:17am

2-year GPA: 3.78

MCAT: 128/126/127

Interview: Online. Initially felt good and super conversational but started to doubt myself in the past couple of months and cringed at everything I said. 

Year: 4th year  

Geography: SWOMEN

I really thought I didn’t have much of a chance given my gpa/mcat but wow I’m so surprised/happy/excited!!! This was my only interview sooo will definitely be accepting :) 

love this!! congratulations