Premed 101 Forums

Western Waitlist Party 2019-2020

26 minutes ago, convertedlurker said:

Given that they adjusted the HWL so that they could be fairly confident it would clear every year, I would estimate about 50-60 on the HWL. This is a super rough estimate based on very little evidence so don't take my word for it.

It's almost impossible to know how many people are on the NWL because they've never completely cleared it before. I've seen someone in previous years say that they clear about a third to half of the NWL. I don't know their source or how reliable that is though. Based on that and my estimate of 50-60 on HWL, that could mean anywhere from 40-90 on NWL (if waitlist movement is averaged at about 80 ppl). However, my gut tells me that HWL has more people than that. 

By the way, all of this is on the assumption that Western doesn't over offer from the start.

Feel free to challenge or debate this below because I'm jealous of the neurotic collaboration on the Ottawa WL thread. 

I get how you feel but don't be jealous of other's neuroticism that's not healthy at all... LOOL

In terms of the size, I'd say one thing is certain, the NWL is definitely larger than HWL. Personally, I don't think speculating about the numbers is a great idea cause you're much more likely to be wrong than right and that helps no one. 

1 hour ago, convertedlurker said:

Given that they adjusted the HWL so that they could be fairly confident it would clear every year, I would estimate about 50-60 on the HWL. This is a super rough estimate based on very little evidence so don't take my word for it.

It's almost impossible to know how many people are on the NWL because they've never completely cleared it before. I've seen someone in previous years say that they clear about a third to half of the NWL. I don't know their source or how reliable that is though. Based on that and my estimate of 50-60 on HWL, that could mean anywhere from 40-90 on NWL (if waitlist movement is averaged at about 80 ppl). However, my gut tells me that HWL has more people than that. 

By the way, all of this is on the assumption that Western doesn't over offer from the start.

Feel free to challenge or debate this below because I'm jealous of the neurotic collaboration on the Ottawa WL thread. 

I saw all the replies and how long the Ottawa waitlist thread was getting and I'm not going to lie I was a bit jealous too :lol: 

I spent a small chunk of yesterday watching Modern Family on one half of my screen and going through old threads on the other half trying to figure out how long the high and normal WL is just to satisfy my own curiousity and I came up with similar numbers to you (this is after promising myself the night before that I wouldn't go on this forum for at least a week :D). 

I want to think the HWL is 30-40 people just for my own sake, but I also get a feeling that it is closer to 50-60... still it feels risky to me that they would HWL that many people. Then again, I feel like a decent chunk of that original 50-60 removes themselves for other schools leaving behind 30-40 or so that actually then get offered an acceptance. 

Last year, I've noted 6 people got in off of NWL even though it seemed like there were not that many seats left since they offered Windsor to HWL pretty fast. Of course, not every applicant posts on here so there was probably more than 6 but I feel like there can't have been a lot more than that :wacko:

Also, I tried to divide up the total offers last years. They had 248 total offers last year so my guess is that its [original offers (171) + over offer (~40) + high WL (<30) + NWL(10)] and if they don't over-offer that much then that ~40 would get spread among the high and normal WL. Most of this I'm basing off of the size of the Windsor campus. This is specific for last year though

What do you guys think?

Disclaimer: I am speculating and posting to satisfy my own need for SOMETHING during this wait. It's just for fun and to get a conversation going.:P None of it is official, but its just something to talk about to pass the time

2 hours ago, Phil Jackson said:

In terms of the size, I'd say one thing is certain, the NWL is definitely larger than HWL. 

To back this up - last year HWL calls started going out on May 30th. By June 3rd they were already onto the NWL. HWL is definitely smaller than NWL, especially when you consider the handful of people on HWL who likely dropped the offer for another school. I think that’s how they keep their clearance of the HWL going! 

2 hours ago, Phil Jackson said:

I get how you feel but don't be jealous of other's neuroticism that's not healthy at all... LOOL

In terms of the size, I'd say one thing is certain, the NWL is definitely larger than HWL. Personally, I don't think speculating about the numbers is a great idea cause you're much more likely to be wrong than right and that helps no one. 

