Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

is having a low 80 average competitive for dental schools in canada?


Recommended Posts

On 5/11/2020 at 4:56 PM, FUBIC said:

from uwo

Typically mid to high 80s give you a fair chance if you have a good DAT and EC history. Western seems to weigh your essays and ECs more so than UofT so factor that in. Assuming you’re from Ontario those 2 are your best bet. If you have to apply to other provinces then you’d likely have to aim for high 80s to low 90s. 
 

Having a low 80 average in Canada (being an Ontario resident) isn’t “competitive” on its own BUT can give you a shot if you have high DAT scores and a good EC profile. DM me if you have any questions :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheMolarBear said:

Typically mid to high 80s give you a fair chance if you have a good DAT and EC history. Western seems to weigh your essays and ECs more so than UofT so factor that in. Assuming you’re from Ontario those 2 are your best bet. If you have to apply to other provinces then you’d likely have to aim for high 80s to low 90s. 
 

Having a low 80 average in Canada (being an Ontario resident) isn’t “competitive” on its own BUT can give you a shot if you have high DAT scores and a good EC profile. DM me if you have any questions :) 

I concur :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, strawburry said:

do most successful applicants to dental school have dentistry related extracurriculars? 

I’d say probably yes but not to the extent you’d think. Shadowing hours are likely weighed the most. Afterwards, ECs become something you can use to talk about personal development. They don’t really need to be dentistry related at that point.
Your ECs should highlight attributes about you and show you’re a good fit into the profession. Things like leadership, teamwork and research are all transferable regardless of what field you were in. 
From personal experience I can say that yes there are people who have lots of dentistry related ECs BUT there are also lots of people who either only shadowed or didn’t shadow at all and had cool stories to tell from other experiences. Let me know if this helps :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, strawburry said:

do most successful applicants to dental school have dentistry related extracurriculars? 

The only dent related extracurriculars I had was 2 hours of shadowing. Most of my experience I had for dentistry was being a patient myself haha. I actually don't think they are valued that much or at all, it is more important you have a great personality that's suited for dentistry

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DentKoolKid said:

The only dent related extracurriculars I had was 2 hours of shadowing. Most of my experience I had for dentistry was being a patient myself haha. I actually don't think they are valued that much or at all, it is more important you have a great personality that's suited for dentistry

thanks for letting me know! and can i ask what you did during your gap year? i just finished undergrad and i'm not sure what to do next (probably will try to get some more work and volunteer experience? also thinking about studying for the dat)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, strawburry said:

thanks for letting me know! and can i ask what you did during your gap year? i just finished undergrad and i'm not sure what to do next (probably will try to get some more work and volunteer experience? also thinking about studying for the dat)

I messaged you

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TheMolarBear said:

I’d say probably yes but not to the extent you’d think. Shadowing hours are likely weighed the most. Afterwards, ECs become something you can use to talk about personal development. They don’t really need to be dentistry related at that point.
Your ECs should highlight attributes about you and show you’re a good fit into the profession. Things like leadership, teamwork and research are all transferable regardless of what field you were in. 
From personal experience I can say that yes there are people who have lots of dentistry related ECs BUT there are also lots of people who either only shadowed or didn’t shadow at all and had cool stories to tell from other experiences. Let me know if this helps :) 

thanks so much for your answer :) love your username

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2020 at 12:58 AM, 123321123321 said:

@Starburst is correct. With some exceptions, applicants should aim for a 90+. You want to be in denial, be my guest :) 

Why are you trying to fight? I dont understand why rude comments give you satisfaction. Im not being denial. Go check yourself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FUBIC said:

Why are you trying to fight? I dont understand why rude comments give you satisfaction. Im not being denial. Go check yourself.

@FUBIC

Dude, @Starburst answered your question. You freaked and called him a troll. He may have said something you disagreed with or didn't want to hear, but you over-reacted. Thus, @123321123321's comment on you being in denial. Not the nicest of comments, but an astute observation.

The forum has agreed that low 80 is not a competitive GPA in Canada, that doesn't mean that you can't get into dental school but it means you are going to have to try hard to even get your foot into the door. Because GPA + DAT is literally the earliest and easiest thing that they'll look at to determine if you will move forward to an interview. Here I would concur in part with @TheMolarBear. Either way you answer should be to go back and work on yourself either through your GPA or DAT or EC. 

Helping you with this comment doesn't give me any satisfaction because I have no interest in trying to prop up your ego, but in any career, I would worry about your ability to take criticism. Not everyone is out to get you, and if you lash out at people who are trying to help you, you aren't going to go far.  

On 5/13/2020 at 1:00 PM, DentKoolKid said:

The only dent related extracurriculars I had was 2 hours of shadowing. Most of my experience I had for dentistry was being a patient myself haha. I actually don't think they are valued that much or at all, it is more important you have a great personality that's suited for dentistry

It's like @DentKoolKid said do you have a great personality that's suited for dentistry? Do people on this forum want to be your classmate? Reflect on your comments if there are any indications. Best of luck. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Each school calculates GPA differently as well. So check out what each school does and go from there. If low 80 is your top two UG years (like how western calculates it), you might have a chance. Maybe with some good essays and a stellar interview. If the low 80 is ur cumulative GPA of your top three years (like how toronto calculates it) then you might be in tough waters. Usually a grad student would have a better shot but it's kinda tough with that. I dont know what your GPA is for each school though so try and calculate that I guess. 

Best of luck dude/dudette

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...