Premed 101 Forums

2019-2020 UofA Admission Decisions

2 hours ago, Pgeer said:

Result: Invite!

Geography: IP

GPA: adjusted- 3.75, non-adjusted- 3.62

MCAT: 519

Degree: BSc 2019

E.C.: 4 research studentships with scholarships, mentored high-school research students, 4 conference abstracts, 1 lead authorship of a manuscript currently in review, volunteer coach of a U8 and U18 soccer team, 2 abroad volunteer experiences (1 medical, 1 not), best man at wedding, MC at wedding, long-term sports involvement. Other than research, I didn't have any special ECs. I just really tried to emphasize how each activity expanded my maturity and outlook on life.

Interview: The virtual format definitely felt awkward for the first minute or so, but I soon calmed down and focused on making my answers feel like a conversation rather than a template script. It felt good at the end, but I definitely didn't think it would be much better than the average applicant.

Thoughts: I definitely thought my GPA would keep me from receiving an acceptance! I hope this helps for those who have a below average GPA! As most med applicants, I didnt feel I was competitive enough to receive an acceptance letter, so this is quite a surprise and I feel incredibly fortunate :)

woah did you actually write about being a bestman and mc at wedding? that's super cool and unique! I didn't know you could mention things like this

Result:  Regrets

Geography: IP

GPA: 3.71

MCAT: 513 

Degree: Bcomm

E.C: 8/17

Interview: Pass ( I thought my interview went well, they seemed to like what I had to say)

Thoughts: Disappointed :( I'm not really sure where to go from here as all my volunteering is on hold due to COVID-19 so I can't improve my activities 

Result: Accepted!

Geography: IP

GPA: 3.66

MCAT: 515 (130 CARS)

Degree:  B.Sc (Kin), MBA

EC: Boys and Girls club volunteer, fundraising for various charities, food bank drives, student government x2, some prestigious awards, lots of employment with progressive responsibility, worked through both degrees, started a business, leadership role in political organization, leadership roles in med-tech. Also satisfied the rural criteria.

Interview: Ok, but not great. I don't think I gave very coherent or polished responses, but I do think I showed them my personality and values, and tried to demonstrate how they align with the school's values. I didn't do much prep for these interviews but did familiarize myself with the MMI format. I have a fair amount of previous interview and public speaking experience so felt as prepared as I could be, although it wasn't my best performance. My approach was to show them my thought processes rather than focus on getting the answer right.

Thoughts: So happy and relieved! I felt going in that my application was pretty strong, with the exception of my GPA. My GPA started weak and ended strong which I addressed briefly in my statement. I tried to weave my 5 accomplishments together into a narrative of how I came to know medicine was right for me. Don't know if that helped or not. After the interview I was pretty nervous. Grateful to have this opportunity and I can't wait for classes to begin!

Result: Rejected

GPA: 3.87

MCAT: 127.5

Degree: Bsc, Master of Science (Molecular Medicine, Germany)

E.C: 7/17. Lots of Leadership roles throughout undergrad, travel, 1 publication (co author) in Switzerland. Lots of volunteering (first nations and immigrants, also in Guatemala)

Interview: Fail. Felt awkward and the mmi type question was not the best... 

Thoughts: my spouse and I are debating what to do next. It's the 4th try and we are considering St George U Grenada.

Result: Accepted - long time lurker

GPA: 3.68

MCAT: 509 (128/126/129/126)

Degree: BSc (Biology), MSc (in progress)

E.C: Past cycle: 7/17 in 2018 (before MSc). Mature applicant, partial completion of BScN with clinical experience, non-science related work (maintenance worker & assistant manager), science related work (research assistant most undergrad summers & lab tech one year post BSc), 1 publication with another manuscript under review when application was submitted, NSERC CGS-M & other large scholarships, developed de novo e-phys protocol during MSc, VP of department's students' assoc., light volunteering (working with vulnerable pops, event organizer, no clinical listed), & hobbies (drawing & skateboarding for 20+ yrs, carpentry, baking, diverse...).

Interview:  Solid considering the format changes. In-person practicing was huge for me.

Thoughts: Rejected pre-interview from UofA and UofC in 2018. Rejected pre-interview from UofC this year - all you need is one. It's clear that they're looking at much more than grades. Don't lose hope if you have a less than stellar GPA and MCAT.

1 hour ago, burneraccount909 said:

Yup I was. I'd email the Admissions office and see if they can re-send the right link

Yes they sent me the wrong link as well. Email back and let them know!! I’m still having trouble joining...I put in my Alberta email to verify and I get an error. I messaged one of the page admins but haven’t heard back 

3 hours ago, coffeeandmed said:

Yes they sent me the wrong link as well. Email back and let them know!! I’m still having trouble joining...I put in my Alberta email to verify and I get an error. I messaged one of the page admins but haven’t heard back 

Im having the same issue as you! 

5 minutes ago, coffeeandmed said:

Okay I messaged one of the moderators and he said to make sure the primary email for your Facebook account is your U of A email. I did that and it worked! I hope that helps. 

Silly technical question... my primary email is not currently my UofA e-mail, I was able to add it as an additional address, but cannot switch it to be my primary address. How were you able to do this? Thanks in advance!! 

6 minutes ago, Blackbelt1998 said:

Silly technical question... my primary email is not currently my UofA e-mail, I was able to add it as an additional address, but cannot switch it to be my primary address. How were you able to do this? Thanks in advance!! 

I'll do my best to answer! I'm doing this from my mac on the Facebook site...the steps might be slightly different on a phone. 

So in your general account settings, go to the contact section. Your primary email will be listed in the middle and on the right, it will say "Edit" (in blue). Click on "Edit". This will show all of the emails associated with your Facebook account. Underneath the address, there will be an option to change your uAlberta email to the primary address associated with your account (light grey writing).

Let me know if this works or if you have any other questions. I tried uploading a screenshot but the file is too big. 

12 minutes ago, coffeeandmed said:

I'll do my best to answer! I'm doing this from my mac on the Facebook site...the steps might be slightly different on a phone. 

So in your general account settings, go to the contact section. Your primary email will be listed in the middle and on the right, it will say "Edit" (in blue). Click on "Edit". This will show all of the emails associated with your Facebook account. Underneath the address, there will be an option to change your uAlberta email to the primary address associated with your account (light grey writing).

Let me know if this works or if you have any other questions. I tried uploading a screenshot but the file is too big. 

You’re a genius!! Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! :) 

2 hours ago, coffeeandmed said:

Okay I messaged one of the moderators and he said to make sure the primary email for your Facebook account is your U of A email. I did that and it worked! I hope that helps. 

Were you able to join the Class of 2024 FB group? I only got a link to the 2023 class page...

2 hours ago, coffeeandmed said:

Ohhh that sounds like it would fix the problem! Thank you!! 

Result: Accepted 

Geography: OOP

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 528

Degree: MD, PhD, MSc, BSc

E.C: 149 publications, Astronaut, firefighter, Father, Professor, Olympic gold medalist, cardiologist, surgeon, ophthalmologist and optometrist, . I also deliver newspapers on the weekend. Surprised I received a 17/17. 

Interview: Not bad, personally I found it a bit less difficult than my astronaut interview but a bit more difficult than my residency interview, but slightly more difficult than winning an olympic gold medal and only somewhat less difficult than being a surgeon. However, I guess it was still a bit less difficult than my attending interview but just sorta easier than my optometry school interview. I hope this is accurate, please let me know if you have any questions. 

Thoughts: With my stats and credentials I wasn't expecting an acceptance but I'm ecstatic to be part of this years class.  

1 minute ago, Genius_MD, PhD, MSc, BSc, said:

E.C: 149 publications, Astronaut, firefighter, Father, Professor, Olympic gold medalist, cardiologist, surgeon, ophthalmologist and optometrist, . I also deliver newspapers on the weekend. Surprised I received a 17/17. 

Interview: Not bad, personally I found it a bit less difficult than my astronaut interview but a bit more difficult than my residency interview, but slightly more difficult than winning an olympic gold medal and only somewhat less difficult than being a surgeon. However, I guess it was still a bit less difficult than my attending interview but just sorta easier than my optometry school interview. I hope this is accurate, please let me know if you have any questions. 

Thoughts: With my stats and credentials I wasn't expecting an acceptance but I'm ecstatic to be part of this years class.  

WHO ARE YOU LOOOOOOL I CRIED HAHAHA

26 minutes ago, Genius_MD, PhD, MSc, BSc, said:

This is gold

10 hours ago, Genius_MD, PhD, MSc, BSc, said:

As a rejected OOP its hard to not feel like this is accurate