Premed 101 Forums

Western Waitlist Party 2019-2020

26 minutes ago, notagunner said:

Serious question, why does a low waitlist even exist if the normal waitlist doesn't even get filled out?

That's a good point. Maybe it's juuuuuuuuuuuust in case so that if for some odd reason they got through high and normal waitlist they still had applicants to choose from? Perhaps they're just covering their bases :confused:

28 minutes ago, notagunner said:

Serious question, why does a low waitlist even exist if the normal waitlist doesn't even get filled out?

I assume Western's waitlist is just as long as other schools' that have a large surplus of students to fill their spots in unforseeable circumstances. If there's no reason to reject (no red flags, meets basic requirements etc.), they might as well just put you on the waitlist. At least they give you some closure that you're most likely not getting off.

12 hours ago, Scrubadubdub said:

Hmm, the AFMC document showed that for the 2018/19 application cycle, 78 people declined a seat that was offered to them at Western, which then likely means that 78 people were offered a spot from the waitlist (high and normal). This kind of echos another post I saw on this forum that said roughly a third of the incoming class at Western is made up of individuals from the waitlist 

I'm not good with numbers so my guess is probably not the best - but I feel like 2/3 of that 78 is high waitlist individuals (~50 people) and 1/3 is normal waitlist (~25 people). The number of high waitlisted individuals might be lower.. maybe something more like 30-40 people?

These are just guesses for fun. Would love to hear what all of you think.

https://afmc.ca/en/news-publications/admission-requirements1600881211_ScreenShot2020-05-12at8_55_57PM.png.5bd1d2e3388ce11ef074f624bfc0c8fd.png

I’m just wondering how the high waitlist started filling Windsor off the bat last year when 78 people supposedly got off waitlist. Doesn’t Windsor have only 38 spots?

1 hour ago, Phil Jackson said:

I’m just wondering how the high waitlist started filling Windsor off the bat last year when 78 people supposedly got off waitlist. Doesn’t Windsor have only 38 spots?

You guys are forgetting about the over-offering that schools do. A lot of the declined spots could automatically go to the surplus of those who were offered admission right off the bat (i.e. more than 170 ppl were offered admission at first)

18 hours ago, MDanon123 said:

Hi everyone, 
Congrats to everyone who got accepted! :) I received only one interview from western after third time applying and was NWL today. Super disappointed since I thought the interview went really well. I was wondering if I should start prepping for the next cycle or should look for alternative career paths. Medicine is something I am very passionate about, but at the same time, it has been a really stressful journey. I am lost rn and was wondering someone in a similar situation, mind sharing their experiences or thoughts? 

15 hours ago, premedcat said:

got low waitlisted after what I thought was a good interview, really thought I would wake up to a high waitlist. I guess this means another application cycle for me. 

I feel the exact same way. Low waitlisted after an interview that I felt I did really well on. This is my third cycle applying and my first interview at Western (my dream school) due to improving my CARS score. I interviewed a couple of times at another school that takes a low % of applicants post-interview. Although I was upset when rejected, I didn’t feel AS defeated, since the odds weren’t in my favour to begin with at that point. In this case, it’s discouraging to think that they eventually accept over 50% of interviewees. I’ve also worked so so hard to improve ever since those interviews where I was new to the process.

I feel like the worst part is reaching a certain point where I’m not sure whether I’m improving in the right area, or whether I’m doing something completely wrong. With how the Ontario admissions process works, it could just be luck of the draw due to having so many amazing, qualified candidates, but we’ll never know if that was the only reason. I’m extremely passionate about medicine, and I’m definitely going to keep pushing, but it’s also scary not knowing whether it’ll ever work out in the end.

Once you’ve applied 3/4+ times, it begins to seem like everyone around you is progressing in their careers, and it makes sense that we start thinking about alternate career paths. I’m not sure what to do at this point either, because it seems like medical schools (understandably so) don’t really like to accept people who are currently enrolled in another program. Also, with the extremely high stats that we all worked hard to get, it feels like it should eventually work out at some point. We made it as far as getting interviews, which is a huge accomplishment that many applicants never achieve.

Lol sorry for my essay/word vomit! Just some thoughts that feel good to air out with people who might be feeling something similar...

4 hours ago, Phil Jackson said:

3 hours ago, Moonlight2 said:

You guys are forgetting about the over-offering that schools do. A lot of the declined spots could automatically go to the surplus of those who were offered admission right off the bat (i.e. more than 170 ppl were offered admission at first)

Oh you're right, that slipped my mind when I was thinking about that 78. So much less than 70-80 seats going to those on the waitlist.

15 hours ago, convertedlurker said:

I've seen some anecdotes of people choosing Western or other schools over Mac because of Mac's lottery admission. Any thoughts on how this, Covid or any other factors might affect WL movement?

Mac has always had higher waitlist movement than most schools. it all depends how much people would reject mac based on the lottery. I personally wouldn't care about the lottery if I got an offer - pretty sure carms selection committees don't care. not only that, they can't just assume every applicant from mac got in due to the lottery because the first 100 admitted were not. nonetheless, some people are still concerned which could be a really good sign for anyone on the mac waitlist since it's probably going to have even more movement. any other school might have less movement. this might even affect students who have unspecified campus because it might mean they will be less likely to be offered their primary choice of campus. again, all depends on how people let the lottery admission affect their decision.

1 minute ago, TDP said:

Mac has always had higher waitlist movement than most schools. it all depends how much people would reject mac based on the lottery. I personally wouldn't care about the lottery if I got an offer - pretty sure carms selection committees don't care. not only that, they can't just assume every applicant from mac got in due to the lottery because the first 100 admitted were not. nonetheless, some people are still concerned which could be a really good sign for anyone on the mac waitlist since it's probably going to have even more movement. any other school might have less movement. this might even affect students who have unspecified campus because it might mean they will be less likely to be offered their primary choice of campus. again, all depends on how people let the lottery admission affect their decision.

Yeah I think the effects of the lottery are being overplayed. People on residency admissions committees have been through medicine and understand that anyone at the interview stage is qualified for medicine. By the time you're applying for carms, you've learned and experienced so much that your med school admissions is so irrelevant to your residency application. That's like if med schools looked at our high school stats for admissions. However, it's their decision to make for themselves. I just hope it doesn't hurt us here on the Western WL

12 minutes ago, convertedlurker said:

Yeah I think the effects of the lottery are being overplayed. People on residency admissions committees have been through medicine and understand that anyone at the interview stage is qualified for medicine. By the time you're applying for carms, you've learned and experienced so much that your med school admissions is so irrelevant to your residency application. That's like if med schools looked at our high school stats for admissions. However, it's their decision to make for themselves. I just hope it doesn't hurt us here on the Western WL

yes i totally agree! mac was my first choice school and even with this lottery it would have been if i were given an offer :'). the bright side is that since mac has a rolling waitlist, if anyone admitted to western were to wait they could potentially take a waitlist offer from mac before theirs expires. best of luck!

On 5/12/2020 at 9:45 AM, sparkles123 said:

does the time of email indicate waitlist ranking? I got my normal waitlist email at 9:07

I was wondering the same thing after looking over Ottawa Waitlist. It doesn't seem to in the past, everything seems to be random. However, this year based on what everyone has posted:

Acceptances 8:49-9:04

High waitlist 9:04-9:05

Normal waitlist 9:05-9:08

Low waitlist 10:45-10:46. 

I received the email for the normal waitlist at 9:05#confirmationbias lol 

Probably means nothing :) I want to have some hope and, at the same time, don't!!!

23 minutes ago, NWL@UWO said:

I was wondering the same thing after looking over Ottawa Waitlist. It doesn't seem to in the past, everything seems to be random. However, this year based on what everyone has posted:

Acceptances 8:49-9:04

High waitlist 9:04-9:05

Normal waitlist 9:05-9:08

Low waitlist 10:45-10:46. 

I received the email for the normal waitlist at 9:05#confirmationbias lol 

Probably means nothing :) I want to have some hope and, at the same time, don't!!!

Someone got a high WL on the other accepted thread at 9:06 am. Also, I see london offers at 9:01 and 9:02 am and unspecific offers at 8:58 and 8:59 am. I don't think they mean anything within accepted/H/N/L in terms of ranking.

4 minutes ago, rawshrimp said:

Someone got a high WL on the other accepted thread at 9:06 am. Also, I see london offers at 9:01 and 9:02 am and unspecific offers at 8:58 and 8:59 am. I don't think they mean anything within accepted/H/N/L in terms of ranking.

Lol I tried...didn't saw any HWL at 9:06 when I posted. Would NWL mind sharing what time they received their email?

2 minutes ago, NWL@UWO said:

Lol I tried...didn't saw any HWL at 9:06 when I posted. Would NWL mind sharing what time they received their email?

Good call to check this though. i was also wondering if there might be any significance. HWL at 9:06 am posted on this page at the bottom 

16 minutes ago, rawshrimp said:

Good call to check this though. i was also wondering if there might be any significance. HWL at 9:06 am posted on this page at the bottom 

ahhhhh...there is no method to this madness!!! Wish had more people posted the time they received the email. But you are right...its the first post so far which didn't fall into the above time categories. Again I am just a desperate biased NWL lol 

1 hour ago, NWL@UWO said:

I'm NWL and also got the e-mail 9:06 am if that helps 

I'm feeling more pessimistic today about my normal waitlist offer especially since I've seen some users comment on how they're worried the high waitlist might not even clear and here I am on the normal :( guess this is the start of the roller coaster of emotions I'm about to feel for the next few weeks/months :mellow: