Premed 101 Forums

Noise cancelling apparatus

chocolatecake

Hey! I'm really sensitive to noise and my family is really loud, which makes it hard for me to study/sleep sometimes bc I need complete silence. Any reccomendations on effective noice reducing apparatuses? (e.g. any good brand of noise cancelling headphones, white noise machines if they work). I've trying ear plugs but I can still hear people in my house (the highest sound reduction I can find is 33db, not sure if theres higher ones out there) 

Thanks in advance :)

I bought these when the pink ones were on sale for 300$ CAD. I even saw them at 200$ on boxing day one time and I regretted not buying them then.

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/product/B07NXDPLJ9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I absolutely love them mainly because they are so comfortable, and the noise cancellation works very well. The sound is very clean and there is no delay with the image when I watch videos (which was an issue I had with other bluetooth headphones). My boyfriend bought a pair a year ago and I was always steeling them from him haha, so I'm happy I finally got my own!

Can't compare with other brands but you can find multiple comparison reviews on youtube :) 

I do have the Bose QC25 (the previous wired model) which work fairly well. But word of warning: the active noise cancellation technology will be great at eliminating constant (low frequency) noises but they will not filter out normal chatter. So if you’re going for complete silence, I sometimes like to throw in regular ear plugs and then put my noise cancelling headphones on top, which does a good job at filtering most of the environmental noise. 

28 minutes ago, idekanymore7 said:

I do have the Bose QC25 (the previous wired model) which work fairly well. But word of warning: the active noise cancellation technology will be great at eliminating constant (low frequency) noises but they will not filter out normal chatter. So if you’re going for complete silence, I sometimes like to throw in regular ear plugs and then put my noise cancelling headphones on top, which does a good job at filtering most of the environmental noise. 

Agreed. I have Bose QC35 wireless model. I love them and they're great at ambient constant noise cancellation but if someone is speaking it does go through. I always have sort of elevator music playing (pretty even, similar classical/instrumental music) which for me effectively blocks voices while working. For sleep, imo these aren't comfortable enough (you can't turn your head L/R on your pillow) and would say unfortunately regular earplugs seem like your go to. There are Bose Sleep Pods designed for this though I believe? Though I haven't tried them personally.

I have tried Bose QC35 II, Sony WH1000XM3 and Airpods Pro. 

AirPods Pro dominates hands down in terms of noise canceling and portability. Plus, being in-ear earbuds they do not weigh down on your ears / neck much even after prolonged use.

Only caveat is that your ear anatomy may not fit well with the Airpods. Personally, my helicis crus began to hurt after 1h of use, but my partner did not experience any discomfort with prolonged use. YMMV.

Edited by ArchEnemy

13 hours ago, idekanymore7 said:

Maybe they improved since? Because when I have music playing (with the QC35 model), even if it's not that loud, I can't even hear someone speaking right next to me! I think it's a good choice for someone who likes to work with music on, but maybe not for complete silence, that's true.

21 hours ago, chocolatecake said:

Hey! I'm really sensitive to noise and my family is really loud, which makes it hard for me to study/sleep sometimes bc I need complete silence. Any reccomendations on effective noice reducing apparatuses? (e.g. any good brand of noise cancelling headphones, white noise machines if they work). I've trying ear plugs but I can still hear people in my house (the highest sound reduction I can find is 33db, not sure if theres higher ones out there) 

Thanks in advance :)

LOL can totally relate. I prefer pure silence so I bought a pair of construction headphones that just go around your ear and protect them from sound. If you don't want to use music. or, maybe you could get the airpods pro and play something very low and turn on the noise cancellation. 

I really like 3M ear plugs- you can find them on amazon. They work really well compared to others I have tried. I will also sometimes put on a fairly loud fan right behind my desk, and these two things together work really well. I have not yet felt I need to buy noise cancelling headphones.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys ! I think I need noise cancelling headphones/earphones because I can't concentrate when studying in public. But I don't study with music either. What would you recommand for me that is not too expensive ? 

Are the new airpods any good ? I have an apple gift card so it would be cheaper.. I am worried that they won't fit in my ears tho..! 

Thank you so much!!

For studying, I adore both my Sony WH1000XM3s and AirPods Pro, but I would not sleep in them. Unless you're exclusively a backsleeper (which isn't terribly good for you anyways), you're gonna wake up with some gnarly ear pain.

You might want to look into some sleep-specific headphones like those outlined in this video: