Premed 101 Forums

Opinions on university choices: UWO or McMaster

I'm an Ontario high school student and I've been debating between McMaster and Western for my undergraduate studies as a pre-dental student. A major factor for me is cost, which in this case McMaster looks to be the better option. However, I was wondering if it was worth the extra money to go to Western that already has a dental school and potentially better pre-dental resources (ex. volunteering, outreach programs)? Would I be able to find as many clinical/research opportunities related to dentistry better at McMaster?

You probably won't find as much research opportunities at McMaster for dental related activities, but ultimately having research specifically related to dentistry is not a significant factor in acceptances. There's nothing stopping you however from going for a summer to a city with a dental school to conduct research there.

Save your money. Where you do your undergrad doesn’t matter. It’s all about your GPA and DAT score. Also McMaster is just a 45 min GoBus ride from UofT and Toronto. Have good ECs and show your best self to them. As in do ECs that you are actually interested in- it will give you a stronger personal statement and application. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 3:08 PM, k9teeth said:

Save your money. Where you do your undergrad doesn’t matter. It’s all about your GPA and DAT score. Also McMaster is just a 45 min GoBus ride from UofT and Toronto. Have good ECs and show your best self to them. As in do ECs that you are actually interested in- it will give you a stronger personal statement and application. 

Agreed. I went to York (which many of my friend’s thought would be a bad idea because it’s academic reputation is not as good as U of T) before UWO. Looking back, I’m glad I made that decision. I managed to save a lot more money, the environment at York was very collaborative compared to the cut throat environment my friends were facing at U of T. I was able to get a competitive GPA and good DAT score which got me accepted at UWO. Once you’re in and even after graduation, no one ever asks you where you got your undergrad from.