Premed 101 Forums

If we get accepted... what's our next steps?

Sorry if I'm getting too ahead of myself, but I was wondering what our next steps would be if we get accepted? I'm guessing finding a residence wouldn't happen until closer to the start of the school year (and even that will likely be pushed forward due to COVID). We don't choose courses 1st year do we? Ugh, I don't know anything.

You don't choose courses, you're given a schedule somewhere in August of lectures or small group sessions or whatnot. No one really has any idea what's happening because of COVID-19, the 1st-2nd years went entirely online for the remainder of their year after the pandemic really hit hard. 

All the best!

Hi OP! I'm helping coordinate things for our incoming students so hopefully I can clarify. If you are accepted you will be provided with a 'checklist' of what needs to be done before school starts. Things may look different from previous years due to COVID-19, but it will be clearly outlined for you - usually this consists of making sure you're up to date on vaccines, first aid certifications, etc. 

At Western our individual 'courses' flow together really nicely, and every student does the same stuff, so no decisions need to be made about academics - all of that is planned out for you! We also try to provide some guidance about getting an apartment and finding a roomie if you want one. I would actually recommend starting to look sooner rather than later because the process may be slower right now - I think some landlords are doing 'virtual walkthroughs' or providing pictures so that should help! If you are accepted with your campus undetermined, hold off until you know whether you're London or Windsor. 

All in all try not to panic! Enjoy the ride as much as possible and take some time to celebrate before you start worrying about the details - there will always be someone to reach out to if you're confused or need help! 

feel free to message me if you have more questions :) 

5 hours ago, CHG said:

Hi OP! I'm helping coordinate things for our incoming students so hopefully I can clarify. If you are accepted you will be provided with a 'checklist' of what needs to be done before school starts. Things may look different from previous years due to COVID-19, but it will be clearly outlined for you - usually this consists of making sure you're up to date on vaccines, first aid certifications, etc. 

At Western our individual 'courses' flow together really nicely, and every student does the same stuff, so no decisions need to be made about academics - all of that is planned out for you! We also try to provide some guidance about getting an apartment and finding a roomie if you want one. I would actually recommend starting to look sooner rather than later because the process may be slower right now - I think some landlords are doing 'virtual walkthroughs' or providing pictures so that should help! If you are accepted with your campus undetermined, hold off until you know whether you're London or Windsor. 

All in all try not to panic! Enjoy the ride as much as possible and take some time to celebrate before you start worrying about the details - there will always be someone to reach out to if you're confused or need help! 

feel free to message me if you have more questions :) 

Tysm for sharing!

1 hour ago, Applicant95 said:

Does anyone know if there's a Facebook group yet? Congrats to all those who got offers! :) Excited to meet you (hopefully in-person but maybe not) in the fall!

Hey! I don't know if you've already found it but here it is if you haven't https://www.facebook.com/groups/schulichmeds2024/ 

congrats! we're all so excited to meet you guys!

44 minutes ago, newmed2.0 said:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for online CPR-C/First Aid courses? All the in-person ones are cancelled due to the current situation...

I can check with my classmates but I'll also check in with admin to see if they have a solution for this (maybe a delayed due date for the cert) because I'm sure many people are facing the same issue. I'll keep you updated!

edit: due date is already delayed until end of October but I'll still check in and see what admin has to say

2 hours ago, CHG said:

I can check with my classmates but I'll also check in with admin to see if they have a solution for this (maybe a delayed due date for the cert) because I'm sure many people are facing the same issue. I'll keep you updated!

edit: due date is already delayed until end of October but I'll still check in and see what admin has to say

Hey! Just wanted to ask if lectures are recorded and/or are mandatory? Thank you!

5 minutes ago, iwearglasses said:

Hey! Just wanted to ask if lectures are recorded and/or are mandatory? Thank you!

Hey there! 

Lectures are 99% not mandatory. For us, there were a few mandatory lectures in the first few weeks but now they are very rare. They are always recorded - it is highly encouraged that you spend your time however is most constructive for you. This gives us a lot of freedom when it comes to observerships/research etc. We do have a lot of small groups in the new CBME curriculum and small groups ARE mandatory, as facilitators are taking time to be there - I always find them to be quite valuable. You will also have patient centred clinical methods (physical exam and interviewing skills in small groups with facilitators and standardized patients) every week, and anatomy lab every few weeks - these are mandatory sessions. 

hope that gives a good picture! let me know if I can help with anything else :) 

33 minutes ago, pureblue said:

@CHG

Thank you for your response! I was just wondering - in this sample week, what would be considered a "lecture"? Large group? I'm guessing anything PCCM/LGL/SGL are mandatory?

image.png

I'm going to make a list bc I think it will be a bit easier to read through haha

Large group - Lecture usually not mandatory (note: there will be exceptions to this)

SGL "small group learning" - mandatory

Integrative SGL - mandatory

Lab - mandatory

Discipline specific SGL - mandatory

PCCM - mandatory

I know that sounds like A LOT of mandatory but on most weeks it isn't too bad. 

hope this helps!

edit: what I mean by 'most weeks aren't too bad' is that this sample schedule includes every possible group/session. You won't always have all of them on the same week and you won't always have each of them multiple times a week. There are some busy weeks, but definitely many weeks have a lot of free time

17 minutes ago, dooogs said:

Hi all! I was wondering if anybody could answers these questions:

1. What are the chances of getting London campus with an unspecified offer? When can I expect to know?

2.  When will they let us know about scholarships/bursaries?

hey! I’m wondering this too and asked in another forum and basically got the answer that most if not all unspecified campus offers get their first choice! 

20 hours ago, CHG said:

That'd be great thank you! All the online ones I can find only give 2 year certification, and it says the certification must be valid for the entire duration of medical school...

18 hours ago, CHG said:

I'm going to make a list bc I think it will be a bit easier to read through haha

Large group - Lecture usually not mandatory (note: there will be exceptions to this)

SGL "small group learning" - mandatory

Integrative SGL - mandatory

Lab - mandatory

Discipline specific SGL - mandatory

PCCM - mandatory

I know that sounds like A LOT of mandatory but on most weeks it isn't too bad. 

hope this helps!

edit: what I mean by 'most weeks aren't too bad' is that this sample schedule includes every possible group/session. You won't always have all of them on the same week and you won't always have each of them multiple times a week. There are some busy weeks, but definitely many weeks have a lot of free time

Word on the street is us and the 2024's will have all online classes in September except possibly PCCM, which is 1x / week - nothing official yet though

54 minutes ago, newmed2.0 said:

That'd be great thank you! All the online ones I can find only give 2 year certification, and it says the certification must be valid for the entire duration of medical school...

Oh! All certs are only good for two years at a time - the 'entire duration of medical school' thing just means you have to renew it. Mine expires next April and was accepted just fine, you renew all of your requirements every year. My classmates say Red Cross and St Johns should both have good online options!

26 minutes ago, anonymouspls said:

Word on the street is us and the 2024's will have all online classes in September except possibly PCCM, which is 1x / week - nothing official yet though

I've heard this too, plus the possibility of mandatory facilitated zoom sessions for small groups. PCCM would require PPE. I think the big issue is the possibility of people mixing groups outside of school which would defeat the purpose...I have a feeling nobody will really know how it'll pan out until much closer to the semester :( 

2 hours ago, bbtlove said:

hey! I’m wondering this too and asked in another forum and basically got the answer that most if not all unspecified campus offers get their first choice! 

@dooogs This is correct as far as I know. The idea is that they know a certain proportion of first round will decline, and so they expect to have enough room for you on your first choice campus. They tell you unspecified in the case that something wild happens and very very few people decline. I heard that your email said you'd know by July or something crazy like that but you can probably expect it to be much sooner than that (around the time waitlist offers start). I wasn't personally in this situation so I can't say for sure but this is my understanding from classmates! 

I also can't give an exact date for scholarships so maybe somebody else can chime in on this. The full ride Schulich Scholarship recipients are notified mid-summer I believe? Everything else is kind of on it's own timeline, the scholarship/bursary will be applied to your account likely during first semester, and then you just take that amount off of what you pay second semester. There are more bursary application opportunities that you'll be notified about throughout the year so if you meet the criteria for those it would be the same deal - applied to your account and then you pay less on your second payment. 

hope that helps :) 

45 minutes ago, Applicant95 said:

Will an email or something be sent out about housing recommendations / finding a roommate? Thanks!! :)

It's all going to be on the Facebook page! Housing guide and a roommate sign up sheet will be posted together at the end of May, along with a comparison spreadsheet of line of credit options. If you can think of any other info that would be helpful let me know! also if you don't have fb shoot me a DM and we'll figure it out :) 

On 5/12/2020 at 1:09 PM, newmed2.0 said:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for online CPR-C/First Aid courses? All the in-person ones are cancelled due to the current situation...

Hi, Schulich 2023 and first aid instructor chiming in.

There are no WSIB approved fully online courses that exist as WSIB mandates an in-person component. The organizations that offer an online/blended course will let you do the online component now and then you will have to come back and do an in-person component once social distancing measures are lifted. The provincial government will be accepting the online component as an interim certification . When organizations open back up we can probably expect a spike in registration so I will see if I can talk to @CHG and run a discounted class for 2024s in London.

2 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

why hasn't anyone mentioned the next step is to go celebrate and eat a big bowl of ice cream or other dessert of choice.

Take a moment people. Just breathe....... :)

Yeah this is important guys. One of the last worry-free summers ever.

Enjoy it. Don't think about the material, courses etc... You'll have to think about it often enough  when the school year starts.