Premed 101 Forums

UofT Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected 2020

Result: Accepted

Timestamp: May 12th 9:21am

wGPA/cGPA: wGPA 3.88

MCAT: 517 (129 CARS)

ECs: Pretty type for U of T; very research heavy - 3 first author paper (submitted on Sept 31 2019), multiple conference presentation (poster/oral), research abroad. Mediocre volunteering - hospital, crisis line, mentoring. Some leadership experiences required for work. 

Essays: Took about a month to work on them. Wrote mainly about personal experiences. Asked many friends and coworkers (doctors, med students, researchers) to read them over. 

Interview: I felt good about 1 station, normal about the other two, and really really bad for the last one. I walked out the last one 100% certain I wasn't going to get in. 

In-person or Virtual: In-person 

Year: Finished grad school and currently working 

Geography: IP

I am still in shock that I got given my gpa. This was my 4th time applying and 2nd time interviewing at U of T. U of T was also my only interview this year so I was quite sure I'll have to reapply again this year before today. This journey of application, rejection, application (repeat) has been a quite valuable experience as it helped me built character and I've met really incredible people along the way. I am really grateful for this experience, and finally getting in to my dream school feels incredibly rewarding. I really look forward to meeting all my fellow U of T classmates in-person/virtually this fall! :D

•  

Result: accepted (St George)

Timestamp: 9:06am

wGPA/cGPA: 3.97 cGPA, did not calculate wGPA

MCAT: 519 (129/130/128/132)

ECs: Diverse, almost equal entries for the different subsections for ABS. Awards were more research-heavy. Leadership-heavy volunteer and ECs.

Essays: Decent. Spent 3 full days on it, kept revising until submission, but happy with them at the end.

Interview: No idea. Was in a bad mood for the 4th question and thought I bombed it, and the others were fairly standard so I tried to answer as best as possible given the situation. Received McGill offer that week so low-pressure to the point where I slept past 12am the night before and felt almost too relaxed to have done a good job. Shocked that I still got accepted.

In-person or Virtual: Virtual.

Year: 4th

Result: Accepted

Timestamp: May 12th, OMSAS updated @ 3am (PST)

wGPA/cGPA: ?? no clue (WES undergrad transcripts)

MCAT: 507 

ECs: Very research heavy - 3 first author paper, multiple conference presentation (poster/oral), research abroad. A lot of volunteering with children and non-profits. Lots of leadership positions in grad school. A lot of creative hobbies (dance, singing etc.). I tired to keep it balanced in all sections. PM if you want more details, I will help as much as I can. 

Essays: Thought about them for at least 1 month. I got a lot of med student friends and colleagues to read them. 

Interview: I felt fantastic about 2 stations (I really connected with the interviewers), pretty great about 1 station, and kinda okay for the last one. 

In-person or Virtual: In-person 

Year: Finished PhD and currently doing a Post-Doc 

Geography: OOP

I will be declining my offer if i get into UBC!

Result: Accepted (Mississauga) @ 9:30am

Geography: IP

GPA: 3.86 (or 3.94 if EE went through to give me wGPA)

MCAT: 517 (127/128/131/131)

Degree: PhD complete

E.C: Mainly research focused (10+ publications, 5 first-author, grants, talks, mentorship, TA-ing, etc), but some other typical premed experiences too, including some decent clinical exposure.

Essays: Probably took a few weeks to a month. Got input from others which is always helpful, but I agree with what people say in terms of making them genuine & personal, gotta tie in examples you can really connect to to make it happen.

Interview: In-person. Felt pretty ok about it, though some parts were much better than others; was really hard to gauge how interviewers felt @ U of T imo. Nothing too off the wall though. 

Will likely be accepting because Toronto's always been the dream, but wanna give other schools a fair look as well before committing. Good luck to the waitlist gang getting off, and even to those rejected; this was my fourth cycle and the first time I received any interviews, so if it's the dream don't throw in the towel. There's a ton of luck (even without a lottery involved) and sometimes it just takes perseverance more than anything.

Looking forward to (likely) meeting the UofT crowd in the fall!

Result: Accepted (St. George)

Timestamp: May 12 morning 

wGPA/cGPA4.0

MCAT: 519 - 132/125/131/131

ECs: Very broad. Lots of non traditional and research.

Essays: Had them edited by two trusted sources

Interview: Online - felt awkward talking to a screen but it must have went well lol

In-person or Virtual: Virtual

Year: Last year of UG

Will be declining my offer.

5 minutes ago, StudentNumber9 said:

Result: Accepted (St. George)

Timestamp: May 12 morning 

wGPA/cGPA4.0

MCAT: 519 - 132/125/131/131

ECs: Very broad. Lots of non traditional and research.

Essays: Had them edited by two trusted sources

Interview: Online - felt awkward talking to a screen but it must have went well lol

In-person or Virtual: Virtual

Year: Last year of UG

Will be declining my offer.

Wow incredible stats. What offer will you be accepting in lieu of toronto?

Long time lurker, now that I'm in I feel like I'd like to contribute back to this community! Starting with helping out stats:

Result: Accepted (St. George)

Timestamp: ~7am Atlantic? (via OMSAS)

wGPA/cGPA4.0/3.99

MCAT: 521 (130/127/132/132)

ECs: Sort of diverse? PM if interested

Essays: Felt pretty good about these, spent ~2 weeks getting feedback and revising.

Interview: By far my best interview, the MPI really allows you to make a connection with your interviewer IMO. Felt very personal, which strangely was not the impression I got from the rest of my interview day.

