Premed 101 Forums

FULL COURSE LOAD CONFUSION

Hi everyone, 

I just want to double check the Dalhousie Full course requirement, they say:

"While successful completion of a full 60 credit hour course load in the 2 most senior years of a baccalaureate degree program is generally expected and preferred, the Admissions Committee may consider individuals who submit applications which effectively demonstrate exceptional circumstances and are able to provide sufficient evidence for sustained academic ability despite an incomplete course load. "

So if I have a 30 credits (full time, 10 courses) Sept-April Year 1, 2, 3 and then half of year four is full-time (5 courses), other half is 4 courses (I withdrew from one course in my final semester year 4, and took one course the next fall 2019, and one course in winter 2020), I am not eligible to apply? :(

So this GPA calculation option only if you are full-time Year 1-4 Sept-Apr, correct?

c) Baccalaureate year 1 (30CH) + Baccalaureate Year 2 GPA (30CH) + Baccalaureate Year 3 GPA (30CH)

I am a little confused and would appreciate help! Thank you :) 

I recommend that you call or email the Dalhousie Medicine admissions office directly for questions around application requirements. They are so nice and will answer your questions the most accurately. It's really important to understand the requirements to apply and get information right from the source. 

It does seem like they would use your first three years to calculate your GPA, but it's important that you check with the admissions office.

I hope this helps!

4 minutes ago, avocado_toast said:

I recommend that you call or email the Dalhousie Medicine admissions office directly for questions around application requirements. They are so nice and will answer your questions the most accurately. It's really important to understand the requirements to apply and get information right from the source. 

It does seem like they would use your first three years to calculate your GPA, but it's important that you check with the admissions office.

I hope this helps!

Thank you for the reply! Ill call in tomorrow :) 

19 hours ago, bekind said:

Hi everyone, 

I just want to double check the Dalhousie Full course requirement, they say:

"While successful completion of a full 60 credit hour course load in the 2 most senior years of a baccalaureate degree program is generally expected and preferred, the Admissions Committee may consider individuals who submit applications which effectively demonstrate exceptional circumstances and are able to provide sufficient evidence for sustained academic ability despite an incomplete course load. "

So if I have a 30 credits (full time, 10 courses) Sept-April Year 1, 2, 3 and then half of year four is full-time (5 courses), other half is 4 courses (I withdrew from one course in my final semester year 4, and took one course the next fall 2019, and one course in winter 2020), I am not eligible to apply? :(

So this GPA calculation option only if you are full-time Year 1-4 Sept-Apr, correct?

c) Baccalaureate year 1 (30CH) + Baccalaureate Year 2 GPA (30CH) + Baccalaureate Year 3 GPA (30CH)

I am a little confused and would appreciate help! Thank you :) 

From the course load requirements page as well : "To be eligible to apply to Dalhousie Medical School, a full course load of five full classes (30 credit hours) in each of the two most senior years of the baccalaureate degree submitted for assessment is generally required"

Says they look at your most senior years.. but then also says "generally" in there so I would contact them and see if you are eligible for special consideration!

3 hours ago, Jessletmein said:

From the course load requirements page as well : "To be eligible to apply to Dalhousie Medical School, a full course load of five full classes (30 credit hours) in each of the two most senior years of the baccalaureate degree submitted for assessment is generally required"

Says they look at your most senior years.. but then also says "generally" in there so I would contact them and see if you are eligible for special consideration!

Thank you for the reply and help :) 

I will e-mail Dal if I can't find the answer here, but in case someone has already gone through the process, can one request an exemption of full course load if the undergraduate degree isn't completed at the time of applying? That's not clear to me based on the website wording. 

I'm entering 4th year of undergrad, with 4.0 and 121 credits completed (Including summers & CLEP transfer credits), but I'm short 2 credits in my second year to fulfill the 30CH because I took 12 credits during that spring semester. 

Edit: I just saw in the forum that they're not counting winter 2020 credits, which would probably screw me even if my request for exemption was approved. That was my biggest semester at 19CH - Ah.