Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Waitlist Party 2020

22 hours ago, pleasehelp said:

Does anyone know of masters programs in life or health sciences that accept applications during the summer? I didn't really have a plan B 

Applications will be open into the summer for 1-year taught or research-based MSc programs at some well-regarded schools in the UK (Imperial College London, King's College, University College etc). Tuition is kind of ridiculous at around $40,000 or $50,000 CAD, but keep in mind that it's only 1 year full-time from around the end of September 2020 to the same time 2021. Think of it like paying $25,000 per year for a 2-year MSc program, but you finish a year early. Definitely not an option for everyone but I chose this path and was able to turn a useless life science undergrad into an employable degree related to data science and biostatistics, and at least one publication. Luckily I got into Canadian medical schools this cycle and I have the option of wrapping up the last few months of the masters while I begin med school. I encourage people to do their own research but anyone with questions can PM me.

22 hours ago, reginageorge said:

Why don’t u take the year off and work or volunteer or do research? I’m not sure if doing a masters helps that much at the end. It’s a lot of time, money, and work, and people get in without doing it all the time. Just wondering. Cause I really don’t know much about it either :)

A Master's could help opening up more employable venues, especially in the industry. An MPH is one-year and is great too. Good for plan B, but probs not as useful for med admissions. It's really frustrating how applicants have to face this dilemma of employability vs. admission gamble.

A premed bachelor's is unfortunately largely useless. :(

Well boys and girls, probs gonna call it quits after tomorrow. I've been lurking on this forum for 2 weeks now and y'all seem like real nice, genuine people and I hope all of you will get accepted into med school next year if not this year. Been feeling like garbage after seeing a bunch of my friends get accepted to all different med schools while I could barely scrape by with interviews but at least we're guaranteed an interview next year. And hey, everybody goes through life at their own pace. It still may be premature for me to lose hope so quickly but I think a lot of people may be feeling what I've been feeling, I get particularly neurotic and stressed with these kind of things and at some point I have to come to terms with maybe this year ain't it. But no matter what happens, try to stay cheerful y'all, although that's easier said than done especially with the recent events going on the world but that's life I suppose. Cheers y'all, stay frosty.

56 minutes ago, HugeEuge said:

You must be the most pessimistic person I've ever seen on these forums. Every post assuming the worst. Look on the bright side for once, you'll be a happier person because of it.

lmao what? they're just being realistic, not pessimistic. we've all put so much hard work into these applications. I think we're allowed to feel however we feel. 

2 hours ago, reginageorge said:

lmao what? they're just being realistic, not pessimistic. we've all put so much hard work into these applications. I think we're allowed to feel however we feel. 

My statement was not just based on that one comment. Feel how you want to feel, I was just pointing out an obvious trend.

38 minutes ago, MDWoman said:

Has no one heard anything from McMaster for the past 7 days? If you’ve been given a spot Off the WL over the week please let us know because this kind of WL movement seems unusual for Mac

People in the mac gc asked whether there had been any movement last week and no one replied... so either nobody wants to say anything or there hasn’t been any movement at all :blink: hoping there’s news this week!

15 minutes ago, fingerscrossed2020 said:

People in the mac gc asked whether there had been any movement last week and no one replied... so either nobody wants to say anything or there hasn’t been any movement at all :blink: hoping there’s news this week!

We all appreciate you reaching out and checking!