Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Waitlist Party 2020

6 minutes ago, ijustwantanmd said:

Stressed out and pretty sad, tbh I don't know if I should keep hoping or give up :(

Same and I feel so confused with the polls. Trying not to think too much about anything, but also want to give myself some kind of hope :( Wish things were more transparent. Don't know what to think. I'm open to PMs as well if you ever want to rant :)

I was really hoping that they would reveal approximate placement of interviewees on the waitlist. I guess the only think that may give me hope is seeing people post that they are getting offers off the waitlist.

If anyone was to talk, please reach out

3 minutes ago, MDWoman said:

I was really hoping that they would reveal approximate placement of interviewees on the waitlist. I guess the only think that may give me hope is seeing people post that they are getting offers off the waitlist.

If anyone was to talk, please reach out

6 minutes ago, Messorem said:

Same and I feel so confused with the polls. Trying not to think too much about anything, but also want to give myself some kind of hope :( Wish things were more transparent. Don't know what to think. I'm open to PMs as well if you ever want to rant :)

11 minutes ago, MDLD said:

hey I know the feeling, as I am currently feeling it to. 

You're not alone, feel free to PM if you need a friend to talk to, or rant to lol 

13 minutes ago, ijustwantanmd said:

Stressed out and pretty sad, tbh I don't know if I should keep hoping or give up :(

I will be rejecting McMaster and I think many others will too under the circumstances  (PM for details) so don't lose out on hope, stay strong and good luck!

i dont think they over offered and instead made the waitlist bigger. my reasoning for this is that they said they're only sending out 200 offer initially (100 rank and 100  lottery) so i think they would've mentioned if they were over offering(i guess i have faith that mac wont lie to us). That being said assuming the waitlist is 200 ppl (kind of a random guess) and since mac usually has 115~ additional offers then being on the waitlist doesn't seem that bad assuming since its close to 50%~ whether or not you get in. If my math is wrong can someone correct me im throwing numbers around haha

7 minutes ago, GamingMD said:

i dont think they over offered and instead made the waitlist bigger. my reasoning for this is that they said they're only sending out 200 offer initially (100 rank and 100  lottery) so i think they would've mentioned if they were over offering(i guess i have faith that mac wont lie to us). That being said assuming the waitlist is 200 ppl (kind of a random guess) and since mac usually has 115~ additional offers then being on the waitlist doesn't seem that bad assuming since its close to 50%~ whether or not you get in. If my math is wrong can someone correct me im throwing numbers around haha

I feel like most schools over-offer especially McMaster. They have historic data where they see the waitlist movement and can safely offer 50 up to even 100 spots over (but that would be very risky)

9 minutes ago, GamingMD said:

450 lottery - 100 offer = 350 left

250 waitlist 100 reject 

OR 300 waitlist 50 reject - based on the lack of reject responses (either from bias or true lack of rejects sent out), I feel like this is accurate

Mac waitlist usually moves by >100 which does not include those that take themselves off the waitlist by accepting other Ontario offers. So 1/3 chance for waitlisters

6 minutes ago, William Osler said:

450 lottery - 100 offer = 350 left

250 waitlist 100 reject 

OR 300 waitlist 50 reject - based on the lack of reject responses (either from bias or true lack of rejects sent out), I feel like this is accurate

Mac waitlist usually moves by >100 which does not include those that take themselves off the waitlist by accepting other Ontario offers. So 1/3 chance for waitlisters

Are we sure that the numbers don’t include the people that take themselves off the waitlist? 

22 minutes ago, GamingMD said:

14 minutes ago, William Osler said:

I feel like most schools over-offer especially McMaster. They have historic data where they see the waitlist movement and can safely offer 50 up to even 100 spots over (but that would be very risky)

5 minutes ago, MDWoman said:

Are we sure that the numbers don’t include the people that take themselves off the waitlist? 

McMaster tends to have a lot of people on the waitlist because they know it is usually people's last choice within Ontario because they are not suited for everyone. Historically there is a lot of waitlist movement but it is still not a guarantee of course. 

McMaster doesn't over offer, they give the exact amount as far as I know. 

They gave more waitlisters this year becuase they know people understand that COVID has messed up their program worse than others since it is 3 years without breaks, therefore there will be more rejections to offers than previous years.

McMaster tends to lie to people even about things such as how much they mandate lectures even though they claim to be self-directed so take things as you please. 

Overall, I hope this provides reassurance that you waitlisters have a decent chance to get accepted. Good luck!

4 minutes ago, justamom said:

They haven't kept any of the other past practices, so .... enuf torture please 

Exactly, I don't see why we can't have at least been given a category for where we are in the wait list. Like someone said this waitlist process can go on through the entire summer too so if I'm not going to make it I want to at least have an idea of that. 

18 hours ago, Dr. Doofenshmirtz said:

did people start getting off the waitlist right away last year?

if you look at the party from last year some people got off after a few days ..some were right up to June -or later. 

Also am getting a little sceptical about the reject silence ? is it coz no-one threw a party for them? I asked Wendy to clarify whether a similar % of applicants were outright rejected and I got back a note stating that they can't release waitlist figures ..which wasn't the question. Not that I blame Wendy in the slightest ..if I had her job right now I;d be hiding under my desk. 

12 minutes ago, justamom said:

if you look at the party from last year some people got off after a few days ..some were right up to June -or later. There's also a link in there to to the 2018 party. 

I think the majority of people, if you're lucky enough, will be receiving an email around May 26th/27th. 

May the lottery gods be on your side and the odds ever in your favour!