Oh I'm almost certain I'm wrong and nowhere near the correct numbers but for some odd reason I find the process of lurking through old threads and trying to crack the code very therapeutic :P

1 hour ago, Medicine12345 said:

do you guys think the time stamps in the e-mail has any significance? 

From my understanding of databases it probably doesn't. What I think is that we existed in the database from before the interview invites, ranked by alphabetical order or OMSAS # etc. and that there is just a column to distinguish acceptance/HWL/NWL. A script was used to send out emails depending on our category in that column which would explain why acceptances were sent out first, HWL next and NWL after but between those categories, there's no reason to believe we were ordered by our ranking.

However, Ottawa waitlisters have noticed a clear trend in previous years suggesting that there is some correlation to email timestamps and waitlist ranking so.... who knows lol.

24 minutes ago, NWL@UWO said:

I just don’t understand why they over offer and also almost alway clear HWL...it’s just seem redundant...when you can just have NWL and go from there.... your numbers does seem to work out @Scrubadubdub 

Where did you hear that they over offer? Are we sure that they do? I agree that it seems redundant.

22 minutes ago, NWL@UWO said:

Last year they have 78 offers declined, and with few exceptions, most of the HWLs were offered a spot at Windsor, which has 38 seats (some ppl choose to stay in Windsor, so making it a smaller number of spots being offered), so they must have over offer. Otherwise, 78 offers declined doesn't make sense. 

Maybe  those small number of Windsor offers were declined multiple times over the course of the summer and added up to 78? 

53 minutes ago, Aegean said:

Maybe  those small number of Windsor offers were declined multiple times over the course of the summer and added up to 78? 

I never considered that! However, the only reason someone would decline an offer from the waitlist is if they get off the waitlist at another school as well. I could see this happening during the first wave of waitlist offers but the probability of getting 2 overlapping waitlist offers after that drops drastically. Anyways, the only way the first wave of HWL gets a chance to decline an already declined seat at Windsor is if London is full enough for them to get the Windsor offer in the first place, which adds weight to NWL@UWO's theory that they do over offer.

I don't know if I'm making any sense lol my mind feels like mush. Feel free to respond or DM for clarification.

30 minutes ago, convertedlurker said:

I never considered that! However, the only reason someone would decline an offer from the waitlist is if they get off the waitlist at another school as well. I could see this happening during the first wave of waitlist offers but the probability of getting 2 overlapping waitlist offers after that drops drastically. Anyways, the only way the first wave of HWL gets a chance to decline an already declined seat at Windsor is if London is full enough for them to get the Windsor offer in the first place, which adds weight to NWL@UWO's theory that they do over offer.

I don't know if I'm making any sense lol my mind feels like mush. Feel free to respond or DM for clarification.

the fact that london is full by the time HWL gets offer doesn't necessarily mean they over-offer..it  just means that london is full. remember that any declined london seats go first to the unspecified people before they reach the HWL people so by the time it gets to HWL, there may not be any left.

also, some of those 78 declines could also come from people who are already accepted at an OOP school but also chose to remain on the Western WL and when they get an offer, they they decline for various reasons..

With COVID, some OOP might like to stay close to home. And Ottawa and Mac doing rolling waitlist and Queen usually start moving waitlist before Western (since western typically begin at 28 or 29 May), we might see more movement on the waitlist.

But I think with few ppl declining Mac because of the lottery, and some might like to pick Western because close to home will offset the above waitlist movement. 

I honestly think it will be a typical waitlist movement, something like 70-80. But still hoping for 2018 like 99 offer declines!!! 

40 minutes ago, NWL@UWO said:

With COVID, some OOP might like to stay close to home. And Ottawa and Mac doing rolling waitlist and Queen usually start moving waitlist before Western (since western typically begin at 28 or 29 May), we might see more movement on the waitlist.

But I think with few ppl declining Mac because of the lottery, and some might like to pick Western because close to home will offset the above waitlist movement. 

I honestly think it will be a typical waitlist movement, something like 70-80. But still hoping for 2018 like 99 offer declines!!! 