In-person or Virtual: In-person

Year: 4th Year

Geography: OOP (East Coast)

Will be declining my offer. Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Result: Accepted

Timestamp: 8:56 email

wGPA/cGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 518

ECs: clinical research, non-clinical hospital, special needs counselling

Essays: Took me a couple days but I've been known to do well on essays.

Interview: IDK, felt that I did average.

Year: Graduating this year

Geography: Toronto

Result: Accepted - St George

TIME STAMP:  checked OMSAS around 6:10 AM on May 12th and saw offer; email came in at 9:14 AM May 12th

wGPA/cGPA:  3.99/3.97

MCAT: 510 (129,126,129,126)

ECs: Nothing crazy. 3 years of hospital volunteering that involves a lot of communication, over a year of volunteer-tutoring for a few hours a week, a ton of research with a first-author publication (not a big journal), mentorship of several undergrads on my project, OGS x2, NSERC-USRA x2, teaching assistant with lots of stuff to talk about.

Essays: Spent about 5 weeks on these and the Western ones (mostly weekends). Kept the can-meds/clusters in mind and had a structured way of writing with reflection. Had many people review them, but they could have been improved a bit with more time, especially my choice of life experiences to include. I don't think these were necessarily a strong part of my application.

Interview: Hard to tell because there was a question that I could not find an answer to, and then time ran out. I felt good about 2 stations (one relatively stronger), bad about 1, and thought last 1 could have gone slightly better, as I revisited questions and thought my answers were weak. But I guess if your answers to the questions that you didn't mess up are good, then that outweighs bad questions. Also, I did a ton of practice with friends, resources at my university, and 1 doctor. Also, I feel like I spent a very long time (well in advance too) reflecting on all my activities which helped. I was also trying my best to give sympathetic and genuine answers to the interviewers the day of, and admitted once when I felt a question was tougher.

Year: MSc yr 2

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of late, but still wanted to contribute:

Result: Accepted - St. George

Timestamp: May 12th (9:14am)

wGPA/cGPA: 3.99/3.94

MCAT: 519

ECs: Varied (mix of research, volunteering, several jobs) - chose to do things that interested me. A lot of stuff had nothing to do with med actually lol.

Essays: Wrote them over several weeks and tried to be honest and genuine in my responses. Had friends look over them a few times. I consider myself to be a pretty decent/good writer.

Interview: Tbh, I thought it went alright to mediocre. I was definitely not expecting an acceptance. I think I had 2 good stations, 1 was like idk, and 1 went great at first, then it might have gone downhill imo. All the interviewers were really kind and I think we had a good convo. I actually wanted to learn more about their work but ran out of time for some stations.

Year: Completing grad school

Congrats to those that got accepted and to those that didn't get the news they wanted, keep trying! I had to apply more than once too. Can't wait to meet everyone!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 8:40 AM, bruh said:

Result: ACCEPTED (St. George)

Timestamp: 9:22 AM. Offer was up on OMSAS at ~7:30 AM

wGPA/cGPA: 3.60 cGPA!! (ineligible for wGPA, submitted AEE - wGPA would be 3.91)

MCAT: 510 (3 attempts: first attempt was 494)

ECs: I think my extracurriculars are on the weak side for UofT. I have no publications and just some casual volunteering in a lab. I was the president of a club and did volunteering at several hospitals. I have a lot of leadership experiences and have some experience working with indigenous populations. 

Essays: I wrote my essays the night before they were due! I am a strong writer though and have helped many people proofread their essays. I think this is what got me the interview since my GPA is so low and I have weak research. I wrote the essays like a story and made them quite emotional and personal.

Interview: I felt pretty cringe about it. I literally struggled to watch my videos after. Even then, I think I was pretty comfortable during the interview and spoke clearly and confidently. I feel like I rambled a bit and should have cut my answers shorter. It looks like I was good enough though. 

In-person or Virtual: Virtual

Year: Finished UG in 2016

I wrote a similar post when I got an interview to UofT despite my weaker GPA and EC's to hopefully inspire some of you. I am so happy that I can now officially share this success with all of you. PM101 has been a helpful community to me. I have met friends through here and everyone has inspired me to not give up. I want to do the same for anyone out there who didn't get in. As someone who was rejected for 2 cycles, I know how crushing it is to not succeed. You put all that hard work, and you know you deserve this victory, but it still wasn't enough. I have been there, and it just straight up sucks. But it's so damn worth it when that success finally arrives. As someone who has a 3.6 cGPA and got a 494 on their first MCAT, I can tell you that if this is your dream, you will achieve it. If you want this bad enough, you will get it. So don't stop. Don't give up.

• 4 weeks later...

This is extremely late but I guess better late than never!:rolleyes:

Result: Accepted!

Timestamp: Offer was on OMSAS at around 7 AM

wGPA/cGPA: 3.98

MCAT: 520

ECs: I thought they were pretty standard; lots of volunteering, 2 publications, 2 poster presentations, swimming, guitar, ukulele, employment, one RA-ship, running a book review blog (lol), feel free to DM for more details! :)

Essays: I felt confident and worked on them for a fair amount of time.

Interview: I felt the whole thing was decent, not perfect but not horrible

In-person or Virtual: In-Person

Year: 4th year BSc

Geography: Ottawa 

• 9 months later...
On 5/12/2020 at 8:43 AM, Anon_9 said:

Result: Accepted

Timestamp: No idea.... woke up to see the offer on OMSAS around 7am

wGPA/cGPA3.96

MCAT: 513 

ECs: Pretty diverse- I'll updated this post later with more details after I've finished processing this news.

Essays: I was pretty confident in them

Interview: I really really thought I bombed one of my stations, 2 were mediocre, and one I felt very confident.

In-person or Virtual: In-Person

Year: Third

Geography: Toronto

can you please list what you did for ECs?