I agree! I guess it swings the other way too, especially with SWOMEN applicants who might have gone with another Ontario/OOP offer, but choose Western to stay closer to home? My hope is that all these factors just cancel each other out in the end 

I wonder what happened last year that the WL went to Windsor so fast or is that something that happens every year? :confused:

38 minutes ago, Scrubadubdub said:

I agree! I guess it swings the other way too, especially with SWOMEN applicants who might have gone with another Ontario/OOP offer, but choose Western to stay closer to home? My hope is that all these factors just cancel each other out in the end 

I wonder what happened last year that the WL went to Windsor so fast or is that something that happens every year? :confused:

So last year was the first time they dropped the CARS to 127 and introduced ABS... I do think 10-20 NWL gets in every year, and NWL is probably around 40 ppl in it. As someone mentioned that 1/3 to 1/2 of NWL get clears depending on each year, just praying for this year half of it to be clear  :) 

2 hours ago, ChocolateMed said:

How are you folks passing the time waiting on the waitlist? I'm feel like I'm losing my mind and the days are passing so slowly...

Yea, I definitely feel conscious of every day going by :(.. I have been reading A LOT to pass the time. I've been finishing a book a day for the last couple weeks as I wait. It's the only thing that really distracts me from thinking about the wait list outside of hanging out with family or FaceTiming with friends. I've got my books lined up for the rest of May and June to help me with the wait haha. I was let go from both my jobs because of COVID19 so I have a lot of time on my hands. 

How are you spending your time (and everyone else)? 

1 hour ago, NWL@UWO said:

Hey @rmorelan do you have any prediction about the waitlist normal movement this year? considering the unique situation we are in with COVID and Mac? Would love to hear your views. 

I second this!

27 minutes ago, Scrubadubdub said:

Yea, I definitely feel conscious of every day going by :(.. I have been reading A LOT to pass the time. I've been finishing a book a day for the last couple weeks as I wait. It's the only thing that really distracts me from thinking about the wait list outside of hanging out with family or FaceTiming with friends. I've got my books lined up for the rest of May and June to help me with the wait haha. I was let go from both my jobs because of COVID19 so I have a lot of time on my hands. 

I second this!

What's on your book list? I'm looking for suggestions

50 minutes ago, Scrubadubdub said:

I second this!

Same... do you have any recommendations? 

I'm trying to distract myself as well by crocheting, embroidery, cooking, and hanging out with my sister. But it's hard. 

55 minutes ago, MDWoman said:

What's on your book list? I'm looking for suggestions

31 minutes ago, ChocolateMed said:

Same... do you have any recommendations? 

I'm trying to distract myself as well by crocheting, embroidery, cooking, and hanging out with my sister. But it's hard. 

For sure! These are some recent books I've read that I really liked. I wish I knew how to crochet or embroider that sounds really cool and a good way to pass the time :)

Fiction:
- American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins 
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series (so so soooo good)
- A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess 
- A Good Neighborhood by Therese Fowler
- Red At the Bone by Jacqueline Woodson
- Different Seasons by Stephen King

Historical Fiction:
- Do Not Say We Have Nothing by Madeline Thien 
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr 
- Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Reid
- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
- The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead
- Gilead by Marilynne Robinson

Fiction/Mysteries/Thrillers:
- The Firm by John Grisham
- Miracle Creek by Angie Kim
- Defending Jacob by William Landay 
- A Time to Kill by John Grisham
- The Boy From the Woods by Harlan Coben
- The Last Mile by David Baldacci
- The Whisper Man by Alex North

Non-Fiction:
- Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport 
- Sweet Taste of Liberty A True Story of Slavery and Restitution in America by W.C. McDaniel
- Do Nothing by Celeste Headlee
- Talking to Strangers by Malcolm Gladwell 
- Being Mortal by Atul Gawande
- Maybe You Should Talk to Someone by Lori Gottlieb 
- Hidden Valley Road by Robert Kolker

Non-Fiction/Biographies:
- Educated by Tara Westover 
- Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance 
- Becoming by Michelle Obama
- Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins 
- Open by Andre Agassi 

Sci-Fi: